Mervyn King

Nabby

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Well he sounds reasonably qualified, so I have no doubt Randy will find a way to **** him off or bin him off.

Fair point. 

Hopefully the whole board are gone by Xmas, as that would likely mean we have new owners. 

3 hours ago, villanmac said:

Proper Villa fan with all the credentials, great appointment.

Compared to running the BoE villa will be like a corner shop to him. Hopefully he can get the tossers to stop running it like one.

Pretty happy with this appointment - he seems to want to help the club and his high profile, financial knowledge and connections can only help us I think - maybe he can help find a buyer?  Would also like to see a shrewd football person on the board, although I wonder how much we are paying these people to govern.   Then again compared to what we pay players it is probably a small drop in in a big ocean.  

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Another finance person running the club, yey!!!! Not one person on the board you could say, yup, I can see why they'd be good for the club overall.
At least he knows policy and not just asset stripping which is going to be a real help to our quite awful current bunch. He just won't have anyone to suggest any good ideas, but I'm sure at 67 he's extremely innovative and up with the modern game.......

Funny how quickly people are turned when a famous Villa fan is put on the board, no mention of his salary, what he knows about modern football or running a club in all aspects.....but then most Villa fans only bother to look at the surface so a gesture usually quietens the majority down.

Probably why a comment including this is so highly liked. 

You want investment from the middle east, or China etc. This guy can open doors that way. Obviously he won't be able to make miracles, but he will be able to give us a chance. Better connections to big money than Lerner, at least outside of the US.

Should've brought him in a long time ago.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Doing the numbers for Villa will be small free in comparison to Bank of England, that can only be good for us

Fee? or Fries?

It's not the numbers I'm worried about, it's the club ethos, the youth team, experience exposure, making best use of our resources, the charity work/community interaction, best practices, communication with fans and across the club, policy in practice.....and the rest.....

No doubt he'll be good, however he's no good if he's just like the rest.

I think this is terrific news, he is a life long villa fan and possibly the most qualified board member any board, any organisation, ney country, on the planet could hope to have. GIves me optimism that Hollis is not just the hatchet man after all and that there is a genuine plan to get us moving again.

Might as well get Prince Will

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

We should get Harry on board. Then we'd have

A Prince who'll be King

A King who's a Lord

A President Who's a Sir

and an Owner who doesn't care

Edited by Gary Thomas

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

We should get Harry on board.

Then we'd have

A Prince who'll be King

A King who's a Lord

A President Who's a Sir

and an Owner who's a...........

For a moment I thought the Harry you were referring to was Rednapp. It which case we'd have:

848146._UY112_.jpg

Good appointment, I think.

As already said, Merv' has contacts which will hopefully help with getting new deals, etc. I can say one thing about him that I can't say about anyone else on the board; he's a Villa fan. I trust he understands how we currently feel and what needs to be done.

My one negative is I think he should be the Chairman. He has skills with the press, financial and management skills. I'm not saying Hollis doesn't have this, but from what I've seen of Reg so far, I much prefer Merv'. The press would lap up him being Chairman.

Like they did with Balls at Norwich, but in a good way.

• Like 1

business and economics are essential.  But I think somebody on the board ought to know a bit about the product.  We aren't in the financial services industry.

He's a lifelong Villa fan, so he has that.

I'm not sure who we could bring in who would satisfy that. Somebody like Ian Taylor for example, how much does he understand the modern game from the inside. More than Tom Fox, who spent years at a top, top club, for example? That has hardly been a resounding success.

In King we have a man who has operated at the very highest level of business, with connections, one can deduce, extending beyond 99.9% of the population of planet earth. He also happens to be a fan, somebody we can trust to have the best intentions of the club at heart.

Will it change a thing? Hard to know. But it's better than a kick in the bollocks.

• Like 1

Things looking pretty bleak on and off the pitch at the mo. But surely King wouldn't have signed up and said the things he has, if he didn't think there was a good plan to improve things. Either that or he's going to try and help Lerner sell the club.

"Mervyn is a life-long Villa supporter who has a deep understanding of the Club and the role that it plays in the lives of its many loyal supporters."

I do not question Mervyn King's loyalty or support for the club. But frankly his appointment is just another load of bollox. I find the claim that he has a "deep understanding" [...] "that it plays in the lives of it's many loyal supporters" complete tosh and insulting. He knows very little about the lives of vast majority of supporters - if he did he wouldn't join Lerner and the other  ******* who run the club in perpetuating this nightmare!!

This is exactly the type of appointment I would expect Lerner to make - he hasn't got a ******* clue if he thinks the fans consider Mervyn King to be one of our own.

As usual more ****** window dressing! What next Prince William to become an honorary President?

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery!

When will this all end!

"Mervyn is a life-long Villa supporter who has a deep understanding of the Club and the role that it plays in the lives of its many loyal supporters."

I do not question Mervyn King's loyalty or support for the club. But frankly his appointment is just another load of bollox. I find the claim that he has a "deep understanding" [...] "that it plays in the lives of it's many loyal supporters" complete tosh and insulting. He knows very little about the lives of vast majority of supporters - if he did he wouldn't join Lerner and the other  ******* who run the club in perpetuating this nightmare!!

This is exactly the type of appointment I would expect Lerner to make - he hasn't got a ******* clue if he thinks the fans consider Mervyn King to be one of our own.

As usual more ****** window dressing! What next Prince William to become an honorary President?

Couldn't run a piss up in a brewery!

When will this all end!

That reads like a random outburst based on very little. Your cynicism is understandable, but it's not backed up by any evidence.

If I thought I could make a difference I'd accept a director role. Because I love the club.

• Like 1

Â