Mervyn King

Nabby

Joined as board member as per OS 

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5321567,00.html

Aston Villa Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Lord King of Lothbury, the former Governor of the Bank of England, to its Board of Directors.

Mervyn is a life-long Villa supporter who has a deep understanding of the Club and the role that it plays in the lives of its many loyal supporters.

He has always taken a close interest in the workings of the Club and adds to the Board a strong, well-informed point of view which will be invaluable as we look to take the Club forward.

Chairman Steve Hollis said: "I was delighted when Mervyn agreed to join the Board. His dedicated support for the Club is well known.

"Mervyn successfully steered the Bank of England through the most turbulent economic headwinds in living memory and his appointment to the Board is a huge boost as we plan our path back to more successful times."

Mervyn added: "It is a privilege to be asked to serve as a director of this great Club. I watched my first match at Villa Park more than 55 years ago, and have experienced the highs and the lows since then.

"I shall do my best to help the rebuilding of Aston Villa Football Club as together we return it to its position as one of the top clubs in the world."

Edited by Nabby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Not sure about this, not really done much in the PDC since he switched from the BDO :ph34r:

He wears ear plugs to ignore what's going on around him. So he'll fit right in. 

Mervyn King appointed to Board of Directors

"Aston Villa Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Lord King of Lothbury, the former Governor of the Bank of England, to its Board of Directors.

Mervyn is a life-long Villa supporter who has a deep understanding of the Club and the role that it plays in the lives of its many loyal supporters.

He has always taken a close interest in the workings of the Club and adds to the Board a strong, well-informed point of view which will be invaluable as we look to take the Club forward.

Chairman Steve Hollis said: "I was delighted when Mervyn agreed to join the Board. His dedicated support for the Club is well known.

"Mervyn successfully steered the Bank of England through the most turbulent economic headwinds in living memory and his appointment to the Board is a huge boost as we plan our path back to more successful times."

Mervyn added: "It is a privilege to be asked to serve as a director of this great Club. I watched my first match at Villa Park more than 55 years ago, and have experienced the highs and the lows since then.

"I shall do my best to help the rebuilding of Aston Villa Football Club as together we return it to its position as one of the top clubs in the world."

Edit: link

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5321567,00.html

Edited by sne

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

One question though how does this role differ from Hollis? Why couldnt we just get King and not get that clown Hollis? Why do we need both?

Hollis is chairman. King is a director.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

One question though how does this role differ from Hollis? Why couldnt we just get King and not get that clown Hollis? Why do we need both?

The Board of Directors make decisions as a committee about the general direction of the club, and whether the C-Level are doing a good job / should be fired.

The Chairman is the head of the Board

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

A token Villa fan to hide behind.

Say what you will, he sure has a fancy name/title

Almost as spiffy as some of those silly kkk ones. Not quite Grand Imperial Wizard, but "Mervyn Lord King of Lothbury" sure has a ring to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Mervyn King appointed to Board of Directors

Steady on lad. We haven't got a pot to piss in, and your talking about about our position as one of the world's top clubs :crylaugh:

I'd be happy with a fecking draw against the mighty Norwich. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Steady on lad. We haven't got a pot to piss in, and your talking about about our position as one of the world's top clubs :crylaugh:

I'd be happy with a fecking draw against the mighty Norwich. 

Maybe he still has a key to the vault at Gringotts Bank of England?

We sure could use the influx of money...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say this may be a good appointment 

This is the sort of appointment that the fans have been calling for for a long time. So why is it that I'm underwhelmed?

Maybe the last few years have just turned me into a negative conspiracy theorist, but this just seems to me to be a token Villa fan on board to shield the clowns and keep the natives happy. 

I hope I'm wrong, because like you said, this could be a good appointment. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

This is the sort of appointment that the fans have been calling for for a long time. So why is it that I'm underwhelmed?

Maybe the last few years have just turned me into a negative conspiracy theorist, but this just seems to me to be a token Villa fan on board to shield the clowns and keep the natives happy. 

I hope I'm wrong, because like you said, this could be a good appointment. 

To be fair, the rumours of King being appointed have been around for a while, so I don't think this is something that has been cooked up, for example, to satisfy people's claims that our chairman should have been a "Villa man".

I've nothing against the appointment.

I also don't think that there'd be any validity in the assumption they would bring a bloke in as a director to create a 'Villa fan' shaped shield. It wouldn't achieve anything. All the other board members have the narrative of being out of touch clowns already so Mervyn King isn't deflecting anything from them as things stand. It might make him himself slightly more Teflon but I'd wager we never hear from him and we never have a clue what his input is. Like most directors of most businesses.

At first glance at least this looks like a good appointment.

Although I'm starting to wonder if Lerner plans to turn Aston Villa into a purely theoretical team?

Getting rid of players while at the same time only strengthening the board but not signing any players. ;)

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Â