Formula one - 2016

jjaacckk91

I dislike Lewis as much as the next guy, but I don't you can deny he is one of (if not 'the') quickest drivers on the grid currently.

He's is also a grade A bellend. Who brings his dogs to a race weekend? He's disappeared up his own arse as nobody tells him no anymore.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I dislike Lewis as much as the next guy, but I don't you can deny he is one of (if not 'the') quickest drivers on the grid currently.

He's is also a grade A bellend. Who brings his dogs to a race weekend? He's disappeared up his own arse as nobody tells him no anymore.

How humble do you expect him to be?

He's world famous, the top dog in the coolest sport in the world. He's trying to move into the music industry and no doubt all the biggest names lining up to work with him. Social media followings most people could only dream of. Millions and millions in the bank and as you say absolutely nobody to tell him no.

You're entitled to think he's a bellend but honestly how could he be anything different given the circumstances?

36 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

How humble do you expect him to be?

He's world famous, the top dog in the coolest sport in the world. He's trying to move into the music industry and no doubt all the biggest names lining up to work with him. Social media followings most people could only dream of. Millions and millions in the bank and as you say absolutely nobody to tell him no.

You're entitled to think he's a bellend but honestly how could he be anything different given the circumstances?

If you compare him to Vettel when he was dominating you'll see the difference. Vettle was the top of the pile and he knew it, brimming with confidence but still did not come across anything like how Lewis is. Sacked his Dad to sign with an LA 'agency', chasing even more money even at the expense of his relationship with his father (after all his dad had done for him to get him to that point).

He's stopped being professional, the thing with the dogs, turning up in stupid clothes, the snap chatting during press conferences and throwing the Mercedes crew under the bus the moment something doesn't go his way. He's universally disliked in the pits, I'm sure that includes Mercedes staff too (I have a friend at Merc who confirms this).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

If you compare him to Vettel when he was dominating you'll see the difference. Vettle was the top of the pile and he knew it, brimming with confidence but still did not come across anything like how Lewis is. Sacked his Dad to sign with an LA 'agency', chasing even more money even at the expense of his relationship with his father (after all his dad had done for him to get him to that point).

He's stopped being professional, the thing with the dogs, turning up in stupid clothes, the snap chatting during press conferences and throwing the Mercedes crew under the bus the moment something doesn't go his way. He's universally disliked in the pits, I'm sure that includes Mercedes staff too (I have a friend at Merc who confirms this).

Fair points on the whole but the way Vettel has bee moaning this season he's actually coming across as a bigger knob than Hamilton in my eyes,

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Not true. That Manor girl was very quick to offer him a chair in their pit yesterday. ;)

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

People may say that Rosberg isn't as good as Hamilton so doesn't deserve it but, working under the ideology, does Hamilton? He's in the best car by far yet has not been able to manage either his temperament, his car or even his commitment as well as others.  Rosberg has driven smarter, if not as excitingly/ recklessly. In fact I'd say Hamilton has been lucky to win the Championships he did, Massa deserved it way more and only blatent disregard for his team and teammates (and better reliability) helped him secure his other wins. Why doesn't it 'count' when it's the other way round? He's good at what he does, not great.

I completely agree with this.  I know where people are coming from though.  In essence you tend to want your racing champion to be the fastest driver/car combination.  "On his day" Hamilton is clearly faster head 2 head than Rosberg is, although not by a lot.  However, over the course of a championship you need to make sure 'your day' is more frequent than everyone else's, and Hamilton has not been able to do that.  People will cite reliability issues, but even then, how much of those were brought on by Lewis' notoriously unsympathetic (read : aggressive) driving style? We can't know.  They would never say.  Yes he's very exciting.  Great to watch and it brings in viewers, but it can cost you and it seems to have cost Hamilton.  Fastest this season?  I'd say probably.  Most deserving of a title?  Let's wait for the last race.  The champion will be a deserved champion no matter who it is.

2 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

And put the likes of Max Vestappen, Ricciardo, Vettel or even Alonso in the same car and they'd  'deserve' it more. Button would probably give him a run for his money too! Yesterday's win is lorded around in the press like it was a masterful performance, completely ignoring the fact he was the only one who didn't have to contend with spray: of course he can judge things better! We have never seen him in the likes of a Manor battling, we've seen him scythe through the pack from the back of the grid for a 'marvellous' win, nicely omitting the fact he was at the back due to his own stupidity or infringements and in a car two seconds a lap quicker than anyone else.

