Formula one - 2016

jjaacckk91

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

yeah, probably realises this is definitely the peak, and saying he's done it for family reasons, which is fair enough I guess. Total surprise though. 

Werhlein in? Alonso must be going WTAF. 

If Hamilton stays I think they will bring in Werhlein.

If Hamilton also decides to tell Mercades he's leaving I think they will go all out for Alonso as well as Werhlein.

Fair play to Rosberg bowing out at the very top. His ultimate ambition was to win the world title and he has done that and having a young family what is the point in taking further risks that come with driving a car at 200 odd mile an hour.

• Like 1

Wehrlein to take his place and Vettel & Hamilton to swap teams...

Gives Mercedes an all german line-up with Vettel a clear #1 driver which would put an end to huge inter team rivalry and would help develop Wehrlein. Also gives Lewis a year or two driving for Ferrari before he packs it in.

Edited by LakotaDakota

With Red Bull favourites to make big leaps next season given Newey's aerodynamic gifts, it would be foolish of Merc to bring a junior driver in at a time when the WCC could need 2 strong drivers.  We might be all about the WDC, and in that sense giving Hamilton a free run at it might be desireable, but constructors really do like the WCC just as much.  So it'll be interesting to see which path Merc take.  The fact that they haven't already announced Wehrlein as the replacement, given that they already own him, tells me they're going to shop around.  I think they'll go with a strong driver.  Maybe even go back for Alonso.  But I'd be surprised if they don't go into 2017 with 2 A-listers at the helm.

I would imagine that Alonsos agent has had Toto Wolfe on speed dial since the weekend.

Alsonso is a safe bet, hasnt enjoyed his time at Maclaren and given a competitive car you would suspect he would be up there challenging. It would be very interesting to know if Vettel has made any kind of approach as Ferrari look like they will be amongst the also rans again and he isnt likely to go back to Red Bull so quickly.

Wehrlein can have another 12-24 months honing his trade and be ready to come in then

Â