The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Remain on 52% in latest poll up 5 points

seems the £9m has been money well spent ? though possibly they've sent it to early and it would have been better a week or so before the vote ?

whats more interesting is 44% are saying they have had most contact from the remain campaign ...Where as only 25% say they have had most contact from leave 

I'd imagine the 2 are linked ?

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

seems the £9m has been money well spent ? though possibly they've sent it to early and it would have been better a week or so before the vote ?

Hasn't there been a change in the rules on how money can be spent lobbying (the public) on issues that meant that they had to do it now?

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hasn't there been a change in the rules on how money can be spent lobbying (the public) on issues that meant that they had to do it now?

Wasn't aware of that but I guess that would explain it ...

Well, I just sat through a Newsnight that was a panel about the economic aspects of in / out.

The debate went something like this:

Person A: 'if we remain / leave then we will / won't be able to do x'

Person B: 'no we won't'

Person A: 'yes we will'

Person B:'no we won't'

Evan Davis: blah blah blah, new proposition...

Person A: 'it will be worse'

Person B: 'it will be better'

A: 'worse worse worse'

B: 'better better better'

It was really just a script run through for an episode of Brass Eye or The Thick Of It. I've learnt nothing.

I need to find out what Randy Lerner would do if he had a vote....(other than lose it, pay a student in Australia to look for it and accidentally set fire to his own arse, obviously)

Michael Gove accusing the government 'remainers' of being patronising!

In other news, Flabby Gabby accuses team mates of being thick and lazy.

Michael Gove, the man who as Education Minister wanted all schools to be above average in numeracy.

• Like 1

I think I might have found a third way.

I think I decided last night that unless I hear some solid nugget of advantage to voting one way or the other, I'm not going to vote. Now, that's going to be a little tricky, my wife is quite militant about making people vote and it's my nipper's first vote and I've lectured on how important it is. So right now I'm going to be marching in to the polling station, standing around for a bit and then leaving.

Potentially, whilst I'm there, I'll vote remain, but it isn't a done deal.

But yeah, I know what you mean Tony, other than yourself and me there are very few neutrals in this thread. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think I might have found a third way.

I think I decided last night that unless I hear some solid nugget of advantage to voting one way or the other, I'm not going to vote....

Potentially, whilst I'm there, I'll vote remain, but it isn't a done deal.

But yeah, I know what you mean Tony, other than yourself and me there are very few neutrals in this thread. 

That's sort of where I'm at. I'm certain I won't vote to leave - not because I'm anti leaving, per se, but because there's no chance of me voting for anything that the likes of Grayling and Farage etc. are in favour of, and because the out camp is not making any kind of case for leaving, other than "we'll get all of the benefits and none of the penalties" which is clearly nonsense.

The in camp are not much better, but I pretty much know what being in entails. But I still don't want to vote for Cameron, May or Osborne.

Many of Tony's posts come across to me as being quite strongly leaning towards "Out", rather than neutral. Maybe I'm misreading?

• Like 1

I was being light hearted having Tony as a neutral. Without putting words in to his mouth he's previously said something along the lines of:

I'm alright, Jack, the poor can do one, if we leave I will be 3p better off potentially so it's worth the risk. Eat the poor. I'm an outer. The flag! The flag! I'd vote for Enoch Powell but he's a bit too liberal. I've had to laminate my picture postcard of Maggie. Out out out. Jacob Rees Mogg, John Redwood, Nigel Farage, Grayling, Gove and Johnson can't all be wrong. Where's my money? I need to lick it again.

I para phrase, but that's how I recall it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I was being light hearted having Tony as a neutral. Without putting words in to his mouth he's previously said something along the lines of:

I para phrase, but that's how I recall it.

comedy value aside :mellow:   I'm probably more neutral than most as it happens

I've said repeatedly in this thread that I'm undecided , whilst I did say last week that I'd probably vote leave if the vote was tomorrow as I don't think we will ever get another chance  , I have also previously said that I could see myself voting stay come the actual day itself  .... because I've not been convinced of the alternative /unknown if we leave (see Scotchland and the jocks)

Like a few of you , I've also said I want to be convinced , one way or another .. which hasn't happened yet 

Unlike a few of you however , I haven't nailed my colours to a mast  just because someone I don't like nailed theirs to the other mast  ..

so ya boo sucks to both of you :P

• Like 1

I was confusing you with awol again, my apologies. 

45 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I did say last week that I'd probably vote leave if the vote was tomorrow as I don't think we will ever get another chance

Well, you only really get one chance to press a nuclear bomb detonator, I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to press it.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I was confusing you with awol again, my apologies. 

Ironic really, what with Tony being a Gazzilionaire and me having to work in the third world to find people poorer than I am... But if the personal stuff gets you off then please, crack on.

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just as an aside - why aren't the EU campaigning for us to stay in the EU? Where is the voice of the continent?

According to the polls the French would like us to leave, the rest seem marginally against.

Some French lass called in to any answers on R4 over the weekend saying she hoped we left.  Reasoning was that UK only sees the EU as an economic marketplace and without us peeing in the soup they could get on with political integration and building the US of Europe. 

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

According to the polls the French would like us to leave, the rest seem marginally against.

Some French lass called in to any answers on R4 over the weekend saying she hoped we left.  Reasoning was that UK only sees the EU as an economic marketplace and without us peeing in the soup they could get on with political integration and building the US of Europe

If that's what she wants, she's going to be disappointed regardless of what we do. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Awol said:

Ironic really, what with Tony being a Gazzilionaire and me having to work in the third world to find people poorer than I am... But if the personal stuff gets you off then please, crack on.

you take 2 holidays a year and suddenly you're a Gazzillonaire  :) 

OT is Oman third world ?  I thought they were stealing oil from inside Saudi by drilling their angled wells into Saudi territory   ?

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm loving this thread the usual anti tory rhetoric whilst knowing that ultimately they are going to have to vote with the Tory's one way or the other  :D

But that also applies to Labour. Everyone will be voting with (some of) them, too. 

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But that also applies to Labour. Everyone will be voting with (some of) them, too. 

tbf I'm not seeing anyone in this thread say  .. Corbyn is In therefore I'm out   ...

tbh other than his statement through clinched teeth the other week I'm not sure I've heard anyone from Labour actually say anything  ? do they actually have anyone in the out camp ?

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

you take 2 holidays a year and suddenly you're a Gazzillonaire  :) 

OT is Oman third world ?  I thought they were stealing oil from inside Saudi by drilling their angled wells into Saudi territory   ?

Oman is classed as a developing country (it doesn't all look like Trader Vics! ) and sliding back due to the oil price, but for years I've been working with Yemenis - the church mice of the Arab world.

On your last post I know Kate Hoey is in the Leave camp but she's always been anti the EU. The idea that Corbyn wants to remain is laughable having allegedly removed entire chunks of previous anti-EU musings from his website. His Remain stance is based on party management not conviction - much like Cameron's original referendum offer - and it's good to see such a lack of sincerity runs across the HoC.  

• Like 1

Â