Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Commentator mentioned today that other than Wembley itself, Villa Park is the only stadium to have been used for The 66 World Cup, Euro 96 and Euro 2028.

It's a special place. 

Hallowed ground. Not sure if it was deliberate, but after the Watkins goal the commentator said when you’re smiling the Holte End smiles with you.

If it was that is some excellent delving into songs of the past to use in a commentary position.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Commentator mentioned today that other than Wembley itself, Villa Park is the only stadium to have been used for The 66 World Cup, Euro 96 and Euro 2028.

It's a special place. 

Can old Wembley and New Wembley even be classed as the same stadium. I know it's in the exact same location but I'm not sure?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Can old Wembley and New Wembley even be classed as the same stadium. I know it's in the exact same location but I'm not sure?

I was going to say the same. They're different stadiums

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was going to say the same. They're different stadiums

Is Villa Park the same stadium from 66?

I guess the lower Witton Lane stand barely. 

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The pitch isn't in the same position as the old one, whereas ours must be the same.

I'm sorry, but that's technicalities. 

Villa Park pitch isn't in the same position. It's been lowered/redeveloped.

Wembley is Wembley, VP is VP, and if we want to argue about the original stadium/turf, well, each stadium gets re-developed. 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is Villa Park the same stadium from 66?

I guess the lower Witton Lane stand barely. 

Yeah it's a good question I guess. 

To me knocking down a stadium and completely rebuilding it is a bit different to slowly developing a stadium over time. You wouldn't say the Tottenham stadium is the same as White Hart Lane even though it's built on the same site

It's semantics really

• Like 2

Ship of Theseus init. Does an object remain the same thing once you've replaced all it's parts? It's a very old debate. 

12 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Hallowed ground. Not sure if it was deliberate, but after the Watkins goal the commentator said when you’re smiling the Holte End smiles with you.

If it was that is some excellent delving into songs of the past to use in a commentary position.

Didn't he also mention the bells were ringing for the claret and blue as well? Pretty sure it was deliberate. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Ship of Theseus init. Does an object remain the same thing once you've replaced all it's parts? It's a very old debate. 

Didn't he also mention the bells were ringing for the claret and blue as well? Pretty sure it was deliberate. 

Only saw the Watkins clip so missed that, who is he ? 

15 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I really hope the Holte end stays as is.

It's referenced so often by commentators in games. No one knows the names of the ends at Tottenham, man City, arsenal etc.

It'll always be called the holte end regardless of whether it is renovated or not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I'm sorry, but that's technicalities. 

Villa Park pitch isn't in the same position. It's been lowered/redeveloped.

Wembley is Wembley, VP is VP, and if we want to argue about the original stadium/turf, well, each stadium gets re-developed. 

The french open insist that the chatrier court is still the same one even though it has now been demolished and rebuilt from the foundations up. The court stayed the same. Though Centre Court when redeveloped just had more seats and a roof added.

Â