Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

I'd support Mikes idea of a walkout on the 74th minute. My only worry is that games are now likely to see attendances of at best the high 20k's and if we serve up the kind of crap we did on Sunday again then half those fans will have left before the 74th minute. This needs mass participation to have any chance of having an impact and I agree with DDID that getting the backing of Collymore would certainly help get the word out.

I think any protest needs to avoid the "money" angle. Yes, we all know he hasn't invested nearly enough, but we'd be picking the wrong battle there, one they want us to pick. One they can defeat.

It needs to be a more general thing, how his mismanagement has turned us into a farce.

Out the door on '74 is perfect. But we'd need to start gaining traction now. As in today.

• Like 4

Just now, DCJonah said:

You may not like collymore, but he's a high profile villa fan who uses his profile to highlight the terrible job Lerner has done. He has my respect for that. 

Indeed. I have a love/hate relationship with him myself, but he is a Villa fan. I do with most of you! Blood runs thicker. 

I'm not very good at twitter by the way and I don't have many followers, but I'll keep my end. 

• Like 1

Guys, we can try kicking this off and using Twitter etc but I still need to know who is going to help so that we can agree a plan. I have sent a tweet to Collymore and am awaiting for a response. As someone said we need ideally to do it during a televised game - is Everton on TV and is it possible to spread the word in time available?

I can see that someone has started via Twitter after my Twitter post to Collymore, which is great but we need to act together. If not Everton we need to decide which game and then develop the plan. If it is to be Everton we need to get motoring quickly. 

Once we have agreed the game, we need to be clear on the reasons for the protest. In the event that the media contact us we must have a coherent response. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Have sent a tweet to Stan. 

#outthedooron74 has its first run out :)

I tweeted him at 2am this morning, :-)

@StanCollymore Some long term Villa fans r considering a walkout. Will be promoted as Out the Door on '74 in recognition of 1874 founding
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2016 at 08:35, Woodytom said:

Just STOP going.

Regardless of whether you hold up a white flag, walk out on 74 minutes or take a piss in the centre circle, by still going, you are basically saying that you still enjoy the product.

Yes some people are addicted, or use it as a social event. Are there no other things to do at 3pm with your friends? Just stay in Brum watching the scores. 

Over a barrel because of the very nature of football: ie the sheer hope that this week night be different. The wild belief that this is OUR club. It isn't. It's randy Lerner's and i've been saying for years that he can do what the hell he likes with it. And guess what? He is.

Football has changed. Some fans have realised this and changed with it. Others are still stuck a decade or so ago.

Aston Villa - It's a business. A business with arguably the worst product on the planet. Don't go, and break the business.

As a season ticket holder it makes no odds if I turn up or not. I've paid for the ticket. It counts in the attendance. 

Unfortunately there's a lot of us in the same position. 

I guess the answer is to not buy a season ticket, but I like my seat and I don't want to lose it so... I'm pretty stuck . 

EDIT: I'm still completely unsure what it is the walk out is for? What's the message? Is it to say we're unhappy with how Lerner has run the club? 

Edited by PieFacE

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

As a season ticket holder it makes no odds if I turn up or not. I've paid for the ticket. It counts in the attendance. 

I guess the answer is to not buy a season ticket, but I like my seat and I don't want to lose it so... I'm pretty stuck . 

EDIT: I'm still completely unsure what it is the walk out is for? What's the message? Is it to say we're unhappy with how Lerner has run the club? 

Yes. Though I would suggest anger and disgust as opposed to unhappy!

We could do with a few more of you lot getting behind this. A few more tweets to journo's, Collymore in particular would be a great help. Perhaps asking if they have heard of this "out the door on 74" protest. So far aside from a few re-tweets it's a 2 man band! It takes a few seconds of your time and could make a massive difference, this kind of thing can snowball before you know it. 

Don't forget the hashtag!

#OutTheDoorOn74 #LernerOut

38 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Like you I am a season ticket holder. i do NOT want to stop going to Villa park, I  want to renew next year but also want to know how they are going to stop the rot and reverse the decline. I believe they are hell bent on even deeper cuts and that recruitment in the summer will be minimal. I have no confidence in the current directors or Lerner but we are stuck with them. However we don't have to take it lying down.

We need  to send a message to the club about how angry and disgusted we are.

Walking out on the 74th will be an illustration of how Villa fans can act together to get that message over. It will not persuade Lerner to sell or even drop his price but it might, just might prompt a positive response from the club. Banners, chants, abusing the players etc will have no effect - we need to do something different.

Like you I will have paid in advance for my ticket for the Everton game. Rather than drift away as the fans did against LFC a simultaneous walk out on the 74th minute would be a much more powerful statement. It would show we care, are not apathetic and can act together.

• Like 1

Slight fly in ointment.

Quite a few have already made the decision to stop going. For me, I cancelled my season ticket a couple of seasons ago, and the FA Cup game v Man City was my last straw as a 'walk up'.

Trouble is, those of us who have stopped going would've been the most likely to walk out.

Therefore you are already dealing with people who are still going, and therefore by definition are less likely to walk out, if you see what I mean.

Now I'm as Anti as the next guy, but I'm not buying a ticket to see a Team I have stopped going to see and to then walk out.  And I know a few others the same.

I'm not being negative, or a 'sit on their hands',( - in fact I am still awaiting a proposed call from B of America however pointless it may be).......but I just think you need something added to it so the 'not goings' are included.  And try as I might I've not thought of anything yet. It may just be a case of there is nothing we can do about it, but its a shame, as the attendance drop will, as I've said, probably effectively be people who have already 'walked out'.

What's this protest trying to achieve? It just seems like we're copying Liverpool without any real reason. Not to mention Liverpool were 2-0 up before the walkout and ended up drawing 2-2. As unlikely as it is we are still not down and out yet, what if we're winning when the walkout happens? It would be detrimental.  I'd be all up for protesting once we are confirmed to be down, but it just seems a bit pointless right now. Other than the Liverpool game we'd been playing quite well considering our striker crisis.

1 hour ago, guyavfc said:

What's this protest trying to achieve? It just seems like we're copying Liverpool without any real reason. Not to mention Liverpool were 2-0 up before the walkout and ended up drawing 2-2. As unlikely as it is we are still not down and out yet, what if we're winning when the walkout happens? It would be detrimental.  I'd be all up for protesting once we are confirmed to be down, but it just seems a bit pointless right now. Other than the Liverpool game we'd been playing quite well considering our striker crisis.

No offence mate but read earlier posts, we have responded to the same question several times. We realise that many will never support any form of protest and that for some everything is 'a bit-pointless'. We are past the point of having to sell or explain the idea - if it fails so be it, but at least we will have tried. 

• Like 1

Just a thought, something different. Hire the grounds of Aston manor for a live tv game and set up a fans zone. Hire a couple of big screens. Play a recording of the european cup final 82 of course. This way all fans who can't, don't want to go to the match or want to protest could watch the game outside of villa park whilst a game is going on inside. Therefor there could be 30,000 fans outside watching our finest hour and 10,000 watching the dross inside. Maybe some banners saying What It COULD Be WHAT it SHOULD BE!

Sorry if this seems insane but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Â