The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Must admit that New Zealand Lamb, it was never a thing pre 2016.

The thing is though, those New Zealand lambs have all grown up and become sheeps, well they would have if they hadn't been slaughtered and chopped up and eaten, so you see that doesn't count. What we have the advantage of now is New New Zealand lambs.  That's why the Brexit is so marvellous...for New Zealand's farmers, if not for their lamb's longevity.

• Like 3

**** me. Eating New Zealand Lamb is now something to be celebrated about Brexit. Aren't we supposed to be eating beautiful British Lamb? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

**** me. Eating New Zealand Lamb is now something to be celebrated about Brexit. Aren't we supposed to be eating beautiful British Lamb? 

Lambses are harvested in the early summer. NZ’s summer is our winter, so it’s both ours and theirs wot get aten

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Lambses are harvested in the early summer. NZ’s summer is our winter, so it’s both ours and theirs wot get aten

Harvested? You mean slaughtered. Taken from their mothers and murdered just so we can have some tender meat. 

Mmmm Lamb.  I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. 

WITH GRAVY BECAUSE LAMB IS THE SORT OF FOOD GRAVY WAS MADE FOR. 

Tangential to the Brexit thread, but it’s interesting how the long-run effect of leaving the customs union (and thus putting the DUP in an impossible position with regard to the Northern Ireland Protocol) continue to play out.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Tangential to the Brexit thread, but it’s interesting how the long-run effect of leaving the customs union (and thus putting the DUP in an impossible position with regard to the Northern Ireland Protocol) continue to play out.

Nah, 28. The Alliance Party are still Unionists, just much less insane than the others. Protestants have just started voting for the less nutty option

From the BBC website

spacer.png

Are the DUP the sort of party that will look at their policies, consider their stances on anything important, look at those two maps and say ‘you know what guys, we could be playing this all wrong’?

Never! Never! Never!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

From the BBC website

spacer.png

Are the DUP the sort of party that will look at their policies, consider their stances on anything important, look at those two maps and say ‘you know what guys, we could be playing this all wrong’?

Never! Never! Never!

Only one area really changed. SDLP to SF had been a movement going on since the GFA as they lost their USP, (republican but not paramilitary) 

Ironically, that’s where he DUP have shed votes to now, the closest Unionist equivalent of the SDLP though the Alliance are more LibDem whereas the SDLP were more Centrist Labour but even that difference sort of makes sense.

I'm really not seeing that massive swing in demographics that the headlines seem to want to imply

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Nah, 28. The Alliance Party are still Unionists, just much less insane than the others. Protestants have just started voting for the less nutty option

Alliance are officially neutral on the matter, I believe. Neither nationalist nor unionist, and thus the BBC tweet was technically correct (albeit because of how it was worded.)

Of course, in reality Alliance are a gateway drug to the actually sensible approach 😜

9 minutes ago, Enda said:

Alliance are officially neutral on the matter, I believe. Neither nationalist nor unionist, and thus the BBC tweet was technically correct (albeit because of how it was worded.)

Of course, in reality Alliance are a gateway drug to the actually sensible approach 😜

Are they? I didn't realise, they were formed from a Unionist basis though iirc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Only one area really changed. SDLP to SF had been a movement going on since the GFA as they lost their USP, (republican but not paramilitary) 

Ironically, that’s where he DUP have shed votes to now, the closest Unionist equivalent of the SDLP though the Alliance are more LibDem whereas the SDLP were more Centrist Labour but even that difference sort of makes sense.

I'm really not seeing that massive swing in demographics that the headlines seem to want to imply

The SDLP lost 21 seats, the UUP lost 21.

SF and Alliance both gained from that.

Interestingly, the party Traditional Unionist Party gained seats. They’re the splinter group that think the DUP have gone soft. They want Sinn Fein kicked out of politics and they want all UFF prisoners released. They gained three additional seats. It’s small numbers, but you can see the obvious problem for DUP should they become even more woke than they currently are.

(I wrote that out ages ago, but clearly didn’t bother pressing submit)

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The SDLP lost 21 seats, the UUP lost 21.

SF and Alliance both gained from that.

Interestingly, the party Traditional Unionist Party gained seats. They’re the splinter group that think the DUP have gone soft. They want Sinn Fein kicked out of politics and they want all UFF prisoners released. They gained three additional seats. It’s small numbers, but you can see the obvious problem for DUP should they become even more woke than they currently are.

(I wrote that out ages ago, but clearly didn’t bother pressing submit)

TUP the nutter's nutters

• Like 1

Well immigration from the EU has dropped , no invasion of Romanians to burden our NHS. Another Brexit benefit.  I'm sure this has pleased the majority of leave voters. 

By Gurpreet Narwan, Business correspondent @gurpreetnarwan

Monday 22 May 2023 18:07, UK

"Britain sees surge in migration despite Brexit - as skilled workers from Asia and Africa plug staff shortages"

https://news.sky.com/story/post-brexit-shift-sees-workers-from-asia-and-africa-plug-uk-staff-shortages-12886995

• 3 weeks later...

LONDON — Nigel Farage, one of the biggest advocates of Britain’s departure from the European Union, reckons Brexit has failed

Speaking on the BBC’s Newsnight program Monday night, the former Brexit Party leader — one of the most famous figureheads of the Brexit cause — admitted the U.K. had not benefited economically from leaving the bloc.

“What Brexit has proved, I’m afraid, is that our politicians are about as useless as the commissioners in Brussels. We’ve mismanaged this totally,” Farage said, responding to a raft of data suggesting there had been a negative economic impact of Brexit.

Link

At least he’s not one of the numpties still claiming it’s a success.

Â