Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

14 minutes ago, Ginko said:

One of my mates from work is a Leicester fan and seems to hold him in fairly high esteem. I have no idea how true this is, but he did say that towards the end of last season right before their turn around, Cambiasso approached him with a detailed document on the Leicester squad and asked Pearson if he could try some of these things since they had nothing to lose. Pearson apparently said yes and, well, you all know what happened. Be nice if he could bring in Cambiasso on his coaching staff, though that's pretty doubtful.

I'm on the fence about this appointment. None of the candidates inspire me and despite contrary views on Pearson apparently being a lovely bloke ordinarily, giving cash to homeless people or whatever supposedly happens, I can only judge him on what I've seen, and that's not very positive. The whole thing with McArthur on the touchline was ridiculous, as have been some of his press conferences, not to mention his fairly unimpressive record prior to Leicester's revival.

If we do appoint him we can only hope he's learnt from some of his mistakes and has a few more gems of coaches he can bring in since there's no way the Leicester guys are going to follow him here.

I think this is the first time I've never had a clear idea of who I would like the new manager to be. I definitely don't want Bruce and frankly Moyes has been out of the Championship so long I'm not entirely sure he'd be suitable. He has a decent record, sure, but I remember when he left Everton there were stories that surfaced about him not being the real brains behind the operation. I suppose we'll never know the truth of just how much success is down to the manager individually, though.

To say I have no confidence in Villa making the right decision would be an understatement, but whoever we appoint will get my support until they prove otherwise.

Doping for Dummies? 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

I can't see how "the football board" can be so thick and hire Pearson when someone like Moyes is available and gettable.

The fans are not turning up (despite the bs stadium announcments thats there is 32k in there every week)

The ones that do are protesting about the chairman the players everything. and we will turn our attention to them if they get it wrong. It's not going to stop in the summer. If we get a bad start the angry voices will be raised again.

Online polls suggest 60% of the fans want moyes. We should take the placards and banners to the last couple of home games to spell it out to these stupid old grey out of touch has beens who make up the football board that Moyes is redemption. 32000 (sic) Moyes in banners in front of the TV camera's would pressure the berstein boys into action.

To be fair to the board, we don't know who they have and haven't tried to get.

I'd be incredibly surprised (and annoyed) if they didn't consider Moyes. For all we know they went all out to get him and he wasn't interested.

I'll still be annoyed with them if they've settled on Pearson, but it doesn't mean he was first choice.

6 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I can't see how "the football board" can be so thick and hire Pearson when someone like Moyes is available and gettable.

The fans are not turning up (despite the bs stadium announcments thats there is 32k in there every week)

The ones that do are protesting about the chairman the players everything. and we will turn our attention to them if they get it wrong. It's not going to stop in the summer. If we get a bad start the angry voices will be raised again.

Online polls suggest 60% of the fans want moyes. We should take the placards and banners to the last couple of home games to spell it out to these stupid old grey out of touch has beens who make up the football board that Moyes is redemption. 32000 (sic) Moyes in banners in front of the TV camera's would pressure the berstein boys into action.

I'll take Brian Little's judgement over yours.

11 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

But... how do you know he's gettable? That's quite an assumption. He may have been told he can go back to Everton in the summer assuming they sack Martinez? Or any other Premier League club for that matter. 

I think the idea that we haven't sounded out Moyes is a bit of a silly one. We obviously would do. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

What makes you think they haven't sounded him out and he's said "No thanks, I don't want to go to a club that's for sale and in teh Championship with a 6 year run of asset stripping and under funding and a toxic atmosphere, I'd prefer to go to a top 6 side and try and win something in Europe. Thanks for asking though."

Not sure why you think Moyes is so gettable in our current situation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But... how do you know he's gettable? That's quite an assumption. He may have been told he can go back to Everton in the summer assuming they sack Martinez? Or any other Premier League club for that matter. 

I think the idea that we haven't sounded out Moyes is a bit of a silly one. We obviously would do. 

