The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

30 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Just don't get how it can be anti-democratic to hold another democratic vote. We hold elections every 4 years (sometimes sooner) ffs. People change their minds, new facts come to light, politicians lie.

You might be on to something here. If Labour win the next general election maybe the tories can stay in power whilst launching a series of legal objections to the change of power. Then they can agree to handing over power after two years, so long as that is followed by a 2 year transition period whereby all the key decisions are made at Tory Party HQ. During this time of course, plenty of analysts and big businesses can come out with a series of stats and statements to inform people how Corbyn's economic policies would be bad for the economy as a whole. We would also learn that some of the promises made by Labour in their manifesto were undeliverable and that the electorate was misinformed. After all that is done, we can have a new General Election, Conservatives win by a big majority and everything is ok because people change their minds, new facts come to light and politicians lie.

Corbyn's a better chap than the vast majority in Parliament I think?

His problem is that he's presented himself as the politician for the folk that have been left behind as the UK's identity has changed over the past decades.

A right fat chunk of that vote ticked the Brexit box. Turning his back on their decision will alienate them further and make him look like a fraud, much as it frustrates potential Labour voters in other regions, including me.

The Tories have comparable electorate polarisation problems.

It's clear that both sides are fudging, not wanting to commit one way or the other. Both hoping that the other side makes a miss step that can be exploited, or another escape strategy comes to light that allows them to keep the majority of their voters.

Until then we all just get more frustrated, and Putin laughs and laughs and laughs.

If we do end up bombing out? Better Corbyn than scum like Foodbank Rees Mogg.

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Twitter says WTF? 

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

respectfully , I can't think of any situation where that sentence is true

if i was being generous I might say it's kinda equal across both sides but to suggest Leavers dominate as they shout loudest  ..I just don't see it

of course this is the point where VT's 99% remainers shout me down and disagree with me :)

Whenever I read the comments on social media there are far, far more pro-leave commenters giving their strong opinions than the 52% majority would suggest.

Its fine if you disagree... 🙂 

After the ref, Corbyn absolutely bossed a campaign, I can't remember what it was for, but he came across as quite a cool guy.  He said the right things and I thought "there's no way he can lose".. Since then.. absolutely nothing. 

He's not pinned his flag to anything - why would I want him to run the country if he can't even tell me what he wants to do? 

with the way the Tories are at the moment, you'd think it was a **** tap in - and he's managed to balls it up. 

I have no idea who to vote for in an election - no one represents me (I'd look, but that's my gut feeling). 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whenever I read the comments on social media there are far, far more pro-leave commenters giving their strong opinions than the 52% majority would suggest.

Its fine if you disagree... 🙂 

Fair enough, we should swop twitter’s. 

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Seen. That’s why I think people pinning all hope on a 2nd referendum aren’t being totally realistic. Of course Remain could win, but that’s far from being a shoe-in and the campaign would raise the level of public rancour even further. 

Doesn't really matter even if they do win. 

Whatever happens, neither side is going to brush the dust from their hands and say "that settles that then".

These divisions aren't going anywhere now, regardless of what is perceived as the end result at some point in the next two years.

• Like 2

you say that but we all know you are  just going to shout me down until I change my mind and agree with you :)

I am one of the sensible ones who can't be bothered to be drawn into an online shouting match #snowflake #remoaner

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

Better Corbyn than scum like Foodbank Rees Mogg.

was interesting that earlier we had a whole debate on what was wrong with Corbyn  ... there were kinda well thought out articulate replies quite reasonable in their views ...

then we come around to a Tory and straight away  , there it is  .. Scum  ... the standard repost , I would say the only repost but I'm sure vermin and hang them also get a fair mention 

was interesting that earlier we had a whole debate on what was wrong with Corbyn  ... there were kinda well thought out articulate replies quite reasonable in their views ...

then we come around to a Tory and straight away  , there it is  .. Scum  ... the standard repost , I would say the only repost but I'm sure vermin and hang them also get a fair mention 

To be fair though, even his brother thinks he's a word removed. :lol:  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I am one of the sensible ones who can't be bothered to be drawn into an online shouting match #snowflake #remoaner

sorta related  , but it is a question I've often asked myself .. in light of FB being very public and  "you"  linked primarily to people you know .. why the heck would anyone use that platform to express political views ? I don't even know how my parents voted in the Brexit ref  ( if indeed they even did)  ... why go on Facebook telling the whole world you view and then engage with arguments with friends over it

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Doesn't really matter even if they do win. 

Whatever happens, neither side is going to brush the dust from their hands and say "that settles that then".

These divisions aren't going anywhere now, regardless of what is perceived as the end result at some point in the next two years.

Agreed. More likely it’ll be the positive or negative development of the EU in our absence that influences the balance of opinion in UK over coming years. 

Listening to PMQs now & May’s plan seems to be tweaking her deal and going again. Quite remarkable levels of delusion. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Agreed. More likely it’ll be the positive or negative development of the EU in our absence that influences the balance of opinion in UK over coming years. 

Listening to PMQs now & May’s plan seems to be tweaking her deal and going again. Quite remarkable levels of delusion. 

I think I speak for all Villa fans that we shudder a little more than most when we hear that phrase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Never harmed Paul Lambert

edit - beaten to the punch by @Genie

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

Maybe not in Surrey? 

I'm happy to disagree with people without having to call them scum and suggest they have an appointment with a noose .. maybe we just have more class in Surrey :)

Â