Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Whoever it is will have a tough job on their hands anyway. I really thought this was our chance to snag Moyes, but on reflection he could'nt do much with this bunch of wasters, when he had players the quality of manures and failed.

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Rowett who has never got a team promoted from the Championship?

Eddie Howe, Slavisa Jokanovic, Alex Neil , Nigel Pearson, Sean Dyche and Harry Redknapp were the last 6 managers to get promoted from the championship, only one of them had done it before

Edited by Chicken Field

No, I'm not protective of Pearson.  If anybody reads my posts on the subject that is clear enough.

I'm trying to be protective of some balance.  Those who don't want him ignore a decent record, that's all.  (Some even suggest those that DO want him are somehow 'fooled' into thinking 'he's a hard man, we need a hard man, he'll do' - which is not only wrong, it is very patronising).

As regards what I said about his record in the Premiership, I stand by it.  I said apart from one very bad spell their form was top half, and it was.

I did not say "top half form all season" - its pretty poor to deliberately misquote  - I just wonder about the effort going in by a few who clearly have an agenda against a guy we may well appoint.

The very bad spell was games 8 - 18.

The first 7 games their points average would have put them top half. The last 20 games would have also done so.  In fact possibly top 8 in some years.  That is 27 out of 38 games.

It really makes no difference whatsoever whether more of the points came towards the end of the season or the beginning, or how many they got per month.  For the first 7 games their tally would have got top half, as it would for the last 20. 

In other words, apart from a very bad spell the record was ok - shown to be such as they stayed up  It would be perfectly fair to say "for nearly a third of a season their form was relegation standard" (as I have seen on here) but not without the counter argument that for the remainder it was top half.

And the guy who said he was factually correct - you missed out the League 1 title and the play offs. So incorrect by omission.

I really don't give a toss whether we do or don't get Pearson, but as I have said over and over, his record makes him a decent enough candidate - THATS ALL - and to be frank we could as a Club do without fans describing this, or any, of our potential managers, in the derogatory terms used about Pearson.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Precisely.

This is purely speculation on my part but I reckon a key part of the apparent appeal of Pearson to the board is that he comes across as tough therefore will "sort out" our squad full of lazy rocket polishers. And of course, he's also flavour of the month. Once again, I'm just speculating but this new board come across to me as very accomplished but also wedded to outdated ways of thinking.

Precisely.

Yet you keep repeating it.

I think the phrase you used was 'bone headed.  Again, based on pure speculation.

How about, just for a nice change, speculating in a positive way until their is reason not to, rather than the other way around ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Pearson bored the life out of me in his interviews last year.

I do not want him and I don't like him. Bet Grealish/Adama will be off and Alan Hutton made captain.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Managers don't go to work to be liked, there not paid to be liked, they are paid to do a job! 

If folk go to work to get fictitious likes then maybe they should join face book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isa said:

Perverse inverse snobbery - great line! 

But no, the "two second interview" laid down the criteria that managerial search will be based upon, so it's a valid reference point. 

I'm glad too that your ears were finetuned enough to hear me 'spit' out experience, I wasn't sure I had sufficiently emphasised my disdain for it. In seriousness though, there is nothing wrong with considering experience to be a beneficial attribute. Rather the context was in regard to this simplistic buzz-term mentality. Like when 'Premier League experience' was constantly rolled out during the summer window. So back to my initial point, I don't agree with the way a large percentage of possible candidates won't qualify due to not being British or lack Championship experience. As a result we are left with a poor, limited field of candidates. In my opinion, of course. 

You think that' interview' was equivalent to 'laying down criteria' ? Oh well...

Which candidates who are going to clearly be so much better than the poor limited field we are choosing from did you have in mind ?

Is it fair to say then you would prefer a 'non British' or non 'Championship experienced' Manager ?( Especially as they are all so poor - and limited) Why ? Doesn't that seem risky ? To prefer someone without experience would seem really odd to me.

And if you would - who ?  See I don't watch a lot of Continental football, maybe 2/3 games a week from different places at best, so I don't get to hear about the accomplishments of a lot of those Mangers.  Who is it we are missing out on ?  Or do you mean an inexperienced continental Manager ?  That would at least be the opposite of an experienced British Manger.

Or are you saying you don't prefer it, it was just the fact that the Board have already decided that they can get what they want from the poor, limited British guys ?

See, I don't get it.

What it sounded like, and of course I know it wasn't, was just a dig at the new Board, almost for its own sake.

I have my preferences, I've made them clear before. Ultimately next season is one of the most important in recent history and we need to be behind whoever is in the dugout. At least to begin with!

We all have our preference but I hope we get behind whoever it is. As always, I'll judge our manager by his actions in a claret and blue gillet, not on where he's come from.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I have my preferences, I've made them clear before. Ultimately next season is one of the most important in recent history and we need to be behind whoever is in the dugout. At least to begin with!

We all have our preference but I hope we get behind whoever it is. As always, I'll judge our manager by his actions in a claret and blue gillet, not on where he's come from.

Sadly I fear the next manager will get the same lousy cards handed to him as Garde did.

Not losing money in the short term will be more important than promotion OR building for the future.

Keep us near or around the play off spots while downsizing and not losing any money, this is where our ambition lies IMO.

Hope I'm wrong

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

No manager for me is nailed on to reverse our fortunes, such is the magnitude of the job/task.

I think Nigel Pearson is as equiped as any to stop the rot and return us to respectability......whether he is capable of making waves in the Prem, I'm not sure....We may need another manager for that after him.

I see this job taking more than one season, depending on the funds available to speed up the change.....but generally, i see our success coming from the recruitment style of the past....pre MON.

