The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Rugeley Villa

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Prompted by @sidcow I had a look to see what songs Coldplay have covered. There is so much to hate here it's difficult knowing where to start. 

That is without a doubt, the true definition of ugly for this thread.

I don’t like you for posting it, I hate myself for actually watching the video.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

I got a bit too obsessed with the Phin at one point and started buying Phin music and clearly I wasn’t on my own because 6 months later there was a CD called Kuhn Nairn Electric Phin and i was all over that for a while.

This might have just tipped me back in to the rabbit hole, thanks.

When I’m on my own, this sometimes gets the full 2 hour play…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I bet it's worth a few quid! import I guess?

It wasn't that expensive as I recall but it was brand new, It's been repressed a good number of times now, I'm fairly sure mines from 2017ish but its been repressed again since then, last year

50 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Is it as hissy and lo fi as the CD? It must be.

It must be close to unlistenable on vinyl.

Definitely lo-fi but I don't remember it being hissy, I'll bung it on tonight to check

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Weirdly, I’ve seen her perform twice now, but I’ve never seen her busk.

They were both actual real gigs, indoors. One with a support band.

I think she started off as a busker, then packed it in, then someone found a video of her busking and offered a record deal years later and she went on tour and all kinds. SHe was a kind of cult act for a bit about I dunno 9 years or so ago, which is where I heard of her, but I think she'd been a busker years before that in California or somewhere.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wot, the gamelin version above??? 

No, I think it was a version from the 60s or something - vaguely Johnny Cash like. Dunno who the artist actually was for the version they played. If someone knows who it was, and posts it, I'll no doubt kick myself. 

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, I think it was a version from the 60s or something - vaguely Johnny Cash like. Dunno who the artist actually was for the version they played. If someone knows who it was, and posts it, I'll no doubt kick myself. 

There are scores, if not hundreds of versions (including Cash). My money is on either him, Frankie Laine or Marty Robbins. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

... gamelan...

Gamelan are percussion, generally metal with a bell like sound.

The lead is a dan bau, the ladies on the left are playing the dan tranh. Vietnamese instruments. I didn't know what they were called, tbh.

Thinking back, I've seen a hippy make a vast one out of scrap.

It was vertical rather than horizontal. The string was a cable attached to a spring which in turn was attached to a footpedal.

Big pickup on it. Mad sounding thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â