Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

4 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He made wholesale changes at WBA in his first season with approximately 12 arriving and 20 departing.  Think that would be classed as building a team from the  ground up! 

Excuse is we need to gel... He made similar changes there... and had a better start there... so whats the excuse here then?

Championship[edit]

Date Opponent Venue Result Attendance Scorers
8 Aug Newcastle United H D 1 – 1 23,502 Martis
15 Aug Nottingham Forest A W 1 – 0 22,794 own goal
18 Aug Peterborough United A W 3 – 2 8,752 Moore (2), Brunt
22 Aug Ipswich Town H W 2 – 0 19,390 Mulumbu, Koren
29 Aug Sheffield United A D 2 – 2 25,169 Bednář (2)
12 Sep Plymouth Argyle H W 3 – 1 22,190 Martis, Čech (2)
15 Sep Doncaster Rovers H W 3 – 1 22,184 Olsson (2), Wood
19 Sep Middlesbrough A W 5 – 0 22,725 Brunt (2), Mulumbu, Bednář, Thomas

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Can't listen at the moment, what's he say about Grealish? Any hint as to whether he's likely to start this weekend?

So, a roll of the dice.

Let's say Tony, after reading one too many tweets, gets an itchy finger on the red button. And gets rid of RDM in about 5 games time. 

Would that not put us smack bang back in similar position to last season, new team, no leader, no plan, etc. 

Now we haven't played teams off the park. But we haven't been embarrassed too often either...Bloody Luton, and we are still picking up points. We certainly weren't doing that last season. You might not like him, and maybe you can think of better managers that would have been realistic acquisitions at the time. But I think the only realistic option is to support the club and RDM to the hilt for the time being. 

If Sir Alex Fergie had had to put up with the likes of twitter/forums/absurd journalism would he have lasted out his first season? Let alone another 25 or however many? I think alot of people are looking for a magic wand no?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Villafied said:

So, a roll of the dice.

Let's say Tony, after reading one too many tweets, gets an itchy finger on the red button. And gets rid of RDM in about 5 games time. 

Would that not put us smack bang back in similar position to last season, new team, no leader, no plan, etc. 

Now we haven't played teams off the park. But we haven't been embarrassed too often either...Bloody Luton, and we are still picking up points. We certainly weren't doing that last season. You might not like him, and maybe you can think of better managers that would have been realistic acquisitions at the time. But I think the only realistic option is to support the club and RDM to the hilt for the time being. 

If Sir Alex Fergie had had to put up with the likes of twitter/forums/absurd journalism would he have lasted out his first season? Let alone another 25 or however many? I think alot of people are looking for a magic wand no?

I agree. We've only lost 2 out of 8.  Win Sat and Tues and things would look pretty decent. Talk about RDM going is premature imo - we need to give him time.  That said, he does need to start picking up some wins soon or the vultures will start circling - if they haven't already!

Edited by Gary Thomas

11 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He made wholesale changes at WBA in his first season with approximately 12 arriving and 20 departing.  Think that would be classed as building a team from the  ground up! 

Not sure where you are getting those stats from. I know there are some incorrect facts about his first season at WBA doing the rounds, as these have surfaced before. - It was nailed down to in his first season at WBA he brought in 4 and released 2 or something like that. Ask any albion fan, there was a policy decision made by Jeremy peace to keep the relegated squad together - as many WBA fans thought penny pinching peace would not pay premier wages in the championship.

If you dig for names and appearances - I think you will find only 2 of RDM'S signings featured in the starting 11 on a regular basis. It was more or less the same squad that got relegated by a whisker that got promoted.

Edited by hippo

7 hours ago, KSV said:

Excuse is we need to gel... He made similar changes there... and had a better start there... so whats the excuse here then?

