Formula one - 2016

jjaacckk91

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its funny with Hamilton being hated, because Senna was idolised and he was a prick a lot of the time. Also Jams Hunt was revered for his playboy lifestyle but when Hamilton does it, he gets pelters. 

Hunt had enormous charm and charisma, Senna is closer to Hamilton but Senna had so much arrogance that had a charm of its own.

Hamilton doesn't have charisma at all. When he congratulates the team it always feels insincere. A lot of what he says feels insincere really. He's constantly petulant. There's no charm to endear him to you, his personality is so much about him and his petulance is almost like he doesn't have a personality. It's almost like he's autistic in some ways.

Basically, he's s very good driver, but he's also a complete bellend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Its funny with Hamilton being hated, because Senna was idolised and he was a prick a lot of the time. Also Jams Hunt was revered for his playboy lifestyle but when Hamilton does it, he gets pelters. 

Completely different things. Chindie kind of explains it. For me Hamilton is a disingenuous arrogant prick. Senna was a ruthlessly passionate driver. Hunt was the cheeky rebellious chappy dripping with charm. Three very different characters and only 2 of them in any way likeable. In a way I feel sorry for Hamilton. I believe he tries to be nice, but because he just isn't, it comes across as fake. You're a dick, Lewis. Just accept it and be a dick . Stick to what you're good at. 

• Like 2

I get the feeling Hamilton knows he's not well received and he's given up on turning people to his side. He used to be really enthusiastic and genuine. I seem to remember there being a few times he got a bit of a hammering for a few badly turned phrases and poor jokes etc ("Maybe it's cos I'm black"). Instead of giving more ammo out by trying harder (we all know that'll just make people hate him more for being a tryhard) he's gone the other way and just shut down to avoid more bad attention.

It probably didn't help his outward personality by being groomed by McLaren for all those years as well. They're well known for training their representatives to be as corporate as possible.

As an aside; I think all F1 drivers have that bellend streak to them. Fame, fortune, glory, women, fast cars since before they can remember, fans and media fawning over them every two weeks the world over. Add in the sharkpit like environment of an F1 paddock and the absolute confidence/arrogance you have to have to drive a car like that. Every single guy on that grid can be ruthless and as mean as they come. Some are just better at hiding it.

• Like 1

In fairness, he doesn't appear to have reacted all that well to breaking up with that catlady either. I'm happy he's different. F1 needs some more attitude like Hamilton/Ricciardo/Verstappen/Kimi. If only they had one of those in Rosberg's car...

7 hours ago, villakram said:

In fairness, he doesn't appear to have reacted all that well to breaking up with that catlady either. I'm happy he's different. F1 needs some more attitude like Hamilton/Ricciardo/Verstappen/Kimi. If only they had one of those in Rosberg's car...

See I agree with this too.  I may not lilke him, but there's no doubt F1 would be poorer without him.  For a start he's one of the quickest racers out there and F1 needs as many of those as it can get.  He is a different personality.  It needs those.  The fewer corporate automatons the better.  He's no shrinking violet.  His style is exciting too, and as we've discussed, his inconsistencies and off days give us some great races.  He will probably already be regarded as one of the greats, and if he adds a 4th title then that accolade is cemented.  His legacy will always be let down by his behaviour though.  Which is his own fault and no-one elses.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nico won the races he could, including some involving outperforming Lewis in race and qualifying, and was there to do the job when Lewis' car went tits up. Obviously benefited from the luck, but did nothing wrong.

Now if the next season could be remotely interesting or exciting that would be nice

• Like 1

Rosberg deserved the title because of his consistency but he was no slouch either.  It's not like he sauntered around the season.  He did win 9 races which is plenty for a champion.  Only 1 fewer than Lewis, and Lewis' 10th was the final one.  There's no doubt Lewis on his day is the quicker driver, but Nico is a worthy champion and there isn't a whole lot in it.

It's not like in 2003 when Raikkonen very nearly snatched the title from Schumacher's grasp despite only winning 1 race all season compared to Michael's 6 wins.  A pathetic points system at the time of 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 rewarded being 2nd and was designed to artificially keep the championship close because Michael at the time was almost untouchable.

As for Hamilton's tactics in the final race.  I think he drove brilliantly and he did exactly what he needed to do.  He had a title to win.  The race on its own meant nothing.  I'd have done the same thing.  Now obviously Lauda doesn't see it like that and he wanted the most comfortable Mercedes win possible, and Lewis jeopardised that for his own gains and there'll probably be some internal strife to go with it.  But something tells me he won't care.  Everyone knows what happened and in my opinion that's exactly what should happen.  It's just a pity Verstappen's tyres were gone at the point Lewis needed him.  But either way, a fitting end to the season and an intriguing and enjoyable race.

I'm really looking forward to the 2017 season and the huge design changes that are coming in.  They should ensure the cars will be much faster and also more aesthetically close to what an F1 car should look like.

f1-giorgio-piola-technical-analysis-2016

• Like 3

Something definitely needs to change for next season, I'm still watching but I wouldn't be surprised if they are losing viewers overall.

