Mervyn King

Nabby

A fantastic appointment if he can have as much influence as we all hope he can.  A proper supporter who has the nous (and career to back it up) that we need.  Welcome to the club, Merv.  Make an impact.  

3 minutes ago, mwj said:

FFS you clowns, it even SAYS "jonathan king" in the first sentence of the article... :)

Hold my hands up here, as just got in, logged on and just saw the headline. Didn't even think to give it a closer look. Once bitten and never trust a mod.................joking of course!

• Like 1

Hollis, Fox, King. 

Yeah he's a Villa fan and on the surface looks like an improvement on the past faceless non entities pushed into positions of authority at this club but I just don't care anymore.

All these financial rocket polisher suits in the bowels of our club. That, with the slightly exaggerated 'fact' that I struggle to remember the names of some of our recent players and it just doesn't even feel like the Villa I love anymore. We are a just a hollow shell. An unrecognisable husk being abused against its will. 

I'm at the point now that I'd prefer someone to just put the final bullet in our head so we can rise again years from now refreshed and free from the word removeds who are destroying this once proud club.

It isn't Aston villa anymore, it's just another faceless 'PLC' that just happens to be in the business of football.

I'm hankering after a football club who wants to be part of the 'game' of football. In it for sporting reasons and to entertain the fans not to just keep the bank balance of the owners topped up or used as a vanity play thing.

For that to happen though we need the premier league to implode, caps on wages, fees & clauses and all that rubbish and the football league to separate itself completely.

Let the money/business word removeds stroke each other off in their super leagues or whatever and let those clubs who want to play in a fair system have at it. Away from sky, agents and bored billionaires.

Of course none if this will ever happen. Think it's time to give up for 5 years, start going to Kidderminster games or summat and just hope we become a club to enjoy again. I'm not saying winning games, I mean a club with correct values, players who are passionate, doesn't hate it's fans, competes in games etc... I don't care if we lose every game in a season if they are hard fought, some graft & effort put in but fairly lost.

It's got to be better than this route of sleepwalking into incurable dementia like state we are in. Hasn't it? 

I hope you lot understand what I'm trying to say, I know it's semi rambling nonsense but I don't know how to properly explain how this current incarnation of Villa has made me feel. My point being that it doesn't feel like Villa anymore, I desperately want it too but maybe it's too late and its better to sit it out for a bit until we are no longer a pr spin machine and a billionaire brats vanity project masquerading as a football club and are run by people with the game of football at heart.

Sad really. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Well this should keep the shareholders happy and help our position on the FTSE100........oh hang on, we're not actually a financial institution but a Football Club?? Oh!

But he's a Villa fan so that's ok? Smart move from Randy, certainly fooled people here.

Not me, he knows **** all about football.

In pragmatic terms, what actually is he going to do? 

59 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Hollis, Fox, King. 

Yeah he's a Villa fan and on the surface looks like an improvement on the past faceless non entities pushed into positions of authority at this club but I just don't care anymore.

All these financial rocket polisher suits in the bowels of our club. That, with the slightly exaggerated 'fact' that I struggle to remember the names of some of our recent players and it just doesn't even feel like the Villa I love anymore. We are a just a hollow shell. An unrecognisable husk being abused against its will. 

I'm at the point now that I'd prefer someone to just put the final bullet in our head so we can rise again years from now refreshed and free from the word removeds who are destroying this once proud club.

It isn't Aston villa anymore, it's just another faceless 'PLC' that just happens to be in the business of football.

I'm hankering after a football club who wants to be part of the 'game' of football. In it for sporting reasons and to entertain the fans not to just keep the bank balance of the owners topped up or used as a vanity play thing.

For that to happen though we need the premier league to implode, caps on wages, fees & clauses and all that rubbish and the football league to separate itself completely.

Let the money/business word removeds stroke each other off in their super leagues or whatever and let those clubs who want to play in a fair system have at it. Away from sky, agents and bored billionaires.

Of course none if this will ever happen. Think it's time to give up for 5 years, start going to Kidderminster games or summat and just hope we become a club to enjoy again. I'm not saying winning games, I mean a club with correct values, players who are passionate, doesn't hate it's fans, competes in games etc... I don't care if we lose every game in a season if they are hard fought, some graft & effort put in but fairly lost.

It's got to be better than this route of sleepwalking into incurable dementia like state we are in. Hasn't it? 

I hope you lot understand what I'm trying to say, I know it's semi rambling nonsense but I don't know how to properly explain how this current incarnation of Villa has made me feel. My point being that it doesn't feel like Villa anymore, I desperately want it too but maybe it's too late and its better to sit it out for a bit until we are no longer a pr spin machine and a billionaire brats vanity project masquerading as a football club and are run by people with the game of football at heart.

Sad really. 

I sympathise with your feelings, Ingram, but the world you wish for ended when players became professional.

You cannot turn the clock back, and the kind of club you want to see is now only ever going to exist in the lower reaches of the `amateur' leagues. Hopefully Aston Villa will never be there.

People are saying how unhappy Garde looks, but he does not look any more miserable than I feel.

I am glad for this because the board, is an important decision making hierarchy, with a life's experience combined, you have to be old and wise to join a board generally. Mervyn is probably inexperienced as a football brain but at least he was a fan when we were fooking good. I trust him to represent This is a man who when he sees bullshit he knows, but when  he sees bullshit threatening his lifelong club, he should really throw every sinew against that - he is one of us, but with some power. I hope

• Like 2

Welcome Merv the Swerve! 

He may well have not have wanted the chairman's job because of the extra time that would need him to put in. But when he is at Villa Park or in a board meeting his voice will carry a hell of a lot more weight than the rest of the board members and I doubt if he will have agreed to be there just to act as a "yes man". He has also made it clear before this appointment that we are his team which makes a nice change. If we could add a Villa man to the board with some significant football knowledge such as Graham Taylor, Brian Little or John Gregory for example along with a few players in the next transfer window we could have a less dim future to look forward to.  

• Like 1

Good appointment, i can see him contributing to bringing back the old values that we once had as a football club with a modern approach.

I like the fact that this appointment has been made now because once the season finishes there will big decisions will be made, and now we are finally formulating an hierarchy upstairs to make those decisions.

This could result into a restructure of the football club in addition to some sackings, i.e Paddy Reilly ect.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's a lifelong Villa fan, so he has that.

I'm not sure who we could bring in who would satisfy that. Somebody like Ian Taylor for example, how much does he understand the modern game from the inside. More than Tom Fox, who spent years at a top, top club, for example? That has hardly been a resounding success.

In King we have a man who has operated at the very highest level of business, with connections, one can deduce, extending beyond 99.9% of the population of planet earth. He also happens to be a fan, somebody we can trust to have the best intentions of the club at heart.

Will it change a thing? Hard to know. But it's better than a kick in the bollocks.

DDID.... with all due respect, you and I are fans.  And just between you and me, some of these other fans on here are clueless about the game.  I remain concerned that our board is being built with people with strong expertise in the financial services industries, but not people with expertise in winning football matches.  I'm not convinced it's the same skill set. 

• Like 1

Good appointment. ... all the cynics here seem to have forgotten that the board under Sir William Dugdale guided us too the greatest period in our history, it was Deadly who destroyed that. 

If Merv brings that kind of experience, stability and success to our board -  I don't care how guilt edged he is, the haters need to get off the club's back.... and get behind it.

Edited by DeHavilland

Â