Formula one - 2016

jjaacckk91

has rosberg ever won a race where he didn't need to have Hamilton impeded in some way? It's like he can only win if Lewis has a hand behind he's back.

dreadful race in terms of entertainment

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Today's race summed up a lot of what is wrong with F1.

The engineers not allowed to talk to the drivers is frankly ridiculous.

I loved it. Hamilton has the best car because it has the best engineering. That's one part of the team.
The other part is the driver. The team employ someone who can understand the engineering, if he can't he suffers.

It was a more exciting race because Hamilton had a bran fade. It didn't really impact him that heavily. 

• Like 1

Loved it???

It was painful to watch. Cold souless circuit, clearly went to the highest bidder. Barely any racing to speak of. I enjoyed Hamilton's spoilt brat routine but other than that it was a farce. We heard Kimi also in a similar situaion where the team weren't allowed to tell him what he needed to do to become more competitive even though they knew. What next, managers not allowed to shout from the touchline in football because they should be able to figure it out themselves?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Loved it???

It was painful to watch. Cold souless circuit, clearly went to the highest bidder. Barely any racing to speak of. I enjoyed Hamilton's spoilt brat routine but other than that it was a farce. We heard Kimi also in a similar situaion where the team weren't allowed to tell him what he needed to do to become more competitive even though they knew. What next, managers not allowed to shout from the touchline in football because they should be able to figure it out themselves?

Yah, loved the issue he had. It was a boring race so we needed some action.
Plus there's nothing more exciting that seeing an interesting Championship contest in a really stagnant sport. 

Managers direct a team against another team, that's why they should advise. In F1 too many opponents are on the same team because it's not really competitive anymore. Why would you want to make it even less competitive? 
I'm sure a manager would be very happy to flick a switch and get more performance rather than the player figuring out themselves how to beat/tackle a man.

This is an example of F1 listening to the fans, doing something with the best of intentions but making a balls of it in the process.  Fans clamouring to go 'back to the good old days where it was driver v driver with little input from the engineers & telemetry' but failing to take into account that this approach only works for cars that are not akin to spaceships.  That was back when the driver pushed a clutch and could miss a gear.  These incredibly complicated power units (they're not even 'engines' any more) need a degree of input from those at HQ.  The consequence becomes exactly what we saw on Sunday.  A driver driving blind through no fault of his own and not being allowed to hear what of the thousands of possibilities is causing it.  It is ridiculous whether some found it enjoyable or not.  As usual it will probably take an accident or a very near miss owing to a similarly 'blind' driver before the FIA acknowledge that it doesn't work this way.  While we don't want the cars being driven from the paddock, we want to see them being driven properly by the drivers.  The best compromise will take a little figuring out, but it's clear they've gone too far in the wrong direction.  There needs to be an adjustment.  What that is, requires discussion, and in F1 inevitably it will take plenty of time too.  But it's not good for the sport the way it is now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rosberg showing yet again that he hasn't got the temperament to become world champion. He simply can't race wheel to wheel with lewis. 

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Rosberg showing yet again that he hasn't got the temperament to become world champion. He simply can't race wheel to wheel with lewis. 

Lewis got booed by, I assume, a strong German contingent in the crowd, but anyone that can argue that Nico didn't drive into Lewis is looking through some Nico-tinted glasses. Toto Wolfe said that Nico's brakes had failed to a degree, but the in-car camera showed that Rosberg didn't attempt to make the corner on his racing line. He also left no space for Lewis to rejoin the track after having barged him off.

Cmcd2r7WEAAlbhe.jpg 

Just now, StanBalaban said:

Lewis got booed by, I assume, a strong German contingent in the crowd, but anyone that can argue that Nico didn't drive into Lewis is looking through some Nico-tinted glasses.

Mate have a look at the BBC live text service for the race. There are quite a few people texting in saying Lewis should be banned, to aggressive etc..

You can see just from that picture that Nico made no attempt to turn in, you can also see that the racing line is about 3 metres to his right. Nico really is showing himself as quite a petulant kid, he knows he can't compete with Lewis and loses his head whenever they are wheel to wheel. 

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate have a look at the BBC live text service for the race. There are quite a few people texting in saying Lewis should be banned, to aggressive etc..

You can see just from that picture that Nico made no attempt to turn in, you can also see that the racing line is about 3 metres to his right. Nico really is showing himself as quite a petulant kid, he knows he can't compete with Lewis and loses his head whenever they are wheel to wheel. 

Whilst Lewis can be an utter helmet at times, this is one of the more clear-cut decisions when it comes to apportioning blame. 

Irrespective of whether Rosberg had brake issues or not, he's made no attempt to turn into the corner. 

Cmc6GrcWIAA0lx7.jpg

Right Nico. Riiiggghhhhhtt. 

• Like 2

It was dirty and hard but I'm more disgusted with Merceades. They botch LH's race, then his race engineer says "well done but not the result we wanted" and then Toto blames it on a break fault when there was no attempt to make the apex, disgusting.

Pretty shameful that he has received zero punishment for his actions, both in terms of attempting to drive another off the track and finishing a lap with his wing stuck under the car. Wasn't Kimi or someone recently black flagged (or threatened with it) for trying to do similar.

