The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

We are the 6th richest country in the world, in peace time and we're putting the army on standby and broadcasting public service announcements.

What will they say? Don't book holidays? Stockpile food? Stockpile medicine?

What the actual **** is going on 

Edited by StefanAVFC

'No, really, we'll do it!'

At the end of all this, some politicians should probably be fearful of legal repercussions of all this. They won't of course, but they should. No Deal is a criminal dereliction of duty.

Then again this is a government that proudly put in place measures that lead to vast increases in the mortality of societies most vulnerable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's infuriating the amount of people spouting "JUST LEAVE" with absolutely no knowledge of what that entails and the knock on effects.

i almost want us to "just leave" with a no -deal.... just so everyone can see the carnage, and 12 months later we end up back in the EU.

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

i almost want us to "just leave" with a no -deal.... just so everyone can see the carnage, and 12 months later we end up back in the EU.

We'd eventually get back but nowhere near that timeframe

28 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes they should.  They also need to be seen to fall back on the second referendum only when other avenues have been exhausted.  However, a faction within the PLP wants to jump to that position immediately

Cool, well there's probably plenty of time to play the long game. No rush to start on plan A. 

Maybe pencil it in for some time next summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The thread is sobering.

This is not normal.

This is the real 'Project Fear'. We're not going to have the Meaningful Vote until panicked constituents are calling their MP's, begging their representatives to pass her deal. 

Expect A LOT to be made of this over the next month. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The thread is sobering.

This is not normal.

Breaking: The Govt is today pushing the button on every single one of its no-deal Brexit plans and implementing them all *in full*.

There are 320 workstreams across Whitehall on no-deal with each workstream likely containing numerous plans.

Seismic decision.
The Govt will be sending 80,000 emails to key business stakeholders in the coming days to tell them what no-deal means for them. They will be pointed to a 100 page document with all the info.
Something else: The Government is also going to be telling citizens what they need to do ahead of no-deal. 
Also: Civil servants will be working over Christmas to get all this no-deal stuff up and running before March 29, 2019.
“Cabinet agreed that with just over three months until our exit from the European Union we have now reached the point where we need to ramp up these preparations...
“...This means we will now set in motion the remaining elements of our no-deal plans. Cabinet also agreed to recommend businesses now also ensure they are similarly prepared, enacting their own no-deal plans as they judge necessary...
"... Citizens should also prepare in line with the technical notices issued in the summer and in line with further more detailed advice that will now be issued over the coming weeks.”
Downing Street reckons the number of new bills needed to make UK no-deal ready for March 29, 2019 is in "single figures". 
But the idea that you will be able to get multiple new pieces of legislation agreed in the space of less than three months is pretty laughable. 🦄
PM's official spokesman was asked if Cabinet had discussed whether a state of emergency would need to be declared in the event of a no-deal Brexit. 

“I have heard no suggestion of that," spox said.

Britain, 2018.
Downing Street would not get into what the decision to implement all no-deal plans actually means on an item by item basis.
Info will come out in coming days and weeks. Means lots of big questions remain unanswered.
Just some: 
Will Govt book space on ferries to ensure supply of perishable/critical goods?
Will Govt now start bilateral talks with each EU country on ensuring flights continue?
Will Govt now take action to ensure supply of electricity in NI? Will that mean "generator barges"?
Jenny Chapman, Labour’s shadow Brexit minister: “A no deal Brexit would be a disaster for jobs, the economy and the border in Northern Ireland. It is simply not a viable option."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1075022994374840320.html

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The thread is sobering.

One of the tweets:

These would be a further number of new bills on top of the secondary legislation that has still to be worked through on the back of the withdrawal bill, I guess.

I think I saw numbers a few weeks ago that suggested that only 20% of this has been done so far.

Here it is:

There are just 127 days to go until the UK’s exit from the EU on 29 March 2019, but Hansard Society data, taken from our latest Westminster Lens: Brexit Statutory Instruments Dashboard, shows that only 21% of the minimum number of Statutory Instruments (SIs) the government says are needed to deliver Brexit have been laid before Parliament. If the government does not increase the pace, Parliament will shortly be faced with the impossible task of scrutinising too many SIs in too little time.

Ministers have regularly said that they expect to lay between 800 and 1,000 statutory instruments to prepare the statute book for exit day, with the final figure probably closer to 800. The government has also promised it would try and avoid a ‘peak and trough’ approach to the production of the SIs so Parliament could do its scrutiny job properly. However, since the EU (Withdrawal) Act was granted Royal Assent on 26 June, half the time available to make changes to the statute book before exit day next March has now elapsed; yet, as the chart below shows, only 166 of the 800 SIs required have so far been laid.***

...more on link

So that's still loads of SIs to sift through and then pass whilst adding more new bills on top of that, having put off the 'meaningful vote' debate until the first two weeks for when Parliament returns after the recess.

Sounds like the very notion of a rushed job where Parliament won't be able to properly scrutinize either the mammoth amount off work that they'd already set themselves to do or the extra work that they're going to have to prepare for on top of that.

I expect a lot of dodgy shit to get swept through.

Update as per the link in the excerpt has the number laid before Parliament as of 14th Dec at 265.

In September 2018 ministers indicated that the final figure would probably be closer to 800 than 1,000 and in November 2018, this figure was again revised down to approximately 700 SIs, although it was stressed that this figure might also be subject to fluctuation in the weeks ahead.

So just under 38%.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Ready to sit back and watch it all burn with a large Toblerone. 52% voted leave, let them suck the mop. I for one, would rather go to prison than end up being taxed to pay the divorce bill. Let the 52% pay that...

For that reason, I'm out.

If it weren't for my unsettled status in my current home, and employment, I'd be thinking the same.

I will be fine, or at least not hugely hit by this, as I have a decent job and prospects.

**** em, let em rot.

• Like 1

Â