Redundancies

sidcow

Can I start off by saying I do feel very very sorry for anyone connected to Villa who are losing their jobs and I wish them all the best for the future and hope they find something else soon

However I do remember someone saying when our last accounts came out showing the huge losses that we had loads more staff than Everton.  

So I thought I would have a stroll through some other clubs accounts on the companies house website.  It was very illuminating. 

This was the results from the few I looked at:

Everton 697

Sturk 327

Sunderland 658

West ham 600 

Aston Villa 1619

Now before anyone says these may be misrepresented because of part time match day staff they all split the numbers out between normal and match day only staff and these are the totals. Even on non match day only staff we had double the numbers of the other clubs. Only ironically Sunderland another basket case came close but even they were over 100 lighter. 

So basically we seem to be overstaffed and when I say overstaffed I mean by an utterly staggering amount. 

I am not an accountant so maybe someone better qualified can put me right but is seems pretty black and white to me. 

Added to the fact that our underqualified inexperienced former chief executive was being paid 4 times more than the average salary you have to think wtf has been going on. 

The massive losses we have been making would lend credence to the fact that money has been leaching out of AVFC which is not a charity. The club has been beaten with a stick over this issue somewhat but it sounds to me like some proper people (Hollis?) have been straight in and realised that the whole place is a crock of sh!t and actually started sorting it out. 

Looks like another symptom of the absent owner to me along with his panache for appointing bad management. .

Just such a shame that some innocents lose their jobs due to so some billionaires incompetence. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, choffer said:

At a guess, I'd think some of the discrepancy comes us having staff on the payroll in functions that other clubs have outsourced.

I thought of that but other clubs have credible differences between full time and match day staff other than sturk who only showed 55 match day staff so yes I would agree they must report the casual staff differently.  However it still doesn't explain:

1) the still massive comparable number of "permanent" staff and

2) if all other clubs are using more outsourcing than we are there must be a good reason for it. Are we p!ssing money away with direct contracts where others are saving money outsourcing? 

I am not getting involved in the question of if we are being more honorable or decent in the way we operate.  Facts are we have made enormous unsustainable losses. Kind of like giving our sponsorship to acorns because we wouldn't sell our name cheaply.  Seems very honorable and Noble at the time but in retrospect with the massive cost cutting measures it seems we really couldn't afford it

We have definitely become bloated with permanent staff over the years and we do need trimming. It's hard on those involved but we aren't a charity. If we'd have had proper management over the years we wouldn't have let this happen. It'd be interesting by how many permanent staff have increased since Lerner arrived. I wonder if any takeover wants redundancies done and dusted before they come in as sacking people doesn't create a good atmosphere for any new owner but that's me dreaming!! We need to streamline and get better cost effective so let's use relegation to get our club fit and proper. 

we all know the saying that many hands make light work but this piss has purely been taken behind managements back, who even agreed to employ so many staff, even part time?

unfortunately, these economics makes sense in people losing their jobs and closing the upper trinity, just a shame its come to this.

this would never of happened under ellis.

4 hours ago, dn1982 said:

We have definitely become bloated with permanent staff over the years and we do need trimming. It's hard on those involved but we aren't a charity. If we'd have had proper management over the years we wouldn't have let this happen. It'd be interesting by how many permanent staff have increased since Lerner arrived. I wonder if any takeover wants redundancies done and dusted before they come in as sacking people doesn't create a good atmosphere for any new owner but that's me dreaming!! We need to streamline and get better cost effective so let's use relegation to get our club fit and proper. 

You could work this out assuming the staff numbers are reported in the same ways by looking at old accounts on companies house website.  They have copies of docs going all the way back to the original certificate of incorporation in 1884 or whatever signed by William McGregor 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

You could work this out assuming the staff numbers are reported in the same ways by looking at old accounts on companies house website.  They have copies of docs going all the way back to the original certificate of incorporation in 1884 or whatever signed by William McGregor 

I know that but I've a life!!! There's too many permanents as it is so we need a cull best to do it under the veil of relegation as things can't get much worse. 

• 1 month later...

Can't see anywhere else that this has been posted and not sure if this is the right place, but I believe that Lorna McClelland the Players Liaison Officer has left - has she been made redundant too - that's just awful - surely the foreign players NEED someone like her - she was a leading light in the Premier League and organised some sort of Committee for staff at other clubs in same job.  This is not good I don't think - are they replacing her or maybe Championship Clubs don't have them !

• Like 1

I thought it was a bit strange. Maybe she took voluntary redundancy? Probably a decent pay off for length of service. 

I'm no expert on redundancy but if she was forced out, it wouldn't be possible for Villa to have a direct replacement in the same role for legal reasons. Although I guess there are ways around that to a degree.

Tim sherwood probably accounts for a third of those employees given the amount of jobs for the boys, sorry assistants' he needed

throw in a money counter for N'zogbia, a team of pastry chefs for agbonlahor and a full time fire crew to retrieve ruddy gestedes missed shots from the surrounding trees and roofs of bodymoore heath and villa park, all adds up really

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Hev said:

Can't see anywhere else that this has been posted and not sure if this is the right place, but I believe that Lorna McClelland the Players Liaison Officer has left - has she been made redundant too - that's just awful - surely the foreign players NEED someone like her - she was a leading light in the Premier League and organised some sort of Committee for staff at other clubs in same job.  This is not good I don't think - are they replacing her or maybe Championship Clubs don't have them !

Tom Fox said the club failed to integrate last seasons foreign signings well enough and not  offered them enough support, Sic.  So maybe she is carrying the can for that after kings/Bernsteins review. If it's true (and I'm just speculating) I'm glad she is going as she failed at her main duty. 

On 23/04/2016 at 08:23, AndyBM said:

we all know the saying that many hands make light work but this piss has purely been taken behind managements back, who even agreed to employ so many staff, even part time?

unfortunately, these economics makes sense in people losing their jobs and closing the upper trinity, just a shame its come to this.

this would never of happened under ellis.

He was a miserable old sod, and would probably not have employed enough staff. He would definitely have closed stands to save money. Under him we would have been down years ago and God only knows where we would be now.

Â