Now I think this is bordering on criticism for the sake of criticism to be honest.  I really don't like the guy either, as I've posted in here on more than one occasion, but it's not necessary to serve your time in a Manor if you've been a McLaren protégé all your life.  Yes he was privileged, but you have to be delivering the results too, and he certainly did that.  He is a triple world champion and a silver spool won't get you all of that.  Hell, he damn near won the thing in his debut season!  Where I do agree is that his own mistakes and infringements are often the reason he is 'scything through the pack' from the back, and that can get overlooked as part of a 'marvellous' result in what is clearly a dominant car.

It's funny how Vettel in a dominant Red Bull was rarely 'scything through the pack'.  The criticism of him was that he could only win from the front.  The fact he ALWAYS seemed to be at the front then somehow got twisted to be a bitter negative.

Winners may have to have a certain mindset but Hamilton is just a pr*ck. And there are winners that Brit's like; Ronnie O'Sullivan instantly springs to mind. Many athletes and cyclists too. I don't think to be a winner you HAVE to be a kn*b, although it may often be, or perceived to be, the case.

22 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Winners may have to have a certain mindset but Hamilton is just a pr*ck. And there are winners that Brit's like; Ronnie O'Sullivan instantly springs to mind. Many athletes and cyclists too. I don't think to be a winner you HAVE to be a kn*b, although it may often be, or perceived to be, the case.

If the world puts you on an Everest sized pedestal you are a better man than me if you don't get caught up in your own hype. I'm not saying its impossible but its hardly a reasonable stick to beat someone with. IMHO of course.

Edited by AVFCDAN

I completely disagree that in order to be a winner you must somehow also be a bellend.  It's not true.  Yes those people do exist, but far more people are winners in sport and other disciplines and they are not bellends.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I completely disagree that in order to be a winner you must somehow also be a bellend.  It's not true.  Yes those people do exist, but far more people are winners in sport and other disciplines and they are not bellends.

If you are referring to Athletes in the main, then I can't help but think these people aren't put on a pedestal and idolised like others. Unless they are truly at the top like Usain Bolt for example, who some might argue is a bit of a bellend. Seems to be pattern, no?

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

If you are referring to Athletes in the main, then I can't help but think these people aren't put on a pedestal and idolised like others. Unless they are truly at the top like Usain Bolt for example, who some might argue is a bit of a bellend. Seems to be pattern, no?

You seem to be suggesting that being on a pedestal and being a bellend amount to the same thing.  They're not.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

You seem to be suggesting that being on a pedestal and being a bellend amount to the same thing.  They're not.

They aren't the same thing, but they are mutually exclusive.

You can't be a bellend if no one cares what you do or say.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

They aren't the same thing, but they are mutually exclusive.

You can't be a bellend if no one cares what you do or say.

I assume you mean they are not mutually exclusive, which I've already said above.

"Yes those people [bellend winners] do exist, but far more people are winners in sport and other disciplines and they are not bellends.

Your original point of "how could he NOT be a bellend given his circumstances" is just way off IMO as evidenced by countless other people who share similar circumstances and manage not to be anything near as dislikeable.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I assume you mean they are not mutually exclusive, which I've already said above.

"Yes those people [bellend winners] do exist, but far more people are winners in sport and other disciplines and they are not bellends.

Your original point of "how could he NOT be a bellend given his circumstances" is just way off IMO as evidenced by countless other people who share similar circumstances and manage not to be anything near as dislikeable.

I'm merely playing devils advocate in an interesting discussion ;)

Being a bellend is completely a matter of opinion really, who is to say whether someone is or isn't one, its completely subjective.

I personally don't have an issue with Hamilton or Murray, both of which seem to be love to hate figures in this country. I'm just of the opinion that you have to cut some people some slack for appearing to be arrogant or self indulgent at times, especially when they are at the top of their games and universally idolised.

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

It comes with the territory though, doesn't it?  Imagine if Ayrton Senna was still around today.

• Like 1

I'm just of the opinion that you have to cut some people some slack for appearing to be arrogant or self indulgent at times, especially when they are at the top of their games and universally idolised

as there's evidence of plenty of winners who aren't like this, there's less reason to cut them slack :P as it's proof that it is their choice to add repugnant attitudes to their repertoire. It is not essential

Lewis is F1's Ronaldo. Talented, but a pr*ck. Although I accept statistically you'll find a higher percentages of pricks at the top end of many professions too. 

Edited by Rodders

Its funny with Hamilton being hated, because Senna was idolised and he was a prick a lot of the time. Also Jams Hunt was revered for his playboy lifestyle but when Hamilton does it, he gets pelters. 

Hamilton is #2 on the all time win list due to being gifted it from a young age... clearly, sigh!

Rosberg will be an undeserving champion in the same mold as Button and some of Schumacher's uber dominate zero-competition wins. 

Â