Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The likes of River Plate absolutely destroy the notion that bowls are all " soulless " 😲

It's about the fans.

I can already see the guy in front of me at Villa Park telling me to sit down because he almost dropped his pie. 

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

But 85% preferred it to an alternative developed over three months with around twenty meetings with different fan groups. Regardless, the opinion of fans had nothing to do with why it was cancelled - or at least if it did, it was only the opinion of one fan (or maybe three).

Purslow made bad football decisions and it's really good that football and business have now been separated at the club, so that people who know what they're doing are focused on doing the things they know. Coutinho and Gerrard are on Purslow, the badge fiasco is on Heck.

The bigger question is on why the stadium expansion was cancelled, who made the decisions, what the factors really were and when that decision was made - you'd imagine it was done at ownership level - but why still isn't particularly clear - it seems to me odd, that two very experienced businessmen would spend a great deal of time, money and effort in developing plans for their business getting them right to the point where they'd start, and then pulling them out. In some ways I feel some sympathy for Heck in perhaps being the fall guy in delivering bad news. Time I guess will tell whether Nas, Wes and Purslow were right in wanting to develop Villa Park through adding seats or whether Nas, Wes and Heck are right in looking to increase the stadium yield within the existing infrastructure.

And of course, beyond that is the underlying problem of how long you can keep the North Stand going - there's a lot of money going into it this summer, so it looks like it will be around for good while yet.

Is that official then? What are they going to do with the North Stand? This will be as  General Krulak once said, like putting lipstick on a pig. The stand is not fit for purpose and a cheap and cheerful makeover is not going to be a long-term solution. Unless you rip off the roof, add seats and expand at the back. And if you did that you might as well demolish the whole thing. Anything else will just be a short-term sticking plaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So with the news about Birminghams new stadium plans and ideas, it would seem that those involved in the ‘development’ of VP are morons. And I’m disappointed in the owners for not recognising what the potential was and going through with it. Completely missed out. Only themselves to blame. Proper small time mentality. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Tayls said:

So with the news about Birminghams new stadium plans and ideas, it would seem that those involved in the ‘development’ of VP are morons. And I’m disappointed in the owners for not recognising what the potential was and going through with it. Completely missed out. Only themselves to blame. Proper small time mentality. 

You sound rattled. If you look at the numbers Wagner is talking of spending £2 - £3 billion without sharing any real business plan as to how it will all work. If people want villa to do that who do they expect to pay for it and/or how will it be funded? Our owners aren't Abramovic or an Oil state, they won't be throwing money around and not expecting it back. 

• Like 2

Yes Villa89. But two points 

1. We haven't had a proper communication about why the redevelopment has been shelved. Many of us feel it was the perfect solution for Villa in terms of the space behind the NS, cost, the inadequacies of the current NS and our need to grow revenue.

2. Those clamouring for a new build always mention how the area isn't ideal for revenue growth, the need to be on the city centre,  the need to give the city an infrastructure it can use. Well by the looks of it Small Heath already have that idea baked into their plans and it's going to be more difficult to have that as a USP for any new proposal from Villa.

In short,  they need to come up with something this summer or at the very least a proper communication about this issue beyond Heck's giddy interview last December as it's quite frankly looking like a mess given the lack of info about why the new stand was abruptly cancelled. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

35 minutes ago, andycv said:

I honestly expect this to be covered along with new badge, new kit and a number of new sponsors, as part of the 150th celebrations.

For about three years the plan was to build a new North Stand for 2026.

Even if you are correct and they announced a new plan this summer we have still, now, a firmly established pattern of flip flopping on our badge and our stadium so who knows if that plan will stick.

Faith has definitely been shaken with the off the pitch carry on.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's optimistic given past events.

Perhaps. We'll see.  If I was doing all this, that's how I'd announce the stuff.  Link it to a big celebration; talk about the next 150 years.  

9 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

For about three years the plan was to build a new North Stand for 2026.

Even if you are correct and they announced a new plan this summer we have still, now, a firmly established pattern of flip flopping on our badge and our stadium so who knows if that plan will stick.

Faith has definitely been shaken with the off the pitch carry on.

I get that to a degree - I think the club could communicate better - that's why I am expecting big things to tie into the 150 year celebration.  And I haven't lost faith.  The club has made excellent decisions football wise, and is focusing on addressing FFP via sponsorship and commercial partnerships - which is where they think they can close the gap fastest. I am all for that.  I am sure that they will get to the stadium (don't forget we're getting the Warehouse this summer) but they are prioritising their efforts on the business side to make us more competitive football wise and then I expect to allow further investment - I trust the ownership.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, andycv said:

I get that to a degree - I think the club could communicate better - that's why I am expecting big things to tie into the 150 year celebration.  And I haven't lost faith.  The club has made excellent decisions football wise, and is focusing on addressing FFP via sponsorship and commercial partnerships - which is where they think they can close the gap fastest. I am all for that.  I am sure that they will get to the stadium (don't forget we're getting the Warehouse this summer) but they are prioritising their efforts on the business side to make us more competitive football wise and then I expect to allow further investment - I trust the ownership.

What's the warehouse? 

2 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

What's the warehouse? 

The Warehouse' will have a bar, big screen zone, food and beverage courtyard and a multi-use event floor. A microbrewery will also be installed in this facility.

The Warehouse can be converted for community events, like recruitment fairs or for the use of school children. The building will also be capable of hosting indoor football events.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-the-warehouse-aston-villa-27276293

• Thanks 1

Doesn't a planning permission remain valid for 5 years once granted? Also doesn't that mean that you only have to make a start within 5 years to keep it valid? It's not that we have withdrawn our application is it - or have we?

Â