The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Rugeley Villa

• 3 weeks later...

Funny enough I was looking for this thread some weeks ago, but failed because I expected it to have a title with 'cover' in it.

I think covers are very revealing about a song and it is always a pleasant surprise to see how a cover can completely change first impressions.

Too often a good song can be buried in layers of over-production, which is only revealed by a stripped-down amateur cover.

I was so distracted by the macho posturing, that I never realised Wonderwall was a love song, until I heard a cover.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually think a decent cover has to offer something different, all Galaxy 500 did was slow it down a little and slightly change the phrasing of the chorus but it's enough I still like this almost as much as the Joy Division / New Order original. You can actually make out the lyrics better on this version too

• Like 1

On 04/03/2022 at 18:25, bickster said:

I usually think a decent cover has to offer something different, all Galaxy 500 did was slow it down a little and slightly change the phrasing of the chorus but it's enough I still like this almost as much as the Joy Division / New Order original. You can actually make out the lyrics better on this version too

There’s a lot happening with that. For the first part it’s annoyingly too slow compared to the ingrained copy in my head. Then, the slowed down riffing in the middle part brings out stuff from other songs. I mean there’s a loose tooth song called “keep on” which kind of has, I guess, a bit of inspiration from the original joy division/ new order version, and then that “keep on” song was covered itself, and that cover has the slowed down chord similarity/echo to the galaxie 500 version, to my ears at least.

so here’s the loose tooth version

and here’s the cover

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â