Its not even the Merc dominance its just the product as a whole is not right at the minute with tyre degradation still as much of an influence on final positions as anything else.

Qualifying for me is still wrong as well, I know they want the drivers out there longer for the spectacle but for me the best days of qualifying were when they had one flying lap and that was it, it meant the best should still be at the front but drivers got things wrong and ended up slightly out of position meaning more overtakes in the race. I personally would also bring back refuelling as it added another element of tactics to the mix although there was an added danger to the crews and driver of course.

Hopefully the changes that they have made go some way to helping next year.

Qualifying is definitely wrong at the moment, but IMO not for the reasons you state.  The best qualy for me was when they all had an hour to go balls out.  Now I'm not suggesting we go back to the days where they had special disposable qualifying engines.  Those days of waste are gone.  But I think the tyre allocation should be relaxed.  The biggest problem is that you must start on the tyre that you did your fastest qualy lap on.  That's utter bollocks for a number of reasons.  At one point yesterday I think it was Ricciardo who was basically being told by the pits that if he was in danger of beating his qualy time they'd let him know and get him to pull back.  This was because they wanted to start on a particular compound.  So they were intentionally going to fail to beat their best time.  When that kind of reasoning is advantageous to your qualification then you know the rules are total shit.

As for things changing next season.  They certainly are losing viewers hand over fist.  And these changes are being brought in to try and change that.  They are also changes the drivers wanted.  It should hopefully be much closer to all-out racing instead of the tyre and engine management series that we've got going on at the moment.  We'll see how it plays out.  There'll also be the inevitable grid reshuffle that comes with major rule changes.  OK the usual suspects will probably still be at the top but it could give the likes of Renault the chance to catch up and be a player.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

As for things changing next season.  They certainly are losing viewers hand over fist.  And these changes are being brought in to try and change that.  They are also changes the drivers wanted.  It should hopefully be much closer to all-out racing instead of the tyre and engine management series that we've got going on at the moment.  We'll see how it plays out.  There'll also be the inevitable grid reshuffle that comes with major rule changes.  OK the usual suspects will probably still be at the top but it could give the likes of Renault the chance to catch up and be a player.

The viewing figures will only get worse as well from 2019 onwards aswell, as Sky has an exclusive deal rather than the current format where C4 also get 10 races too. I believe the only race on terrestial will be the British Grand Prix, all the others will be covered via a highlights package.

Edit: Here we go-http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10215419/sky

Sky Sports' new partnership with Formula 1:

Exclusive: Sky Sports will be the home of Formula 1 in the UK and Ireland from 2019 to 2024, offering live coverage of every Grand Prix. 

Free to air: The FORMULA 1 BRITISH GRAND PRIX, together with highlights of all other races and qualifying sessions, will be shown on a 'free-to-air' basis.

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1

Hamilton definitely drove what he had to do, and arguably maybe could have started to back up even sooner. Every and any driver would respect, understand or do the same thing in the same situation. Nigel Mansell is a liar / an idiot for saying he wouldn't do it. There's nothing unsporting about it, it's almost the essence of competition, as long as safety isn't threatened, and otherwise he doesn't do anything illegal and push nico off the track obviously. 

edit: additional, I simply cannot see what Mercedes thought they would gain by making those interjections in the race at all. There was no risk for them whatsoever - they have the constructors and the drivers 1-2 sorted. It's mind boggling that they thought their pleas were sensible in the first place!

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

I've only dipped in and out of this season, though did watch the final race on a sport bar's giant screen in Cardiff (which had about 15 other people in it) - I don't think the pit walls instructions put anyone in a positive light - with both championships sewn up as a Merc win, they didn't really need to instruct a faster pace (which we all knew was going to be ignored anyway) and Lewis looks bad for attempting to try and wrestle back a championship win.

But fair play to Rosberg, I've kept an eye on him since he dragged that dog of a Williams around Singapore in 09, he's cut out the stupid mistakes he used to make (running off the track in China in the rain to lose the lead in '13 -?- ) and whilst he's not the flamboyant, balls-to-the-wall racer that's held against him, he might make Lewis think twice about his extra curricular activies next season.

Edit, yeah teach me for taking 20 minutes to post that, as half the points got covered in the meantime!

Edited by CardiffGreens

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

edit: additional, I simply cannot see what Mercedes thought they would gain by making those interjections in the race at all. There was no risk for them whatsoever - they have the constructors and the drivers 1-2 sorted. It's mind boggling that they thought their pleas were sensible in the first place!

I can see why they were doing it even if I think they were being a tad ambitious with their requests.  They don't care who wins the WDC.  They had that wrapped up regardless.  Their only concern was getting both cars home first and second, and Lewis was jeopardising that by attempting to bring Vettel and Max into the equation.  That adds some fairly serious variables to the equation which Merc would rather weren't there.  Anything can happen when attempting an overtake.  Lewis was doing what Lewis had to do.  But with your Merc managerial hat on, I can see why they were having kittens in the paddock.  Not that they were ever going to be able to change his mind.

Â