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything said by the Merc guys. They clearly saw what happened and immediately went into self-preservation mode. Last time Rosberg was the cause of this he fell apart over the next few races. I expect similar this time around.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Pretty shameful that he has received zero punishment for his actions, both in terms of attempting to drive another off the track and finishing a lap with his wing stuck under the car. Wasn't Kimi or someone recently black flagged (or threatened with it) for trying to do similar.

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything said by the Merc guys. They clearly saw what happened and immediately went into self-preservation mode. Last time Rosberg was the cause of this he fell apart over the next few races. I expect similar this time around.

Not quite, he got a retrospective 10 second race-time penalty, which altered nothing.

I'd add that sticking to the white line after having barged Hamilton off the track, thus leaving him no room to re-enter the track was pretty bad too. Drivers tend to give space when cars are off the track not only because it's the sporting thing to do, but also because a car on a loose surface or grass can break traction a lot easier than on tarmac. If that happens they could both be sitting ducks in another accident.

Terrible form from both Rosberg and Wolfe. I'm glad Johnny Herbert pointed out to Toto that, from the in-car camera, that whilst Rosberg may have had a 'long' brake pedal, there's no excuse for not turning the wheel to try to make the corner. Earlier in the race, Sainz made a similar move on someone (I can't remember who) and Croft & Brundle both described it a super aggressive, but fair. He placed his car so that his opponent couldn't turn until the last minute, but Sainz was overtaking on the inside. Even so, he still turned-in with enough time for both cars to make the corner within the limits of the track.

Rosberg had no intention of both cars making that corner within the track limits, banking on Lewis running off in order to avoid him - thus leaving Nico with a clear run to the finish. The cheat got what he deserved.

• Like 1

Not quite... he should have been either given a significant time penalty instead of the pointless 10s and a grid penalty for the next race. It seems as if the FIA judged that him slipping to 4th was punishment enough. Poor form and lets see how the referee the rest of the season.

• Like 1

On 3.7.2016 at 20:40, Ryan. said:

It was dirty and hard but I'm more disgusted with Merceades. They botch LH's race, then his race engineer says "well done but not the result we wanted" and then Toto blames it on a break fault when there was no attempt to make the apex, disgusting.

I think you're reading far too much into this. They wanted the One Two not first and fourth. Given the cameras were glued to the cars in the final lap it puts Mercedes in a bad light, ie. they crashed. There's little else to it.

Wolfe likely wants to protect his driver to some extent. If a footballer makes a mistake that completely gives away the game the manager may say "ya poor slip up but we'll move on" something muted but hardly slam the player publically.

FWIW I despise Rosberg, he's a spoilt Monegasque silver spoon life nobody. He's a super rich elite who couldn't be bothered going to university to better the world and not much else, basically much of the reason I like Lewis. I just find watching UK F1 painful at times as no matter what, LH, JB & Palmer are all untouchable, immovable forces of Formula 1 and without fault. And frankly Ryan what you're suggesting somewhat backs this up. A shortsighted view of what is obvious to any neutral. They don't want multi million euro vehicles with their brand on the line crashing, nothing else.

3 hours ago, ccfcman said:

I think you're reading far too much into this. They wanted the One Two not first and fourth. Given the cameras were glued to the cars in the final lap it puts Mercedes in a bad light, ie. they crashed. There's little else to it.

Your indifference is quite staggering. They race engineer wasn't just stating the obvious as you imply, it was a loaded statement.

Wolfe likely wants to protect his driver to some extent. If a footballer makes a mistake that completely gives away the game the manager may say "ya poor slip up but we'll move on" something muted but hardly slam the player publically.

which driver are you referring to?  They were happy to call out #44 that they well know everyone hears yet have have to "protect" #6 who was penalised. Their handling of these matters damages the brand more than the incident.

FWIW I despise Rosberg, he's a spoilt Monegasque silver spoon life nobody. He's a super rich elite who couldn't be bothered going to university to better the world and not much else, basically much of the reason I like Lewis. I just find watching UK F1 painful at times as no matter what, LH, JB & Palmer are all untouchable, immovable forces of Formula 1 and without fault. And frankly Ryan what you're suggesting somewhat backs this up. A shortsighted view of what is obvious to any neutral. They don't want multi million euro vehicles with their brand on the line crashing, nothing else.

Somehow you managed to critised NR, show admiration for LH, and come out the other side as a neutral, good work mate.

Rosberg is really starting to make my piss boil. In this video after the race, he keeps going on about leaving Lewis the space (absolute bollocks) and being surprised that Lewis "turned-in". Well, at least someone turned for the corner. Hamilton had to "turn-in" as he was pretty much at the track limits. 

Also, if he knew he had a brake issue that would make it impossible to make the apex of the corner, surely it's his responsibility to make sure both cars make it through.
He can't try to defend the position with a "stricken" car knowing it could take both teammates out. I'm disappointed with Wolff and Mercedes. They happily call Lewis out when he's been a prick but with always protect Rosberg.

In this case, Rosberg was slow, knew Lewis was in-line to make the pass, Lewis got in front and Rosberg pushed him off the track. The stewards agree and the video evidence is clear, yet Mercedes are talking about final warnings and team orders when Hamilton hasn't done anything but race on this occasion, and allow Rosberg put out his little videos. 

:rant:

Â