Beat me to it :)

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Just put 'Nigel Pearson controversy' into Google to check. First thing that comes up is an article listing the top 6 from just one season. 

Though if you read it my biggest issue is when he gets angry with a journalist essentially because he doesn't understand the terms 'waxing' and 'waning' . It wasn't the journalists fault he's an idiot.

So he lost it with a journalist once, big deal. That is not a reason not to hire him.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'll take Brian Little's judgement over yours.

me too, he may be in his 60s now but he came to Villa as a young lad and has managed the club successfully so he should know what is needed.

22 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Is he?

I know it is unreasonable, and I obviously really know nothing about what Pearson is actually like beyond what I see on the media and read, but I just do not like him. And he really, to my mind, does not look right for Aston Villa. In my lengthy support for this club, I struggle to think of anyone I have felt this way about. If he becomes our manager, it will be the clearest possible example of where we now are as a club. I am so depressed about the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I know it is unreasonable, and I obviously really know nothing about what Pearson is actually like beyond what I see on the media and read, but I just do not like him. And he really, to my mind, does not look right for Aston Villa. In my lengthy support for this club, I struggle to think of anyone I have felt this way about. If he becomes our manager, it will be the clearest possible example of where we now are as a club. I am so depressed about the whole thing.

I know what you mean by this, but I have to say that at this point we just need a basic approach to the game and while it is not very exciting I would take any of the shortlisted managers just to get the Villa steadied.

Why would any manager want to come to the Villa at the moment ? It's totally toxic on and off the pitch.  Its not as if we are just unlucky to get relegated.  I doubt any good manager will want to come to us.  There is always a bit of a manager merry go round,  I can be quite confident no one of any stature is waiting to get on this particular football club.  I can say I want him or I cant believe we have not X,Y or Z but look at it from the outside,  what the **** have we got to offer ? We have 2 or 3 players that  should wear the shirt again with a chairman determined to make it as difficult as possible to even achieve the status Que.  I think we need to be realistic,  get any of the above mentioned managers would be amazing but without the use of rohypnol or something in the meeting they are not going to even consider us IMO.  Don't forget the illogical owner,  less wages but I want results to improve is the base to work from. We are no different from a struggling Leeds or Bolton these days,  the European nights are a distant memory.  Just don't get your hopes up is all I am saying.

2 hours ago, davemk39 said:

i'm surprised more managers don't tell the amoeba brained sports journos to shut the **** up and stop asking such dumb **** a**e questions.

sports journos are the thickest of the thick.

Geoff Shreeves is the worst of the lot

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Why would any manager want to come to the Villa at the moment ? It's totally toxic on and off the pitch.  Its not as if we are just unlucky to get relegated.  I doubt any good manager will want to come to us.  There is always a bit of a manager merry go round,  I can be quite confident no one of any stature is waiting to get on this particular football club.  I can say I want him or I cant believe we have not X,Y or Z but look at it from the outside,  what the **** have we got to offer ? We have 2 or 3 players that  should wear the shirt again with a chairman determined to make it as difficult as possible to even achieve the status Que.  I think we need to be realistic,  get any of the above mentioned managers would be amazing but without the use of rohypnol or something in the meeting they are not going to even consider us IMO.  Don't forget the illogical owner,  less wages but I want results to improve is the base to work from. We are no different from a struggling Leeds or Bolton these days,  the European nights are a distant memory.  Just don't get your hopes up is all I am saying.

It is, but we are expected to fail miserably next season. So if we actually manage top 6 it will be a success for the new manager. i don't think its a poisonous job at all. depends if Lerner is going to give money. I would assume he will have no choice as he will want to get rid of us, and best chance of that is with automatic promotion. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I know what you mean by this, but I have to say that at this point we just need a basic approach to the game and while it is not very exciting I would take any of the shortlisted managers just to get the Villa steadied.

You are absolutely right, and I realise that in our present plight our options are limited, but I am a little fearful that the height of the club's ambition is to gain mid-table Championship status.