Aston Villa Fixtures 16/17 Fixtures Discussion Thread

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wednesday have a very good team at that level, it could easily happen.

It's a 46 game season so yes we will be losing and drawing games (cue meltdown on this forum.)

Put it this way we it is possible to get 100 points in the league and still lose 10 games over the season so some perspective is needed.

If we don't bring anyone in this week we have 6 weeks before first game to bring in half a team. It will be a test.

Big Ron did it all those years ago and I attended his first game with my dad.  We basically had a new team that day.  One of the best Villa away games I have ever been to, 2 down at half time and coming back to win 3-2 in the last minute.  Would take that result again right now.  UTV.

That is a tough one to start on, Wednesday finished the season fairly strongly and narrowly missed out on promotion. My Sister in Laws partner is a Sheffield Wednesday fan so I expect to be getting some grief early on if we lose that.

I think Derby might be tougher to be honest than Wednesday. i am glad all takeover has been completed, manager in so we can concentrate on this game fully. If Wedensday think this will be a walk in the park like we were last season, they are sadly mistaken. Bring it on 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think Derby might be tougher to be honest than Wednesday. i am glad all takeover has been completed, manager in so we can concentrate on this game fully. If Wedensday think this will be a walk in the park like we were last season, they are sadly mistaken. Bring it on 

Yeah, it seems everyone who has commented on our season ahead is imagining last year's first eleven to turn up - a huge Chinese take over, the appointment of a champions league winning coach and a first rate coaching set up appears to have gone largely unnoticed.

I'm actually excited now looking at those fixtures. Would love to got to Hillsborough but doubt I'll get a ticket. Rotherham at home though should be a good opportunity for me as I'm back in Telford that week anyway. 

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh yeah, hopefully with pre-season under our belt we will be in a lot better mindset as fans and as a team come the start of the season. At the moment the wounds of last season are still very raw, wewill  need to do a lot of work this summer to turn things around but I am more hopeful now the takeover has happened.

Sheff Wed fans on 'Owlstalk' seem to be happy to have us first game, not because they think it will be easy, but because it's better to get us first game before we get into our stride.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I hope we can seal promotion long before the penultimate game.

Dont see it being that easy - penultimate home game still leaves one home game and at least one away. Automatic promotion went to the final day last season and its rare that one/both teams are up with 7 or 8 games to go

I just hope our squad is good enough to actually win some games. Based on last year, I'm not sure they are. Fingers crossed for more signings and a decent preseason so we can hit the ground running in August. Yes, it's only 6 weeks on Sunday!