Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

A house and a football club are in no way comparable.

They are if they are both a significant amount of your net worth. Substitute something else of monetary value to you (car, stamp collection etc) if it makes you feel better

39 minutes ago, mwj said:

They are if they are both a significant amount of your net worth. Substitute something else of monetary value to you (car, stamp collection etc) if it makes you feel better

They aren't a significant amount of his net worth though. 

Also, buying and treating a football club like an asset shows just how naive he is.

I think you're being slightly dismissive mwj.  You say it will achieve nothing.  If it is already getting airtime on the likes of BBC and ITV then that's an added embarrassment for Lerner and it increases the exposure of the protest to more fans.  You say a disgruntled fanbase weakens his bargaining power.  In that case and because of that fact it makes his life as Villa owner that bit less comfortable and makes him potentially more amenable to a cut-price sale.

If this protest is the first of many steps then that too is a positive.  A rebellion has to start somewhere.  If this one fails but the next one succeeds off the back of it then it was a necessary step in the process.  If however it succeeds and Lerner decides he wants out at any (reasonable) cost to himself then that's great too.  But something has to happen.

We need to start mobilising the troops.  The fans are the troops, not to mention the financial long-term lifeblood.  If we can make his life uncomfortable and make our disquiet as visible as we possibly can, and make his tenure even more embarrassing than the ignominious manner of this season's relegation then we must do that too.

Otherwise the alternative is that we all sit here accepting everything that comes our way with zero fight and zero resistance.  Arms crossed giving out about how it used to be.

We have to at least try.

Perhaps I am, and I would really like to be wrong, but at the end of the day his business is a dictatorship not a democracy. "Solidarity" achieves nothing.

• Like 1

They aren't a significant amount of his net worth though. 

Also, buying and treating a football club like an asset shows just how naive he is.

£200million squid is a lot of money for anyone, no matter how rich you are. If you think a businessman (even one as shit as Randy) treats a football club as anything other than an asset then I'm not sure he's the naive one...

4 minutes ago, mwj said:

Perhaps I am, and I would really like to be wrong, but at the end of the day his business is a dictatorship not a democracy. "Solidarity" achieves nothing.

Indeed it is a dictatorship in so far as it is Lerner who decides the next step.  But; and it's a big but; pretty much no-one enjoys being disliked.  Or hated even.  Unless they're a bit on the mental side, which I don't think Randy is.  He's currently in a deteriorating situation owning Villa where things are getting worse on the ground and this will hopefully be a very visible example of that.  If we can make it such that he wants to extricate himself from the situation sooner than he'd ideally like, then that's job done.  One thing is for sure.  If we did nothing, and we made his life relatively comfortable by doing nothing, then that wouldn't be fair on the club.

• Like 2

Just now, mwj said:

£200million squid is a lot of money for anyone, no matter how rich you are. If you think a businessman (even one as shit as Randy) treats a football club as anything other than an asset then I'm not sure he's the naive one...

Don't think I could disagree with you anymore so without wishing to derail the thread further I think we can leave it at that.

• Like 2

On 15 February 2016 at 12:31, El-Reacho said:

The Liverpool walk-out had a clear objective, and as a response to it the club met their objective.

I'm not sure what we're trying to achieve here - what response are we hoping for? Lerner knows he's despised by the fans, and that we want him out, he wants himself out. That's why he won't come to the games. Does he sack Fox or Reilly as a response? Where does that leave us? Still screwed but with a different CEO. I don't think anyone outside of the Villa community cares that much - as bad as it is that a pillar of English footballing history drops out of the top tier they're more focused on who their own clubs are going to sign etc.

That's exactly it for me. If Lerner wasn't looking to sell it'd have a point but he does. He won't take a £100m hit because a few hundred fans walk out on 74 min! 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeMcKenna said:

I will probably end up with egg my face but.......... nothing ventured........!

Well that's it for me too.  Say nothing comes of it and people try to mock.  That mocking is what exactly?  "Haha, you tried to help the club that you love".  Ehh, O ... K ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Fair play for the effort.

Just don't think it will show the world, media or randy Lerner anything in addition to what being bottom of the league with 16 points does.

But, all the best.

I think at the minute we're finally seeing the press start to publish the fans views towards the Lerner regime, rather than manager or player focused stuff. We really need to continue this trend by giving the media more images of fan frustration, a walkout would get great coverage and also further show our anger towards the regime in control.

Think this walk out makes a great deal of sense, perhaps we should have a different them every week, saw something about a tennis ball protest earlier on Twitter where we all throw tennis balls onto the pitch at a certain minute - sounds fun! 

Â