The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I'm sorry to say it but JLR's future in the UK is very bleak, the Range Rover is the only thing keeping it alive ATM. Battery production for future models is going to Europe, investment in its Hams Hall facility is being scaled back, the writing is on the wall.

It's death by a thousand cuts. Why the brexit disaster isn't being discussed in the national media / TV is the really depressing bit, they fiddle while Rome burns . 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, tinker said:

Finally common sense starts to push through?

Revealed: secret cross-party summit held to confront failings of Brexit

Leading Brexiters and remainers, including Michael Gove and David Lammy, met for two-day ‘private discussion’ with diplomats and business leaders

Quite an interesting take on it (linked thread)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m sure we’ll still have Hunt talking about the freedoms of Brexit this week. 

Probably announcing another committee to start exploring Brexit Opportunities 7 years after we voted to leave. 

• Like 1

I really don't understand why we can't have another referendum. 

7 years is longer than we leave between choosing who runs our country.  How come we are OK with choosing our leaders every 5 years but 7 years is too soon to have another referendum on membership of a club? 

It will take a couple of years to arrange anyway. My view is have a review on 10 years, that's plenty of time for the proponents to show the benefit it's made for the nation. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

7 years is longer than we leave between choosing who runs our country.  How come we are OK with choosing our leaders every 5 years but 7 years is too soon to have another referendum on membership of a club? 

It will take a couple of years to arrange anyway. My view is have a review on 10 years, that's plenty of time for the proponents to show the benefit it's made for the nation. 

Where would you draw the line with this though as we could end up every 10 years having another referendum. Look how long it took to negotiate leaving. It would take years to negotiate rejoining and then potentially we could hold another referendum within a handful of years and decide to leave again. I am not sure anyone has the appetite for that and even if we did I don't see the EU standing for us continually doing the hokey cokey.

As much as it grieves me to say it we have made our bed we are going to have to lie in it for a generation. What we should be doing though is negotiating a much closer relationship with the EU. In fact that should have been done already and would have been had we not be governed by this self serving mob who thrive on maintaining division.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

As much as it grieves me to say it we have made our bed we are going to have to lie in it for a generation. What we should be doing though is negotiating a much closer relationship with the EU. In fact that should have been done already and would have been had we not be governed by this self serving mob who thrive on maintaining division.

I was completely pro-remain, but I don't think that I'd be in favour of rejoining. A free trade deal,  freedom of movement (of goods and labour) and cross border intelligence sharing / policing would be what I'd like to see at this point. I don't really care what it is dressed up as, but whatever it takes to sell it to "both sides".

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

I was completely pro-remain, but I don't think that I'd be in favour of rejoining. A free trade deal,  freedom of movement (of goods and labour) and cross border intelligence sharing / policing would be what I'd like to see at this point. I don't really care what it is dressed up as, but whatever it takes to sell it to "both sides".

100%. I just don’t have the energy for the toxicity of another referendum. It would be months/years of horrible mud slinging.

Just get some kind of arrangement, call it a UK deal to make staunch leavers feel like they won something and let’s move on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think this I definitely the way to go, no one loses face and we get the benefits for closer ties to the EU. Which ever political party can pull it off is on a winner, our economic growth would be almost guaranteed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

Remaining is very different to rejoining, you're right. If we'd remained, we'd have kept our seat at the top table, kept the rebate, kept a bunch of stuff that was a really good deal for us.

Leaving and then rejoining, well, we're unlikely to get any of that back as we'd probably end up rejoining on the EU's terms.

I think you're right that reconnecting to the important parts (single market etc.) is a good idea, but fully rejoining now.... I can't help but feel we've forever thrown that away as a good option.

(Edit: one caveat to this is the assumption that this government is replaced by a semi-reasonable government at least - one of the major issues of leaving the EU has been giving this bunch of chancers free reign)

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Where would you draw the line with this though as we could end up every 10 years having another referendum. Look how long it took to negotiate leaving. It would take years to negotiate rejoining and then potentially we could hold another referendum within a handful of years and decide to leave again. I am not sure anyone has the appetite for that and even if we did I don't see the EU standing for us continually doing the hokey cokey.

Fine, run it again in a other 10 years. The experiment has been run, people have seen what life is like outside.  They're not going to suddenly change their mind again in another 10 years.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Fine, run it again in a other 10 years. The experiment has been run, people have seen what life is like outside.  They're not going to suddenly change their mind again in another 10 years.

You are using logic to try and rationalise a religion. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You are using logic to try and rationalise a religion. 

Better to get back in “nickel and dime” style so that the brexiteers don’t notice 👀 and also in small enough chunks that people don’t complain about wanting another referendum 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Of course there can be another one. As soon a Government is elected with a commitment to hold one. 

Why would there be one before that happens?

Obviously the question isn't going to be "should the UK join the European Union?" though, but "should the UK begin the process of applying to become a member of...?"

As those two things are obviously very different.

Just now, limpid said:

We were talking about Brexit, not Barryxit.

As a kid, I was in BIRA (Barry Island Republican Army). 

We were sworn to secrecy not to tell our mums and most activity revolved around petty vandalism of Butlins.

True story that.

• Haha 1

Â