The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 hours ago, bickster said:

There are many that have more than 2 though and with fluidity between parties that we rarely see here. New parties form, others die at a much faster rate. FPTP causes this here, FPTP is not democratic, there are huge swathes of opinion that are just not represented. Now if we moved to PR, moving away from parties would be impossible. I'd accept either outcome. FPTP with parties outlawed or PR with parties allowed. 

We have two current huge two-party systems that are absolutely shot to pieces both here and the USA, they both need to change

Your Irish neighbour politely suggests you lot abolish your theocratic monarchy, adopt a written constitution, and implement a system of PR.

(Isn't it weird how such sensible suggestions are absolutely hated by hardline English nationalists?)

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

Your Irish neighbour politely suggests you lot abolish your theocratic monarchy, adopt a written constitution, and implement a system of PR.

(Isn't it weird how such sensible suggestions are absolutely hated by hardline English nationalists?)

You don't have to be a hardline English nationalist to see that although those suggestions may be 'sensible', they are not foolproof, and are certainly not simple to implement. 

29 minutes ago, Enda said:

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

We have a written constitution.

And we aren't a Theocratic Monarchy

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

You have to give it to them . . . eight hours locked in a room in a meeting, and their Big Plan is to invite Corbyn to agree with them and then blame him when he doesn't. 

It's better than the previous plan but only by a waffer thin mint

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You don't have to be a hardline English nationalist to see that although those suggestions may be 'sensible', they are not foolproof, and are certainly not simple to implement. 

Who said anything about foolproof?

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

We have a written constitution.

Great, can you link to it as a PDF please?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

And we aren't a Theocratic Monarchy

Head of State, by genetic line, automatically made leader of the established church. Not a monarchical theocracy, but the UK is a theocratic monarchy.

Did I hear it correctly on the radio , talks with the opposition on a way forward but we will leave before 22 May with her WA  because that’s what she agreed with the other 27 nations ... its like the 3 votes on it never took place 

7 hours they were locked up for , what did they do , watch the Godfather trilogy back to back and eat popcorn 

i’m hoping I simply misheard the radio over the noise the kids were making in the back 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

No. I didn't say that we had a single document codifying the UK constitution. ;)

I said that we had a written constitution. Statute, legal precedent, customs, convention, Erskine May, &c. - all 'written'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

No. I didn't say that we had a single document codifying the UK constitution. ;)

I said that we had a written constitution. Statute, legal precedent, customs, convention, Erskine May, &c. - all 'written'.

Right, right. So you're arguing that conventions (which fwiw are typically unwritten, and almost certainly judicially unenforceable) as the basis of your written constitution rather than accept the well-established point that constitutions that are in any way reliant on unwritten conventions are referred to as "unwritten constitutions"?

Are you a member of the UK's Brexit negotiating team? ;)

Also to take us to the cliff edge again, so no to EU parliament elections and then it truly is her deal v no deal. 

She is scum. I hope history will say so too. 

8 minutes ago, Enda said:

Head of State, by genetic line, automatically made leader of the established church. Not a monarchical theocracy, but the UK is a theocratic monarchy. 

We live in a 'Constitutional monarchy' with an 'uncodified constitution'. With a 'Parliamentary Democracy' system of government. :thumb:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Enda said:

Nope, it's a constitutional monarchy

Your definition of a Theocratic Monarchy is wrong

Modern Day examples of a Theocratic Monarchy are Saudi Arabia, The Vatican, The Sultanate of Brunei... The Monarch needs to be the leader of the church AND the government. This clearly isn't the case here. "Head of State" is irrelevant as in the UK it is generally accepted that Herr Madge is a figurehead and does not get involved in Government of the country

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

yep that seems like like the plan 

It's clearly party political chess again. But how will Corbz the absolute boy respond? - Labour's official position is "2nd People's vote Ref", so if he's true to that, then he has to say "OK, put it to a referendum - your move".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enda said:

Right, right. So you're arguing that conventions (which fwiw are typically unwritten, and almost certainly judicially unenforceable) as the basis of your written constitution rather than accept the well-established point that constitutions that are in any way reliant on unwritten conventions are referred to as "unwritten constitutions"?

I think that I'm arguing that the 'unwritten constitution' line is pretty daft, even if widely used (and widely used academically). It gives the wrong idea about the UK constitution. There is a vast amount of documentation which all comes together to form the UK constitution yet the whole 'unwritten constitution' line gives the impression to people who may not have any idea about the UK (and even those who do have some) that it simply makes everything up on the hoof all the time.

It also gives the wrong impression about codified constitutions - that they are simple, clear, incontrovertible, unmalleable things.

Which conventions aren't written down?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â