New Badge 2016

mattyvilla

I think people were hoping for more of a change, or to go back to a round badge.

It's a bit of getting people's hopes up and then dashing them. The new lion is great, but people expected more when they heard that the badge would be changing. To the untrained eye it's barely changed at all.

• Like 1

To do list

1. New Owner - on hold

2. New board 

3. New Manager 

4. Sack all the players 

5. Buy new squad

6. Assassinate Old players just to make sure

7. Sell real ales on match day

8. Invent a memory wiping machine so fans can forget Alex Mcleish every managed the club

10,476. Remember to record Eastenders.

10,477. Waste money on another fecking badge. 

I'd much rather an updated lion be based around the lion from the round badge. It feels more Aston Villa to me.

I had a quick go at tidying it up. I've always felt like this lion has more character than the more recent ones

http://i.imgur.com/iW5mwSm.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think people were hoping for more of a change, or to go back to a round badge.

Yeah, I think people heard "badge change" and expected it to be a complete redesign. 

It's just a refresh. A bit like we did with the old stripey shield. That had a couple of refreshes over its time.

Clubs do it all the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As I've said elsewhere, that's not how it works is it?

It's not like the board say "RIGHT! No more transfers until we sort this bloody badge out! Stop looking for a new manager, we need to finalise this branding on our stationery!"

This was probably a project undertaken by some of the commercial team and has little bearing on anything else happening at the club.

Hmm...I think I would disagree with you on that. This is exactly the sort of project that saps management time because everyone will have a view. Trust me I have been there.

My point was, and is, given the shambles this club has been for the last few seasons why did this make it into any 'to do' list. Frankly no one cares and the irony of a new badge being launched during our worst season in living memory has caused my irony meter to explode.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hmm...I think I would disagree with you on that. This is exactly the sort of project that saps management time because everyone will have a view. Trust me I have been there.

Well we'll agree to disagree then. There's no way anyone on the playing/management staff had any impact on the badge. 

And we've already established that the budget for the refresh is negligible. it's not even 2 weeks of one player's wages, so would have had no impact on any transfer business we did or didn't do.

Plus it appears as if we hired an external company to do this, so I imagine the workload for people within the club was pretty minimal.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

My point was, and is, given the shambles this club has been for the last few seasons why did this make it into any 'to do' list. Frankly no one cares and the irony of a new badge being launched during our worst season in living memory has caused my irony meter to explode.

My thoughts exactly. The badge redesign is symbolic of a 'football' club that was fiddling while Rome burned.

Whether it is £80,000 or £2 million, my sense it that Tom Fox with his commercial hat on was removed from the reality that if we didn't maintain our Premier League status everything else was incidental. His absolute initial focus should have been ensuring that we were fit for purpose 'on the pitch' but he will be remembered for increasing the commercial staff from around 230 to around 260 and overseeing a decline in commercial income. He brought in Charles Wijeratna as 'Chief Commercial Officer' who was sacked by Levy/Spurs because his only contribution funnily enough was redesigning a new badge. 

Had I been the new CEO of AVFC, I would have been 90% focussed on ensuring we had the right 'football' advisers, players, managers etc in place with the objective of reversing our then 4/5 year decline. With hindsight the decisions to appoint Sherwood, Reilly, Almstadt, Garde and mass influx of cheap players all strike me as those of a Corporate Manager who didn't know what he was doing - basically a repeat of Lerner's previous mismanagement 

Fox, ultimately wasn't a very good commercial director and more critically a terrible and amateur Chief Executive in the image of Randy Lerner. 

I would have liked the badge to maintain a more traditional feel but ultimately it is all for naught, we are being relegated because Lerner, Faulkner, Fox, Reilly, Almstadt were ***** amateurs who ran a PL club as if was just a case of painting by numbers!

It wasn't rocket science, every fan with half a brain could see what the problem was, we needed proven quality on the pitch led by a manager who could stabilise and then improve the club. 

Maybe the title of this thread would be more aptly 'Bodge Job' because that is exactly what AVFC have been for most of the last decade!

We didn't need a new badge we needed our FOOTBALL club to be run professionally! 

Rant over! 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, av1 said:

To do list

1. New Owner - on hold

2. New board 

3. New Manager 

4. Sack all the players 

5. Buy new squad

6. Assassinate Old players just to make sure

7. Sell real ales on match day

8. Invent a memory wiping machine so fans can forget Alex Mcleish every managed the club

10,476. Remember to record Eastenders.

10,477. Waste money on another fecking badge. 

Honestly, Carlsberg and Tetley. Tetley. Nobody should have to drink Tetley smoothflow at Villa Park, nobody. It's not even beer, it's stale maltwater with foam.

Edited by islingtonclaret
  • Like 1

That rant is entirely based on assumptions.

For all we know the badge re-design might have been one meeting where Fox said "We should refresh the badge. Joe Bloggs, you're in charge with the commercial department, report back to me when you're done"

It could have taken all of his time or it could have taken a completely minimal amount of time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

However much they spent the changes are so slight (in fact could be perceived in a bad way as we are no longer prepared FFS) it is a waste of money

Not really. It's a complete rebranding including merchandise and stationery etc.

That might lead to increase merchandising sales, or even contribute toward new sponsors or corporate initiatives.

I'm speculating, but there's plenty of ways that 80k could be made on the back of this change. Considering it would probably pay Micah Richards for about 9 days it's a completely negligible amount.

5 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

Having seen what looks like West Ham's badge change that is going ahead, we -MAY- have got off very lightly here.

_76346943_whufc-new-badge-300x300.jpg

LONDON! WE'RE IN LONDON YOU KNOW! TOURISTY LIKE! PLEASE DON'T THINK WE'RE NOT FROM LONDON!

On 01/04/2016 at 11:52, Jareth said:

That is absolutely horrific! :crylaugh:

7 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

Having seen what looks like West Ham's badge change that is going ahead, we -MAY- have got off very lightly here.

_76346943_whufc-new-badge-300x300.jpg

LONDON! WE'RE IN LONDON YOU KNOW! TOURISTY LIKE! PLEASE DON'T THINK WE'RE NOT FROM LONDON!

That looks a handymans badge thats friggin awful!