Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm going against all of the bits in bold here.

We really need to get away from Rowett having some exciting brand of football - he doesn't.  He does exactly what Garde, Moyes et al try to do by setting up the team not to concede and edge games.  Birmingham are one of the dullest teams in the Championship but they don't get hammered.  They grind out wins or narrowly lose.  That's what Rowett has done well - steady the ship, but he's not an entertaining football kind of guy.  I'm happy with that, but saying he has a "positive approach to the style of football" is completely incorrect.

r.e: point 4, does he really have affection and care for Aston Villa?  Where is any evidence of this?  I think he respects Blues more than Villa right now, and couldn't see him jumping ship to their biggest rivals, when they're about to be in the same division.  That also ties in with point 6 - he'd be "testing himself" in the same league he's currently in, with a much more unsettled squad.  Bigger club, sure.  More potential and money, sure.  A step up, perhaps, but one worth taking?  Not right now.

Just can't see any real reason why he'd come to Villa.

Yup my brother is a Birmingham City fan and he's constantly telling me that their plan A is counter attack football, and if that doesn't work, they have no plan B. If they play another team who drops deep, then the game is so dull. His football isn't attractive in the slightest... however, does he play that way because of the limitations in his squad, or is it how he wants to play football? That's a big question for me. 

Edited by PieFacE

18 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The British/English manager requirement. As I've said countless times (which certain people seem to just ignore) I've got nothing against having a British manager and in fact my first choice would probably be Moyes. I just think it's rather backwards to specifically restrict yourself when it comes to nationality. If Karanka for example became available he'd be a much better option than many of the British names being bandied about.

Try actually reading my posts from time to time :rolleyes:

You had a crazy rant finishing with some stupid sarcastic comment about foreigners taking our jobs. I don't think you're in a position to roll your eyes about people not reading your posts. 

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup my brother is a Birmingham City fan and he's constantly telling me that they're plan A is counter attack football, and if that doesn't work, they have no plan B. If they play another team who drops deep, then the game is so dull. His football isn't attractive in the slightest... however, does he play that way because of the limitations in his squad, or is it how he wants to play football? That's a big question for me. 

Blues fans are starting to question him more and more at the moment. His signings don't play much or contribute much and he struggles to make changes during a game. 

I'm not sure I'd want him over some of the other names we've heard. 

I can't see Rowett coming here because no matter how many times fans talk about their disappointment at the McLeish appointment because he was completely gash, the media still bleat on about the Blues connection as if that makes any difference. The club probably think that appointing another Blues manager will piss off the fans, even if Guardiola was their manager.

58 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I really don't have much faith in this board at all at the moment. There may be some distinguished names there but what I've seen so far suggests that their ideas are quite outdated.

As with Pearson, you seem to make such huge judgements on such tiny evidence.  They may have done 1,000,000 things you don't know about but one comment  - that most fans agree with given our situation - that you didn't like and you 'don't have much faith' and their ideas are 'outdated'.

As I have said before, I hope nobody ever judges you on such scant evidence.

• Like 3

I agree with @Mantis it shows a clear lack of vision by the supposed football board limiting ourselves to British/English managers. I'm not saying should specifically go down the Foreign manager path but to rule a candidate out based on their nationality is plain wrong. Karanka has a 53% win record over 132 games for Middlesborough. For an inexperienced foreign manager new to the Championship that's not bad at all. I'd be going all out to get him rather than McCarthy, Pearson, or Bruce. 

But no we at villa have to go one extreme to another when appointing managers and are left wondering why things have turned to shit. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KHV said:

To be honest there would probably be nobody better at steadying the ship, getting us promoted and keeping us up for a couple of seasons. I'd be quite happy with Pulis for the next 3 seasons, he would do the same job Sam did at West Ham. His football isn't great but it would not be anywhere near as bad as the drivvle we have served up under Garde/Black.

He has one promotion on his c.v.

There are plenty of candidates who can match that, and without serving uop the dire rubbish he is properly well known for.

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup my brother is a Birmingham City fan and he's constantly telling me that their plan A is counter attack football, and if that doesn't work, they have no plan B. If they play another team who drops deep, then the game is so dull. His football isn't attractive in the slightest... however, does he play that way because of the limitations in his squad, or is it how he wants to play football? That's a big question for me. 

Played differently at Burton

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I agree with @Mantis it shows a clear lack of vision by the supposed football board limiting ourselves to British/English managers. I'm not saying should specifically go down the Foreign manager path but to rule a candidate out based on their nationality is plain wrong. Karanka has a 53% win record over 132 games for Middlesborough. For an inexperienced foreign manager new to the Championship that's not bad at all. I'd be going all out to get him rather than McCarthy, Pearson, or Bruce. 

