The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

The evolutionary nature of language is a real issue for Codified Constitutions imo.

The Constitution is the one bit of our system that causes me no concern whatsoever tbh.

Perhaps we are all brainwashed but I prefer the idea of a Constitutional Monarchy over a Republik. Checks and balances and all that.

I like the idea of introducing PR very much but after this whole Brexit malarky I'm not sure I could handle the terrorism between villages when Bottom-on-the-Wold hear that them clearings from Tinkleton Wells are all in favour of the list system

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nope, it's a constitutional monarchy

Your definition of a Theocratic Monarchy is wrong

Modern Day examples of a Theocratic Monarchy are Saudi Arabia, The Vatican, The Sultanate of Brunei... The Monarch needs to be the leader of the church AND the government. This clearly isn't the case here. "Head of State" is irrelevant as in the UK it is generally accepted that Herr Madge is a figurehead and does not get involved in Government of the country

OT but by your very own example It should be pointed out that Saudi Arabia isn’t a theocratic monarchy as he is a king but not a religious leader

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

OT but by your very own example It should be pointed out that Saudi Arabia isn’t a theocratic monarchy as he is a king but not a religious leader

Are you trying to tell me that the "Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques" isn't a religious leader?

18 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Perhaps we are all brainwashed but I prefer the idea of a Constitutional Monarchy over a Republik.

No, we should have a Republic. The office of President ought to be a ceremonial position for a two year term (with all the trimmings) randomly given to someone who voted in local elections.

Edited by snowychap

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I imagine it'll take about a millisecond for Labour...

C'mon you can't be serious, the only thing they can do at that speed is to invent a new policy. I'm actually shocked there wasn't a LP new Mother's Day policy yesterday, thought up in some weed ridden allotment shed the night before

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:
IF Corbyn is serious about #PeoplesVote, he’ll see through the time trap

I don't think he is serious about it. Whether the other ones make him stick to their agreed official Labour policy, we'll see. Presumably all sorts of more ructions in both parties will now happen.

Imagine how useful it would have been if all these debates had happened before the public vote.

Was it Einstein that said something like “madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result”?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Imagine how useful it would have been if all these debates had happened before the public vote.

Absolutely - or at least before going to Europe and giving them notice that we intended to leave.

Let's hope that if we were to have a second vote, we'd make sure that as much of the required debating happened in advance of that vote (it won't, I can't imagine).

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Was it Einstein that said something like “madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result”?

Insanity ... which is probably more fitting with May 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I would contend that these debates couldn't have happened before the public vote because most of Westminster didn't have a **** clue of the implications of most of it. And a whole bunch still don't. I understand that the Tories had a seminar this week on what a customs union is. Even they mocked it.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

A lot of people were.

Problem is if you have people who are absolutely convinced that German car manufacturers won't tolerate anything changing for the UK so it's all inevitably going to be fine, it's pretty hard to get them to see otherwise. 

It's the same logic as we're seeing now. Of course no deal will be fine. Companies across Europe will insist that the leaders back down and just let the UK have everything it wants. Just wait and see.

No deal planning still proceeding smoothly:

The government has not spoken to French ports and has used satellite imagery to make "untested" assumptions for its no-deal Brexit plans for Portsmouth.

A Department for Transport document from January, seen by BBC Newsnight, said: "We have not engaged with French port operators or the ferry companies".

Earlier this year, the government was forced to axe its no-deal contract with a ferry-less shipping company.

The Department for Transport said it does not comment on leaked documents.

The document, called "EU Exit No Deal Planning: Portsmouth Port Analysis", makes an official assumption that French ports would have capacity to hold vehicles - that have sailed from the Hampshire port - while they are waiting to be checked by customs.

"Our assessment is based on satellite imagery and conversations with Border Force South of the port layouts," it states.

"We have not engaged with French port operators or the ferry companies sailing to these ports so these assumptions are untested."

'Worst case scenario'

The 12-page report was obtained by officials involved in running the ferry terminal at Portsmouth - a key alternative to Dover for cross-Channel freight transport and ferries.

A DfT spokesman said: "As a responsible government it is only right that we push on with contingency planning, and we continue to work closely with ports to help them prepare for any potential impacts of the UK's exit from the EU."

Government sources added that since the January document was put together, DfT had been in contact with Brittany Ferries and discussed the capacity issues at French ports.

But Hampshire's Local Resilience Forum (LRF) which represents local agencies - including the emergency services, Portsmouth City Council and Portsmouth International Port - said they have to plan for a "reasonable worst case scenario".

"That scenario, for us, includes lorries queuing on a busy entry point to Portsmouth, and the potential for the resulting disruption," LRF chairman Neil Odin said.

"Portsmouth International Port is important to the Channel Islands and is proximal to a critical Naval asset; disruption at the Port could have a wide ranging impact."

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nope, it's a constitutional monarchy

Your definition of a Theocratic Monarchy is wrong

Modern Day examples of a Theocratic Monarchy are Saudi Arabia, The Vatican, The Sultanate of Brunei... The Monarch needs to be the leader of the church AND the government. This clearly isn't the case here. "Head of State" is irrelevant as in the UK it is generally accepted that Herr Madge is a figurehead and does not get involved in Government of the country

Lads, your a monarchy can be both constitutional and theocratic. Those two things are not exclusive.

Your monarch is the head of the Established/official church, and Catholics are forbidden from holding the post. How is that not theocratic? What adjective would you use to describe that, other than theocratic?

Â