The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If May resigned, I'm guessing that would be enough of a trigger for the EU to put forward an extension. An election could follow that.

I'm of the understanding that for a major change, the EU would delay until we were back to the table with a position?

I really don't think so Scott, it's way too late for that. Anyhow, there is no way the Tories would suddenly campaign to remain

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I'm trying to figure Malthouse out - we can't agree a delay, but we've voted on a proposal to delay for a couple of months to give us time to prepare for no deal? 

Malthouse is an irrelevant slice of stupidity, best ignore it.

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

I really don't think so Scott, it's way too late for that. Anyhow, there is no way the Tories would suddenly campaign to remain

Fair enough. I'd think that anyone who got into the job would be looking for a referendum in the hope that the public would get them off the hook.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Snowy, I'm going to need an explanation on that one. I don't get any of it.

The government has reneged on the no deal vote being a free vote, and therefore has whipped the party to vote against taking no deal away as an option.

The government is basically a **** mess.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, we're back to May's deal, a referendum or a general election.

Two of those three things aren't outcomes.

There are three possible outcomes. 

1) we stay in

2) we leave with something looking a lot like the current withdrawal agreement (maybe going back to the Ireland only backstop when the time comes that they can stop caring about the DUP), and we just spend the next twenty years arguing that we're too close or not close enough to Europe depending on who happens to be Prime Minister that day

3) we crash out, have a few months of chaos and then sheepishly do (2)

So actually two and a half outcomes.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Snowy, I'm going to need an explanation on that one. I don't get any of it.

As per Chindie's comment above:

Because the amendment vote to the government's motion was won, the government's motion was thus amended. The government didn't like this and so they've decided that they will vote against the motion and they whipped their MPs to do the same.

It wasn't successful as they've just lost that vote by 321 to 278.

It will be interesting to see which Tories ignored their party's whips. Apparently, Gauke, Rudd, Mundell and Clark all abstained which, I believe, means that they should either resign or be sacked from their posts.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

The barely hidden cat is out of the transparent bag - May intends to put her deal to a third 'meaningful' (snigger) vote and plans to spook the ERG into backing it at the death.

This is a complete farce. We are quickly getting to the point we need an election simply because the government is unable to govern, even it's own party.

Leadsom right now should be facing a wall of laughter. The House can't have any confidence in her.

• Like 3

Â