The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You should have seen the first draft!

No need, 99/100 it's the same torturously smug blend of sarcasm and virtue signalling. Only thing that changes is the post count.

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf I'm not seeing anyone in this thread say  .. Corbyn is In therefore I'm out   ...

tbh other than his statement through clinched teeth the other week I'm not sure I've heard anyone from Labour actually say anything  ? do they actually have anyone in the out camp ?

The Vote Leave campaign is jointly headed by Birmingham's own Gisela Stuart (who was born and raised in Germany, funnily enough). 

This isn't especially related to the referendum, but I've always personally doubted her sanity since she came to an assembly at my (all boys) secondary school and spent her entire speech talking about how much better girls were as students in every way. Seemed like an odd choice of topic. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm not sure I've heard anyone from Labour actually say anything  ? do they actually have anyone in the out camp ?

There's a handful, but my take on them is that they're not rabid about it. For whatever reason there seems to be a section of British people/politicians who see Yurp and the EU as the absolute number 1 most important thing. "WE MUST LEAVE" seems to be kind of burnt into their psyche. Nothing can get in the way. These politicians and their wealthy backers seem to be mostly, almost exclusively, very right wing. They mostly are not troubled by concerns over worker welfare, human rights, the environment, freedom of movement, and similar issues. The Labour and left wing out people seem to share the concerns over sovereignty and democracy, but at the same time they are concerned about worker welfare, human rights, the environment, freedom of movement etc. so that kind of tones down their levels of opposition. Most lefty people seem to feel the benefits (worker welfare, human rights, the environment, freedom of movement,...) outweigh the negatives, and that the EU stops are at least diminishes the ability of a right wing government to do wrong things, while recognising there is a democratic flaw in that situation.

Does that make sense? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Reasoning was that UK only sees the EU as an economic marketplace and without us peeing in the soup they could get on with political integration and building the US of Europe. 

If they were to do that and actually get it right I'd be disappointed if we missed out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

...the EU stops are at least diminishes the ability of a right wing government to do wrong things, while recognising there is a democratic flaw in that situation.

Democracy is good as long as the people the left support are elected. If not the EU is a useful counter weight against democracy.

Sounds like a Guardian editorial!    

Just now, Awol said:

Democracy is good as long as the people the left support are elected. If not the EU is a useful counter weight against democracy.

Sounds like a Guardian editorial! 

I dunno, I don't read their editorials. But I think it's the practicality/reality of it.

There's a different but similar contradiction in the Out camp too. The rage against loss of sovereignty to the EU, whilst at the same time an eagerness to hand sovereignty to unelected trade agreement arbitration courts and big business.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

There's a handful, but my take on them is that they're not rabid about it. For whatever reason there seems to be a section of British people/politicians who see Yurp and the EU as the absolute number 1 most important thing. "WE MUST LEAVE" seems to be kind of burnt into their psyche. Nothing can get in the way. These politicians and their wealthy backers seem to be mostly, almost exclusively, very right wing. They mostly are not troubled by concerns over worker welfare, human rights, the environment, freedom of movement, and similar issues. The Labour and left wing out people seem to share the concerns over sovereignty and democracy, but at the same time they are concerned about worker welfare, human rights, the environment, freedom of movement etc. so that kind of tones down their levels of opposition. Most lefty people seem to feel the benefits (worker welfare, human rights, the environment, freedom of movement,...) outweigh the negatives, and that the EU stops are at least diminishes the ability of a right wing government to do wrong things, while recognising there is a democratic flaw in that situation.

I think if you take stereotypes to the extreme then yes what you say makes sense but I'm not sure Labour can really own the high ground on human rights when they presided over rendition flights and tried to impose  28 days detention on a population and in effect remove  fundamental rights to liberty

so I don't really think I can agree fully agree with the sentiment

• Like 1

Just received an email from our company CEO saying we should stay in Europe along with all the benefits staying in Europe will bring. (hardly surprising being as 12 of our 14 offices are in Europe)

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

Just received an email from our company CEO saying we should stay in Europe along with all the benefits staying in Europe will bring. (hardly surprising being as 12 of our 14 offices are in Europe)

If I was you I'd listen for your jobs sake! 

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Does the boss tell everyone how to vote in General Elections too? 

Those 12 offices will still be Europe after the vote, still doing business, still employing people and all that jazz. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Awol said:

Does the boss tell everyone how to vote in General Elections too? 

Those 12 offices will still be Europe after the vote, still doing business, still employing people and all that jazz. 

I raised similar in the early pages of this thread  , think it was the CEO of BMW at that time

John Longworth got suspended for telling Chamber of commerce member we should leave  though that is slightly different as they are supposed to be neutral on the whole thing

KHV  .. If I were you I'd send a reply to your Boss telling him to piss of (politely) .... and clean up at any subsequent tribunal when you win the unfair dismissal case a few months down the road :) 

I would have voted out if given the chance. We have 349 Mp's and more in the European Parliament. That number should be lower and local politician should be given more power. Free movement of goods and labour is easy to agree on for all european countries and the EU could be based on that. 

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Obama was bang on until he had to go and mention TTIP as being a good thing.

We've already seen through it mate.

As a brief off topic aside, I listen to a US political podcast where i was interested to hear the hosts be critical of TTIP because it lets us do the same to them, as it does to us.

Â