Championship[edit]

Date Opponent Venue Result Attendance Scorers
8 Aug Newcastle United H D 1 – 1 23,502 Martis
15 Aug Nottingham Forest A W 1 – 0 22,794 own goal
18 Aug Peterborough United A W 3 – 2 8,752 Moore (2), Brunt
22 Aug Ipswich Town H W 2 – 0 19,390 Mulumbu, Koren
29 Aug Sheffield United A D 2 – 2 25,169 Bednář (2)
12 Sep Plymouth Argyle H W 3 – 1 22,190 Martis, Čech (2)
15 Sep Doncaster Rovers H W 3 – 1 22,184 Olsson (2), Wood
19 Sep Middlesbrough A W 5 – 0 22,725 Brunt (2), Mulumbu, Bednář, Thomas

8 games, 6wins, 2 draws, 0 losses is an impressive start.  Rather than see it as a negative, it actually gives me more confidence that RDM will get it right here eventually.  He is a decent manager.  We need to get off his back and allow him the time he needs to build and organise his team.  We seem to forget, the transfer window shut 3 weeks ago!  Many of our players have only played 1-3 games.  Give RDM time and he will get us winning I am sure.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

8 games, 6wins, 2 draws, 0 losses is an impressive start.  Rather than see it as a negative, it actually gives me more confidence that RDM will get it right here eventually.  He is a decent manager.  We need to get off his back and allow him the time he needs to build and organise his team.  We seem to forget, the transfer window shut 3 weeks ago!  Many of our players have only played 1-3 games.  Give RDM time and he will get us winning I am sure.

Im not so sure. 1 win 8 is very poor - and even on the occasions we played well there are still flaws to our game.  Poor defending, missing chances. I think there is more wrong then our players needing to gel

25 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I agree.. after the dust settles.. and the emotion is gone from the frustrating games we play this season... i know its the right thing to do to keep him on board. Until he loses the dressing room we are getting belted every week. At the moment we have lost less than Newcastle. Our attack may need a little time to click and we start putting teams away. The Ipswich game however.. annoyed me. I liked his approach to games before then.. and now it appears he has lost faith in his system and played a negative 5 at the back formation and we created nothing. Thats not the way to go about it. I hope against Newcastle he goes back to the way we approached the Nottingham game and actually has learnt how to close out games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Im not so sure. 1 win 8 is very poor - and even on the occasions we played well there are still flaws to our game.  Poor defending, missing chances. I think there is more wrong then our players needing to gel

I don't disagree 1 win 8 is very poor, but another way of looking at is we have only lost 2 in 8 and we have been unlucky in quite a few.  Lets say we did manage to beat the barcodes and Barnsley - that would be 3W, 5D, 2L.  Not exceptional but a decent platform to build on with added momentum and confidence.  Things can change very quickly IF he can start winning more games.  I have said elsewhere, beating Newcastle could really kick-start our (his) season.  I am sure RDM knows this and fingers crossed he pulls it off.

29 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I don't disagree 1 win 8 is very poor, but another way of looking at is we have only lost 2 in 8 and we have been unlucky in quite a few.  Lets say we did manage to beat the barcodes and Barnsley - that would be 3W, 5D, 2L.  Not exceptional but a decent platform to build on with added momentum and confidence.  Things can change very quickly IF he can start winning more games.  I have said elsewhere, beating Newcastle could really kick-start our (his) season.  I am sure RDM knows this and fingers crossed he pulls it off.

Beat the Barcodes and Barnsley and all will be well with the world. Its my fear of that not happening that bothers me. Weve won 1 in 8 - and yet were hoping to win 2 in 2 against high ranking sides ? - Sorry I don't see it.

Also you are sort of asking for credit on 2 games we haven't yet played - let alone won.

As you say things can change quickly if we start winning games. However it is RDM'S inability to do that which leads to this discussion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Beat the Barcodes and Barnsley and all will be well with the world.

Not so long ago that was "beat Forest and Branford (C.Demitri) and all will be well" then it was "beat Ipswich" etc etc,  you see where im going with this

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I don't disagree 1 win 8 is very poor, but another way of looking at is we have only lost 2 in 8 and we have been unlucky in quite a few.  Lets say we did manage to beat the barcodes and Barnsley - that would be 3W, 5D, 2L.  Not exceptional but a decent platform to build on with added momentum and confidence.  Things can change very quickly IF he can start winning more games.  I have said elsewhere, beating Newcastle could really kick-start our (his) season.  I am sure RDM knows this and fingers crossed he pulls it off.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Just now, Richard said:

Not so long ago that was "beat Forest and Branford (C.Demitri) and all will be well" then it was "beat Ipswich" etc etc,  you see where im going with this

Basically that we need to win games, yeah?  I think everyone agrees.

Â