Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

Some thoughts:

The "taking the support for granted" is an excellent soundbite. We have great fans who will turn up through thick and thin. This may have given the owner/board the false impression that we aren't totally unhappy with what's happening. The walkout shows that the support is waivering and we are prepared to do something.

I think we need a good, concise response to those who say "Why not just boycott?". I see that question a lot. 

I'm still not sure we've answered the question of what we want as a result of this protest. If the protest works... what's the outcome?

Edit: just seen this bit on Hanoi's reddit post

We're calling for the club to invest in the playing squad and the infrastructure at the club; to engage in real and meaningful dialogue with supporters; to prepare an action plan regarding our return to the top-half of the Premier League, and to share that plan with supporters; and to have a full and frank investigation into the mismanagement of the club over the last five years.
We believe a mass walk-out of fans in the 74th minute will help raise awareness of these issues.

That's exactly what I meant regarding my last point. Apologies if that was already on the website or this thread, I may have missed it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

A boycott would be impossible to organise. That's the problem. 

Everyone who says a boycott would be better is correct. But it just isn't going to happen. 

You might get a few thousand people not turning up, but nobody is going to notice that, at least in the media. It will just look like we've given up on the team and crowds are dwindling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Some thoughts:

The "taking the support for granted" is an excellent soundbite. We have great fans who will turn up through thick and thin. This may have given the owner/board the false impression that we aren't totally unhappy with what's happening. The walkout shows that the support is waivering and we are prepared to do something.

I think we need a good, concise response to those who say "Why not just boycott?". I see that question a lot. 

I'm still not sure we've answered the question of what we want as a result of this protest. If the protest works... what's the outcome?

Edit: just seen this bit on Hanoi's reddit post

That's exactly what I meant regarding my last point. Apologies if that was already on the website or this thread, I may have missed it.

I agree that 'what we're asking' should be included in the Mission Statement on the website. 

Q: 'Why not just boycott'?

A: 'We don't want the club to mistake anger for apathy'.

Does this soundbite work? What do people think?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree that 'what we're asking' should be included in the Mission Statement on the website. 

Yeah i think so. You can also talk about the difficulties of organising a boycott and the fact that only a total boycott would really work. Even 10,000 people not turning up wouldn't have a huge effect.

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very good 

TIMELINE

"2006 Ellis Sells - Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner buys the club and Martin O'Neill replaces David O'Leary as manager"

Could add........

Randy Lerner declares himself ..."what you call the custodian. There have been plenty of custodians of Aston Villa since 1874 and if I can’t make it work I will do what the others did, move on and let someone else try. People like me come and go. The fans will always own Villa because they never leave."

• Like 2

I agree 100% with this idea and would walk out myself were I attending.

But...some people simply will not do this...here are a few comments I've just seen on a Facebook post;

"I just can't do this!"

"Stay to the **** end, make your voices heard, if anything everyone should stay after the game, refuse to leave! Do you really think Lerner or the board would give a shit about people leaving once they have paid for their ticket!"

"I'll make a difference and vote with my voice, and when Lerner does finally leave I'll know that I didn't turn my back on my club! UTV"

"Be better off not going at all than walking out on the 74th min, a complete boycott would make them take notice, but it still won't change anything until someone actually wants to buy us!"

"Considering Lerner has the club up for sale and wants out. What exactly does the 'Lerner Out' Campaign hope to achieve? I will never walk out. I'm there to the bitter end."

"We are Aston villa we stay untill the end!!"

"Stupid morons, leave?? back your boys till the end up the villa"

Makes you despair, does it not?

20 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

But...some people simply will not do this...here are a few comments I've just seen on a Facebook post;

"I just can't do this!"

"Stay to the **** end, make your voices heard, if anything everyone should stay after the game, refuse to leave! Do you really think Lerner or the board would give a shit about people leaving once they have paid for their ticket!"

"I'll make a difference and vote with my voice, and when Lerner does finally leave I'll know that I didn't turn my back on my club! UTV"

"Be better off not going at all than walking out on the 74th min, a complete boycott would make them take notice, but it still won't change anything until someone actually wants to buy us!"

"Considering Lerner has the club up for sale and wants out. What exactly does the 'Lerner Out' Campaign hope to achieve? I will never walk out. I'm there to the bitter end."

And this is why you would never get a boycott to work. There will always be people like the above coz PASHUN INNIT

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do we know, or can we find out, the date of the last home game that Randy Lerner attended? I think that would be a great addition to the timeline, as suggested by @dounavilla

I think the difficulty with this is corroborating the information. 

Does anyone know for sure because if we don't we could end up weakening our argument. The infographic needs to be spot on.

I agree though that at the moment the information on there kind of makes us sound like a bunch of spoilt brats. :(

I agree though that at the moment the information on there kind of makes us sound like a bunch of spoilt brats. [emoji20]

This is where I am right now.

If you say 'we're protesting because we want investment into the team', the answer will be 'well you had massive investment with O'Neill. Also, you were given all of the Benteke and Delph money to invest (plus a bit more) last summer, which is how you bought Ayew, Veretout, Amavi, Gana, Traore, Gestede etc'.

If the demand then changes to 'Yes, but we want money invested in the RIGHT players', then the answer will be 'Firstly, all teams want that but not all get it. Secondly, Ayew and Amavi have both been championed as excellent purchases. You can't win them all'.

Then the demand appears to be 'we want clear direction', but again, I think we already have a clear direction. Without the board sending a communication to everyone, it's pretty clear that our plan recently is to buy promising players who we can improve, sell for more money and repeat (which is what we should be doing, like Everton/Spurs etc).

The main issue for me, is that we're shit. But lots of teams are shit, and you just have to put up with the shitness until you start playing well again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

I think the difficulty with this is corroborating the information. 

Does anyone know for sure because if we don't we could end up weakening our argument. The infographic needs to be spot on.

I agree though that at the moment the information on there kind of makes us sound like a bunch of spoilt brats. :(

I think it might have been Arsenal at home last season.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

"I just can't do this!"

Clowns,and these are the kind of people Hollis, Lerner and Fox will be laughing at over a nice expensive glass of rose

Â