Mervyn King

Nabby

1 minute ago, useless said:

I mean if Hollis was here to asset strip, I doubt King would have signed up to the board to have his name associated with that.

im gonna be a cynic here and say Garde probably wouldn't have signed if he knew he wasn't going to get the support he needed during the january window either. Not saying they lied to Garde or Mervyn, but bending the truth a bit can make quite the difference.

I know nothing about Mervyn, but on paper his history looks good, if he can do whatever a director is suppose to do im all for it.

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Oh no, just got in and this sounded a really promising appointment until I saw the last post? Hope it was lies!

same here..

is news of the world credible? thats beyond **** up if true. surley the man should be locked up if theres any truth to it? please dont tell me there is?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

"Mervyn is a life-long Villa supporter who has a deep understanding of the Club and the role that it plays in the lives of its many loyal supporters."

I do not question Mervyn King's loyalty or support for the club. But frankly his appointment is just another load of bollox. I find the claim that he has a "deep understanding" [...] "that it plays in the lives of it's many loyal supporters" complete tosh and insulting. He knows very little about the lives of vast majority of supporters - if he did he wouldn't join Lerner and the other  ******* who run the club in perpetuating this nightmare!!

This is exactly the type of appointment I would expect Lerner to make - he hasn't got a ******* clue if he thinks the fans consider Mervyn King to be one of our own.

As usual more ****** window dressing! What next Prince William to become an honorary President?

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery!

When will this all end!

I'm with you chap. An a life long Villa fan, Funny, I have never heard of him going to watch our team at VP.

3 minutes ago, tomaspg said:

im gonna be a cynic here and say Garde probably wouldn't have signed if he knew he wasn't going to get the support he needed during the january window either. Not saying they lied to Garde or Mervyn, but bending the truth a bit can make quite the difference.

I know nothing about Mervyn, but on paper his history looks good, if he can do whatever a director is suppose to do im all for it.

As far as I know we did try to sign players, so the support  for Garde was there to an extent. I'm hoping King's here to help sell the club, as that's what needs to happen.

2 minutes ago, tomaspg said:

same here..

is news of the world credible? thats beyond **** up if true. surley the man should be locked up if theres any truth to it? please dont tell me there is?

Didn't mean your previous post tomaspg, as you posted whilst I was writing! I meant the one from Nuremberg. Totally agree with you by the way. I imagine it was a false accusation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Club probably would have been better off, from a PR point of view, announcing King as chairman and Hollis as something else. They both still could have done the same job, but that way around you'd get a better figure head in King as chairman.

But Hollis' full time job is chairman. King is just on the board of directors. He's probably on the board of directors for a few organisations, in addition to being the president of Warwickshire Crickers. I guess you could appoint King as chairman and then have Hollis do the job, but it would be a bit silly. King will just come in for the board meetings and keep not much more than a passing eye on things from afar. Hollis is the man on the ground. 

That's just my understanding of what a board of directors in a football club is. I might be totally wrong.

Anyways, this is nothing really. It's Mervyn King's name in the paper. It's Aston Villa's name in the paper. Yeah it might result in King saying that he has a mate in Thailand who is running a football school that Villa could be seen to sponsor to raise the club's profile over there, or he might chat to one of his mates in a German company who he knows is looking to sponsor a sports team and try to convince him to sponsor Villa, but I can't see his role making any real difference that we'll notice. Biggest effect he can have is finding a buyer for Randy.

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery!

That's why I think King could help. You don't get appointed Governor of BOE if you can't make good decisions. Whether we like it or not, finance and football are bedfellows, we need both things working well to get back to where we belong.  Clearly the money ain't coming from Randy, so we either generate more funds, borrow or find a new buyer - having King at the table gives me a bit more hope the club will improve in those areas and that that will eventually translate into more success on the pitch.  Of course, it could be window dressing (as you say) but I doubt King would have accepted if that was the case, especially if he genuinely supports the club as he claims.  He certainly has more status, experience and knowledge than Hollis so hoping he will wield plenty of influence for the good of the club.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Just now, useless said:

As far as I know we did try to sign players, so the support  for Garde was there to an extent. I'm hoping King's here to help sell the club, as that's what needs to happen.

true that, but not as much support as most of us would have liked. Regarding the last bit i hope youre right too. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Great!  As if things couldn't get any worse, now we've got a paedo on the board FFS!!!!11!!!!11!

NOTW-front_6091947_177928b.jpg

You're being unfair. He just ran it. It doesn't say he actually had sex with the children. Therefore not a paedo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That reads like a random outburst based on very little. Your cynicism is understandable, but it's not backed up by any evidence.

If I thought I could make a difference I'd accept a director role. Because I love the club.

It is nothing but a sop the fans - a pure PR exercise and for some it appears to have worked. I would not criticise Mervyn King's support, he goes to games and is a undoubtedly loyal fan.   Far from a random outburst. If you had read my post I complained about the claim that has a "deep understanding" of the role the club plays in the lives of the fans. His involvement with fans is limited to the rarified atmosphere around his seat in the directors box and the directors dining room. 

King has been around and close to the directors of the club for years. If he had any influence or contacts worth leveraging he would have done it before now. I love the club like you but also believe that King will do nothing as a director to impact the mess we are in, other than allow Lerner to distant himself from his failed investment. 

An opinion doesn't require evidence. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

Â