But no we at villa have to go one extreme to another when appointing managers and are left wondering why things have turned to shit. 

He has 1 1/2 season experience, and has not had a team promoted.  Whilst his win record is good how on earth does it put him ahead of the 3 you mentioned, and Moyes, and Hughton, and Rowett, and Rodgers, and Dyche etc ?  I would venture you are guilty of the very same crime you accuse the Board of but in reverse - little record but 'hey, he is foreign, let's get him in '.

The likelihood is that the teams that get promoted this year, like every year, will almost all be managed by a British Manager.  Just like most the teams that get promoted in Italy will have Italian Managers, and most teams promoted in Germany will have German Managers.  Whilst Bernstein didn't need to make the distinction, he really isn't saying or doing anything different to 99% of Clubs. Are they all guilty of a lack of vision too ?  Are all the other Clubs 'turned to shit' ?.

• Like 1

There is an argument if Karanka is that good he should have had Middlesbrough promoted before this season. This is his 3rd season? And they probably have better resources in that division? 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

To be honest there would probably be nobody better at steadying the ship, getting us promoted and keeping us up for a couple of seasons. I'd be quite happy with Pulis for the next 3 seasons, he would do the same job Sam did at West Ham. His football isn't great but it would not be anywhere near as bad as the drivvle we have served up under Garde/Black.

Are you smoking drugs?

• Like 1

The people we have at management level in our club need to learn when to say something and when to say nothing. It is just unnecessary to say we will only look at British. Often less said the better. With the experience they have, I would have thought they would know this by now.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, terrytini said:

As with Pearson, you seem to make such huge judgements on such tiny evidence.  They may have done 1,000,000 things you don't know about but one comment  - that most fans agree with given our situation - that you didn't like and you 'don't have much faith' and their ideas are 'outdated'.

As I have said before, I hope nobody ever judges you on such scant evidence.

Well firstly my assessment of Pearson isn't based on "tiny evidence". I've explained in detail why I don't want him. Just because you don't agree with that assessment doesn't mean I'm making a "huge judgement on tiny evidence". As for the football board, I did say from what I've seen so far. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I'm yet to be convinced that it won't just be more of the same.

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You had a crazy rant finishing with some stupid sarcastic comment about foreigners taking our jobs. I don't think you're in a position to roll your eyes about people not reading your posts. 

Given that I've said more than once that I've got nothing against having a British manager I just don't think we should be limiting ourselves then yes I do think I'm in that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

The British/English manager requirement. As I've said countless times (which certain people seem to just ignore) I've got nothing against having a British manager and in fact my first choice would probably be Moyes. I just think it's rather backwards to specifically restrict yourself when it comes to nationality. If Karanka for example became available he'd be a much better option than many of the British names being bandied about.

Fair enough - can't say I disagree at all.

54 minutes ago, terrytini said:

He has 1 1/2 season experience, and has not had a team promoted.  Whilst his win record is good how on earth does it put him ahead of the 3 you mentioned, and Moyes, and Hughton, and Rowett, and Rodgers, and Dyche etc ?  I would venture you are guilty of the very same crime you accuse the Board of but in reverse - little record but 'hey, he is foreign, let's get him in '.

The likelihood is that the teams that get promoted this year, like every year, will almost all be managed by a British Manager.  Just like most the teams that get promoted in Italy will have Italian Managers, and most teams promoted in Germany will have German Managers.  Whilst Bernstein didn't need to make the distinction, he really isn't saying or doing anything different to 99% of Clubs. Are they all guilty of a lack of vision too ?  Are all the other Clubs 'turned to shit' ?.

I was using Karanka as an example of a foreign manager going into that league and performing admirably. I don't care if he is English British or European as long as he is the best fit and the absolute best we can get. Be it Moyes, Rowett,  Karanka, Rebrov etc. I don't believe Dyche ( going up) or Rodgers (ego) to be realistic targets. Its my personal opinion that limiting ourselves unnecessarily to British managers only is short sighted. If a British manager is the best candidate for the job after interviews-great bring it on. 

My other point was rather than develop an ethos and follow a template of the type of manager we want and the brand of football we want to play we have a habit of going from one end of the spectrum to the other in regards to managerial styles. Why can't we do what Swansea, Barca, Southampton and numerous others have done and choose a manager to fit to us rather than the other way around.  It leads to a lot of unnecessary expense changing personal to fit each managers personal whims, rather than the other way. 

• Like 1

Carlos Carvalhal if Wednesday are not promoted?

Just punch a few of his teeth out and say that the funny accent is an obscure Welsh one and we can pass him off as British easy :D