The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Migration is down. Brexit is a success! We've managed to deter people coming here by making ourselves look like complete clearings in the woods globally and tanking the economy.

The bolded is the crux of it, surely?

Who would emigrate anywhere, where their standard of living is below what they already have?  :lol: 

People don't come here just to live in Great Britain, they come here to improve their lives.  People need to remember this (not you Chindie). 

We should think of immigration as a badge of honour, that people want to come here because it's better than what they already have.  Like Canada do. 

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Who would emigrate anywhere, where their standard of living is below what they already have?  :lol: 

Tory Votering celebrities with huge pots of cash, they threaten it every time a Labour victory is on the cards

• Haha 1

Tusk confirmed (because it seems everything from the EU must be spelled out very clearly so the Tory party understands, even if it's bloody obvious) that the Irish border issue will see the Irish viewpoint dictate the EU's position and in turn decide if the talks progress.

Which should be fun. Effectively means Brexit means what Ireland wants it to mean in many ways. I imagine some Brexiteers will be apoplectic.

We really didn't have a plan at all for these negotiations. It's even funnier that it came so fast after the government ended it's bluster over the bill in with the outcome everyone knew was coming, but seemingly the government thought was the key to fixing the problems and letting them 'buy' talks for a deal. Even though they've been told again and again they need to solve more than the money to get to the next stage.

We'll look back on this as one of the stupidest things this country had ever done.

• Like 3

Well Brexit negotiations are heading for a breakthrough... maybe?  They've gone all VT - it's 50/50/50:

There is a 50-50 chance of a deal on Monday allowing the next phase of Brexit talks to begin, the European Parliament's negotiator has said.

Guy Verhofstadt said agreement on the Irish border, the UK "divorce bill" and citizens rights' was "possible".

Theresa May will meet key EU figures later in an attempt to hammer out a deal ahead of a summit in 10 days time.

(Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42217735)

• Like 1

I look forward to getting more info on what it actually means.  Early reports make it sound like a form of words intended to fudge the issue, to allow everyone to claim they got what they wanted without really being clear on it.

At the regular morning No 10 lobby briefing Theresa May’s official spokesman insisted there would be no difference in the Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

“The PM has been clear that the UK is leaving the EU as a whole, and the territorial and economic integrity of the UK will be protected,” he said, refusing to elaborate further on what that meant.

Why would you not elaborate on what it means, if there is a clear and acceptable meaning to the form of words used? 

In interpreting this, I imagine the DUP and the tory right wing will be pulling in one direction, and real life in the other.  And the SNP are already arguing that if NI can stay in the single market, so can Scotland.  Even the most skilled politician would struggle to hold together such a contradictory position with so many divergent parties - May has no chance.

Anyway, has anyone asked what the owners of Hatton Adventure World think about it all?

• Like 1

The talk over Northern Ireland suggests either the Irish Sea border option (which I'm sure the DUP will like even less than they like 'alignment' or 'non-divergence'), or Brexit in name only for the UK as a whole, which means we've spent £50bn+ and 18 months of political and economic roulette on... Well, giving away our vote at the table.

I suspect this is going to turn nasty soon.

Also good to see the government keep up their record of months of bluster before doing the exact thing everyone said they'd need to months before.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, peterms said:

Transitional demands, from a motley group including the owners of Hatton Adventure World.

etter-to-PM-Dec-1st-page-1JEPG-727x1024.

letter-to-PM-Dec-1st-pg2--727x1024.jpg

Why do they think we hold so much eight in these negotiations?

Surely the EU would see a proposal like that and just say "nah. You're alright thanks"

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do they think we hold so much eight in these negotiations?

Surely the EU would see a proposal like that and just say "nah. You're alright thanks"

Redwood was saying a year ago that the UK holds all the cards.  I don't know if he still believes that, or in fact if he ever did, but some of his supporters seem to.  They must see the series of climbdowns as evidence of weakness of character, not a reflection of the reality of the situation.

We gave away our negotiating position when we served notice under Article 50, and since then the remaining questions have been about the timing and extent of the EU imposing what it wants.

The next few days should be lively.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The talk over Northern Ireland suggests either the Irish Sea border option (which I'm sure the DUP will like even less than they like 'alignment' or 'non-divergence'), or Brexit in name only for the UK as a whole, which means we've spent £50bn+ and 18 months of political and economic roulette on... Well, giving away our vote at the table.

I suspect this is going to turn nasty soon.

Also good to see the government keep up their record of months of bluster before doing the exact thing everyone said they'd need to months before.

thinking-face_1f914.png 

Â