Mervyn King

Nabby

Strange times, really, when Mervyn King, who, as Governor of the Bank of England, couldn't spot the biggest financial collapse in post-war history coming, is hailed as the saviour of Aston Villa; Remi Garde, who so far has the worst managerial record of any Aston Villa manager ever gets an on-line petition asking him to stay; and Carles Gil, who has contributed virtually nothing to the team's performance, is lauded as our one of our best players.

A phrase including the words: "straws, at, clutching" springs to mind.

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Strange times, really, when Mervyn King, who, as Governor of the Bank of England, couldn't spot the biggest financial collapse in post-war history coming, is hailed as the saviour of Aston Villa; Remi Garde, who so far has the worst managerial record of any Aston Villa manager ever gets an on-line petition asking him to stay; and Carles Gil, who has contributed virtually nothing to the team's performance, is lauded as our one of our best players.

Who could see it coming briny?

• Like 1

Mervyn King and Steve Hollis were doing the rounds yesterday.....they were systematically visiting tables in the corporate dining area....presumably looking for feed back and displaying gratitude for the business.

They didn't visit my table, but I did hear Leicester being mentioned from one table they did visit......what relevance that was, who can say.

I can understand the PR they offered and the money that these packages cost....the significance of sustaining this business is crucial in terms of revenue and people's jobs, the staff in there work really well,they don't deserve to lose their jobs.

However, if it's the football side, they are getting feedback on......I think the man on the terrace is the one to ask......those that have followed the team for generations and seen us when we have been successful as well as unsuccessful like now.

On 5 February 2016 at 16:45, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

The current board are money men, their first thought is finance. A board should be balanced with opposing/alternate views/discussions and the Chairman facilitates the conversation and consensus. I'm not confident any board meeting has a varied, fearless (honest) and core football element. 

With the right stewardship a Chairman can uncover a variety of opportunities once tried, ignored, glanced over or perhaps never considered/been unravelled. Having chaired and participated on boards it's always obvious when someone divergent, not divisive, attends.
I think King will be ...good ... he's used to conflict.....but where on the board will it come from?! And I don't mean conflict in crisis, I mean footballing context not simply from a fans perspective but a wider club understanding.

I wouldn't say we need a board member to be an ex player ... but the club would benefit hugely from a football/club first opinion which is then balanced by finance. Rather than finance balanced by football.
That's important whatever is going on at the club, whether asset stripping/selling/consolidating/rejuvenating.  

I totally agree.

Still, it is what it is. We just need to hope they can make "it" work. The problems at Villa have come about over time for two different reasons. Firstly when Randy Lerner was "engaged" he threw money at the club, with little mechanism for controlling and managing and taking account of the long term implications - it was a gambler's approach, with no thought for potential adverse consequences. That's fine in its own way, I suppose. But it's not the right way to look after a business or a football club. So lack of proper structure and a haphazard approach to finical control and management. The absence of people whose expertise was "money" really and the absence of wise advice on the football aspects. It didn't matter when the money was there, because the money was enough to mask the underlying problems.

But once Randy lost interest in his toy, that's when the legacy he was making really started to bite us. While he still has been covering the annual losses with his own funds, he's stopped spending wedges on players and left the club feeding at the lower end of the food chain when it's come to players. When you have that, and no proper structure, and a disinterested and disengaged owner, you're in big trouble. Which is us over the past 4 years or so.

In the summer, having decided (I think) to effectively wash his hands of any/all involvement, he's appointed other people to do pretty much everything, and told them (I suspect) "no more money from me". So the people he's put in place have to do their best to deal with the problems that the club has.

1. No structure - to be fair, one has been put in place.

2. Reduce costs. We can see cost cutting going on all over - from the offloading of players, to reduced "value" in corporate packages, to lay-offs. It's harsh and unappealing.

3. Stop spending. The board know (as do we, when we stop dreaming) that the club will be relegated. There was in financial terms, no point in spending money in January. We are about to take a massive hit to income from TV.

4. Raise money. Hard when the team's poor, but they say they've been working at it.

These 4 things are pretty much replicas of what Ellis did when he came back and relegated the club. It's the same approach and same failings. I know the landscape has changed - the leagues are less open (Leicester notwithstanding) and there's FFP and much more revenue comes from sources other than gate receipts.

What's ahead no-one can be sure of. When we go down, will we come back up? The problem is that perhaps a majority of promoted clubs tend to go up based on rich owners being engaged with their clubs. Watford, Bournemouth, Southampton etc. have got up on the back of being able to spend with the support of their owners. Others have come up due to engaged, but not so wealthy owners - Norwich, Albion, Swansea... And a few have yo-yo'd - relegated clubs getting back (Albion & Norwich again, perhaps, Newcastle, QPR..) 

But all of them have had "the whole club" focused on the same aim - to be the best they can be. For as long as Villa and Randy Lerner are not focused on that, but on being sold, on cutting and not spending, then there will be no revival. It's just the way these things work.

So the people on the board have one heck of a job on their hands.

• Like 3

On 06/02/2016 at 02:32, briny_ear said:

One of the shittest posts I've ever read.

• Like 4

• 7 years later...
13 minutes ago, useless said:

Aston Villa is delighted to unveil the Honorary Anniversary Board ahead of the club’s 150th anniversary season.

Lord King of Lothbury, Mervyn King

Lord King is an economist and public servant who served as Governor of the Bank of England between 2003-2013. He was appointed a life peer by the Queen in 2013, entering the House of Lords as Baron King of Lothbury. Lord King joined Aston Villa’s Board of Directors in 2016, citing it as a “privilege” to serve the club he has supported all his life.

avfc

Didn't he help flog is to Xia? 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Didn't he help flog is to Xia? 

That was Hollis and Lerner. King is a legend. Resigned and gave Lerner a few home truths along with Bernstein.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â