My first choice.....Nigel Pearson.

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

No, I'm not protective of Pearson.  If anybody reads my posts on the subject that is clear enough.

I'm trying to be protective of some balance.  Those who don't want him ignore a decent record, that's all.  (Some even suggest those that DO want him are somehow 'fooled' into thinking 'he's a hard man, we need a hard man, he'll do' - which is not only wrong, it is very patronising).

As regards what I said about his record in the Premiership, I stand by it.  I said apart from one very bad spell their form was top half, and it was.

I did not say "top half form all season" - its pretty poor to deliberately misquote  - I just wonder about the effort going in by a few who clearly have an agenda against a guy we may well appoint.

The first 7 games their points average would have put them top half. The last 20 games would have also done so.  In fact possibly top 8 in some years.  That is 27 out of 38 games.

It is pretty bad form to misquote I agree - my error was a partial quote. I apologize for that - buty I would seriously dispute "the top half form all season"

So what ?

As regards their 'good run' last year, it was really the opposite.  Apart from one very bad run they were top half form all season, not the other way around.  Which, if you look through Pearsons history, is common almost every time.  His sideshave bad runs, but go on extended good runs - something we haven't done for as many years as I remember.

It doesn't make him great, but it is a worthy enough c.v.

Wonder how many more times this will need posting ?

BTW After 7 games in 2014 - Leicester were 12th - close enough - I'll give you that

It's too easy to pick any number of games and project the record over a season - it's slightly disingenuous to claim that the last 20 matches were top half form when in fact the last 9 games yielded 22 pts ( Title form ?) and the prior 11 yielded only 9. (relegation form?). Let's face it those last 9 games were a complete freak - and distort any weighted average

BTW - I have no agenda against Pearson - if anything I am coming round to the idea - just hope he has learned to know when to open his mouth.

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 1

I think if all we have to worry about is him opening his mouth.....I will be highly delighted.

I suspect Derby and Forest fans got used to their famousmanager putting it in to overdrive.

If Nigel Pearson gets the job and turns it all round....He can walk around Aston with his **ob hanging out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It really makes no difference whatsoever whether more of the points came towards the end of the season or the beginning, or how many they got per month.  For the first 7 games their tally would have got top half, as it would for the last 20. 

In other words, apart from a very bad spell the record was ok - shown to be such as they stayed up  It would be perfectly fair to say "for nearly a third of a season their form was relegation standard" (as I have seen on here) but not without the counter argument that for the remainder it was top half.

And the guy who said he was factually correct - you missed out the League 1 title and the play offs. So incorrect by omission.

I really don't give a toss whether we do or don't get Pearson, but as I have said over and over, his record makes him a decent enough candidate - THATS ALL - and to be frank we could as a Club do without fans describing this, or any, of our potential managers, in the derogatory terms used about Pearson.

Like I said. Read my post properly before you harp on about me getting the facts right.

I made a short, correct statement, which was that Pearson has ONE promotion from the Championship to the Premier League. I also commented that other gettable managers have that achievement more than once.

You're trying to be protective of some balance? That's exactly what my post was doing. Read it again, properly, and perhaps you'll see that.

Someone commented on Pearson's ability to spot a bargain, noting Mahrez, Vardy and Albrighton. I provided the balance by mentioning that Russian (I think) striker who he bought for around £9m.

Balance.

It wasn't an anti-Pearson post. I was simply commenting that some people appear to be, in my opinion, skewing his ability/ achievements because of the Leicester we're now seeing under Ranieri.

• Like 2

I don't think it matters if we want Pearson or not.

He is currently hot property as the team he built is top of the table. It's giving him a pedestal that should not be there for him, so his next move is crucial. If he screws up the next job, he's a poor manager who had a very good Leicester team and only just avoided relegation with them. If he does well, he's a top manager. 

For this reason, I don't think he'll go to Forest as they are a bit of a messa behind the scenes. The same can be said of us, only worse and much more uncertainty. 

I think he'll end up at Derby, and if he does we'll have to pick our option 2. If Rowett goes there instead, which is highly likely, will he play russian roulette with his career and come to us? Or will he wait for a better opportunity, like he has been doing for the last 12 months? 

5 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I don't think it matters if we want Pearson or not.

He is currently hot property as the team he built is top of the table. It's giving him a pedestal that should not be there for him, so his next move is crucial. If he screws up the next job, he's a poor manager who had a very good Leicester team and only just avoided relegation with them. If he does well, he's a top manager. 

For this reason, I don't think he'll go to Forest as they are a bit of a messa behind the scenes. The same can be said of us, only worse and much more uncertainty. 

I think he'll end up at Derby, and if he does we'll have to pick our option 2. If Rowett goes there instead, which is highly likely, will he play russian roulette with his career and come to us? Or will he wait for a better opportunity, like he has been doing for the last 12 months? 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say.....a pedestal that should not be there.

He presided over building a very good Leicester team.

was Tony Barton and Roy McLaren given the credit Walsh and Shakespeare have been afforded ( which i happen to agree with)....just trying to avoid double standards

not on your life it was all Ron Saunders.

you either favour him or you don't.

i think managers have their moment.....they have battles and near misses in their careers

Aston Villa will be Nigels moment.

He will be our Graham Taylor.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

i think managers have their moment.....they have battles and near misses in their careers

Aston Villa will be Nigels moment.

He will be our Graham Taylor.

I think you are deluded TRO. Nigel Pearson will imho be **** for Villa. The thought of him being AVFC manager appalls me! :-(

• Like 2