The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

May isn't going to withdraw A50. Her plan is entirely to get her deal passed. Alternatives, etc? Not in the equation. The deal will be put to parliament again and it'll be set as that deal or no deal. And she'll take no deal if it comes to it imo.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The 'Malthouse Compromise' sounds like some shit discussion about brown bread.

I don't even understand what it is at this point. 

I think it's a Frederick Forsyth novel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

May isn't going to withdraw A50. Her plan is entirely to get her deal passed. Alternatives, etc? Not in the equation. The deal will be put to parliament again and it'll be set as that deal or no deal. And she'll take no deal if it comes to it imo.

Parliament will take that from her I think. She’s completely lost any authority she had.

In a sensible country, we'd be heading towards revoking article 50 now.

They had their chance, they didn't plan for it. Got nothing through parliament.

Come back when you have better ideas guys.

59 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

which is what I said last night  , all be it more in the form of a question   ..of what happens if this (likely) outcome was to arise  .. Bicks was saying more likely a  delay and then a second referendum as the likely outcome  , but I was putting forward the case that you couldn't guarantee the result of the this new referendum   , where as if May withdrew it and parliament voted , the likely outcome is parliament would vote to withdraw it ( v No deal)

Sorry, I've not been keeping up with every post.

(My opinion is) there's absolutely zero chance of us leaving by 29th March. I think this May will withdraw A50 thing applies for if we either get a short extension that is also run down or if, I suppose, we get no extension. No deal just won't happen (in my opinon).

I agree about any new referendum and the probability of another "Leave" - we'd get all the same lies and bull as we did last time (from whoever). Also, almost no-one in Labour or Tories parliament want one, do they? 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

no I wasn't

That seemed to be the answer you gave to my initial question about letting Parliament decide  between No Deal and withdrawing A50 ??  

17 hours ago, bickster said:

If they called for a 2nd referendum before March 29th no matter when it was organised for, then I think we can be pretty confident, an extension would be granted

Just now, tonyh29 said:

That seemed to be the answer you gave to my initial question about letting Parliament decide  between No Deal and withdrawing A50 ??  

I think you need to read that again in context and look for the word likely or a synonym thereof

When you don't find it you'll know where you've made the error

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

(My opinion is) there's absolutely zero chance of us leaving by 29th March. I think this May will withdraw A50 thing applies for if we either get a short extension that is also run down or if, I suppose, we get no extension. No deal just won't happen (in my opinon).

I agree about any new referendum and the probability of another "Leave" - we'd get all the same lies and bull as we did last time (from whoever). Also, almost no-one in Labour or Tories parliament want one, do they? 

I watched the vote decision last night and when May referenced a second referendum there were some shouts of yes from the chamber , but I've no idea what side of the house they came from 

the shouts of No were louder though , so presumably a second referendum bill wouldn't pass the house ?

I suspect Corbyn shouted out both Yes and No just to hedge his bets :)

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

It all depends on how many politicians are hell bent on leaving.

I'm sure the entire ERG will happily accept a no deal outcome, particularly as many of them are standing to make money out of it all (Rees-Mogg) as reported by Channel 4 recently.

I can see the DUP also being happy with it as they all seem to be complete mentalists.

Got to hope there's enough leftover to combat them in a vote but I'm more sure now than ever that we could well be leaving with no deal.

I'm not convinced that Leave would win again. Some people are talking about voter apathy, but I believe that is much less likely than the first time. People on both sides of the argument have become much more agitated about the issue in the last two years, and my prediction would be a MUCH higher turnout next time. As I've said before, I don't like referenda, but if we must go down that route, at least a high turnout would give us a fairer representation of the public mood, whatever the result. For what it's worth, I think that Leave voter numbers have peaked, and it was the Remain side that suffered most from complacency. That wouldn't happen again; I think Remainers would be out in far greater numbers, and probably win. Of course, that would inevitably have some unpleasant side effects in terms of backlash, but whatever happens we're going to have some form of shit/fan interface scenario. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you need to read that again in context and look for the word likely or a synonym thereof

When you don't find it you'll know where you've made the error

From my posts  and me originally giving 2 alternatives,  you gave a third   ... and you followed it up on my comment of" letting parliament decide" with a later post  of

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Don't think you get very good odds on that hapening any time in the current parliament and I'm fairly sure the EU realise that

then , yes although you didn't actual say it directly , you seem to be saying it ( a second ref)  was a likely outcome  ..

in the context of my post to Blandy , I wasn't intending to sate as fact this is what Bicks thinks will happen  , more of my two options Bicks thinks (or at least posted )  a third is more likely 

does that work better for you ?

Edited by tonyh29

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm sure the entire ERG will happily accept a no deal outcome

David Davis, you know the bloke who resigned because of how bad the withdrawal agreement he was responsiible for, voted for it last night.

Now it's quite possible, it being Davis that he walked through the wrong lobby but I suspect not. There's 70 or so in the ERG, they wouldn't all go down the No Deal route

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

From my posts  and me originally giving 2 alternatives,  you gave a third   ... and you followed it up on my comment of" letting parliament decide" with a later post  of

then , yes although you didn't actual say it directly , you seem to be saying it ( a second ref)  was a likely outcome  ..

in the context of my post to Blandy , I wasn't intending to sate as fact this is what Bicks thinks will happen  , more of my two options Bicks thinks (or at least posted )  a third is more likely 

does that work better for you ?

Not really, I was saying that if a second ref was the route that the country went down, then the EU would grant an extension for that (as long as remain was on the ballot). I was most definitely not commenting on it's likelihood as an event. 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

the shouts of No were louder though , so presumably a second referendum bill wouldn't pass the house ?

I expect you're correct. The problem is, for this process to move forward something does have to pass the house, and a new referendum is just another thing on the big pile of "things that won't pass the house".

Until something comes off that pile, it's as feasible a way through the impasse as any other.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

No Deal needs to be on the table in the negotiations taking place in some Brexiteers heads.

Unfortunately there's nothing that actually makes No Deal go away besides accepting a deal or binning the entire madness.

We need to keep it on the table cause the EU are shitting themselves we may actually go that way. If we take it off the table the EU will have the upper hand to carry on blackmailing us into this shit deal.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We need to keep it on the table cause the EU are shitting themselves we may actually go that way. If we take it off the table the EU will have the upper hand to carry on blackmailing us into this shit deal.

The WA is closed. They aren't blinking.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They aren't. There's 27 of them. There's 1 of us. They'd prefer this went away, but not at any cost, and as things stand they're more ready to see us go via no deal than we are.

They've had the upper hand since the very start. There's no blackmail, it's simply a case that we have asked to leave the club but keep some benefits and the club is laying it how that can go. That the deal is shit is down to what we're prepared to accept.

• Like 2

Â