The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Interesting that even on that, there's not a single idea that gets 51% 

Why isn't Cameron having his arse kicked up and down the roads of Britain? 

That's an idea that would get well more than 51%.

I would move an amendment to change it to "the roads of Britain and Europe".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peterms said:

That's an idea that would get well more than 51%.

I would move an amendment to change it to "the roads of Britain and Europe".

"Britain, Europe, Syria and the rougher parts of Detroit"

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick said:

Nah, Tories don't ever have to answer questions. Not on Grenfell, Islamophobia, deaths through their austerity, not anything.

Labour? They have to answer for everything.

The media allow them to play politics on easy mode. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, peterms said:

I would say a few of the remaining 4 would sadly be arguable. Rejection of modernism and contempt for the weak are all around us.

The Naomi Wolf list of ten signs of a closing society she had in The End of America:

1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy

2. Create a gulag

3. Develop a thug caste

4. Set up an internal surveillance system

5. Harass citizens' groups

6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release

7. Target key individuals

8. Control the press

9. Dissent equals treason

10. Suspend the rule of law

How many can you catch .......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1112705412795641856?s=09

Labour confirms it WILL be backing Common Market 2.0 (from Mirror)

I don't think that it as a plan is particularly viable in the long-term, but I think it's sensible politicking from Labour to back something different from last time. 

At least they can (just about) claim that they are looking to compromise on their original position. Although I guess it helps to be able to move to a position that the majority of their supporters would probably see as preferable to their current stance.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Labour whips presumably currently playing the most frantic game of hide-and-seek to work out where Jared O'Mara is. 

I'd guess Caroline Lucas would vote differently this time. From No to Yes.

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'd guess Caroline Lucas would vote differently this time. From No to Yes.

I think there's a bunch who would move to be honest. I was being facetious about it coming down to one vote. 

Parliament being told it will have to sit next week .. Unite ( parliamentary staff branch  )  release a statement saying " If any members have had their leave cancelled due to last minute changes in the parliamentary calendar, that is wrong and they should get in touch with us."

No Deal default on the 12th cause we can't find  any security and catering staff at Westminster to allow the house to sit  ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Parliament being told it will have to sit next week .. Unite ( parliamentary staff branch  )  release a statement saying " If any members have had their leave cancelled due to last minute changes in the parliamentary calendar, that is wrong and they should get in touch with us."

No Deal default on the 12th cause we can't find  any security and catering staff at Westminster to allow the house to sit  ?

If I had to cancel a family holiday because previously approved leave had been cancelled, I would be seeking advice and suitable recompense.

I assume contingent arrangements will be made to enable Westminster to function when required, although I question whether most MPs are capable of making their own sandwich in lieu of catering facilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Does CM 2.0 include Free Movement?

Pretty much. It's basically the Single Market with a bolt-on customs union (and a shit name).

Those supporting it but are against freedom of movement (or trying to convince others who are) can make an argument that there is a freedom of movement brake, as Article 112 of the EEA Agreement allows it to be suspended "if serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties of a sectorial (sic) or regional nature liable to persist are arising". There's a similar emergency brake to stop the movement of capital as well (Tory MPs seem less ranty about that for some reason though).

But given that a) the economy can't really function without cheap migrant labour anyway and b) pink-faced men not wanting to hear polish in a supermarket queue doesn't really meet the threshold above, nothing would actually change. 

But it doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to imagine Boris on the steps on Number Ten farting on about how through our unilateral emergency brake we have now taken back control of our borders, but this was never about closing our borders, blah blah blah.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â