• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Kill A Mocking Bird author, Harper Lee. :( 

From BBC

Harper Lee: US author of To Kill a Mockingbird dies aged 89
6 minutes ago
 From the section US & Canada
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media captionHarper Lee wrote her iconic novel To Kill A Mockingbird in 1960
Harper Lee, the reclusive author of To Kill a Mockingbird, has died at the age of 89.
The news was first confirmed by the mayor's office in her hometown of Monroeville, Alabama.
The novelist was born Nelle Harper Lee on 28 April 1926.
In 1960, she published To Kill a Mockingbird, a huge critical and commercial success which won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. A sequel Go Set a Watchman, was published in 2015.
To Kill a Mockingbird sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.
Obituary: Harper Lee
Live: Tributes paid to Harper Lee
Why is To Kill a Mockingbird so popular?
Lee was born 1926 in Monroeville, Alabama. She was the youngest of four children of lawyer Amasa Coleman Lee and Frances Cunningham Finch Lee.
She was a guardedly private person, respected and protected by residents of her town, rarely giving interviews.
Lee's literary agent Andrew Nurnberg said: "Knowing Nelle these past few years has been not just an utter delight but an extraordinary privilege.
"When I saw her just six weeks ago, she was full of life, her mind and mischievous wit as sharp as ever. She was quoting Thomas More and setting me straight on Tudor history. We have lost a great writer, a great friend and a beacon of integrity."
Spencer Madrie, owner of Ol' Curiosities and Book Shoppe, a small, independent book store in Lee's hometown that focuses largely on Lee's works, said: "The world has lost a brilliant mind and a great writer."
Harper Lee with George BushImage copyrightReuters
Image caption
Harper Lee made a rare public appearance in 2007 to accept the Presidential Medal of Freedom from George Bush
"We will remember Harper Lee for her candour, her talent, and the truths she gave the world, perhaps before the world was ready. We are grateful to have had a connection to an author who offered so much.
"There will always be something missing from Monroeville and the world at large in the absence of Harper Lee."
James Naughtie, BBC Books Editor, on the novels of Harper Lee:
To Kill A Mockingbird is told through the eyes and in the words of Scout, the child of Atticus Finch, and therefore it's a book that's very accessible to kids, and that's why school children have been reading it all these years.
I think she stands, particularly among American readers, as someone who shone a light into a very dark place. She was writing at a time when people were beginning to lift the lid on everything that had been going on in the South which they'd chosen not to understand. That all changed in the 1960s. So I think her status for writing that book in its extraordinarily direct way will remain.
There's no question that Go Set A Watchman didn't read terribly well, Atticus Finch comes out as a rather less likeable figure than he is in To Kill A Mockingbird. But she remains an extraordinary figure.
She wrote one extremely powerful, accessible and successful book, that will be revered by people for a very long time.
Michael Morrison, the head of HarperCollins US said in a statement: "The world knows Harper Lee was a brilliant writer, but what many don't know is that she was an extraordinary woman of great joyfulness, humility and kindness.
"She lived her life the way she wanted to - in private - surrounded by books and the people who loved her. I will always cherish the time I spent with her."
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media captionHarper Lee's friend Joy Brown speaks to the BBC's Will Gompertz
Tom Weldon, CEO of Penguin Random House - which published Lee's novels in the UK - said: "We are honoured to have been Harper Lee's publisher and so saddened to hear of her passing. She was an extraordinary writer and readers around the world will always be thankful for her legacy."
The author Malorie Blackman posted "Harper Lee R.I.P." on her Twitter account.
Erica Wagner, former literary editor of The Times said: "Harper Lee changed how much of America - and the world - saw the South.
"Few writers are privileged to create characters which truly seem to leap off the page and live: Lee will always be remembered as one of those."
Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted: "Rest in peace, Harper Lee. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

RIP. TKAM was one of the books that lead to reading being such a passion for me.

Lee's literary agent Andrew Nurnberg said: "Knowing Nelle these past few years has been not just an utter delight but an extraordinary privilege.
"When I saw her just six weeks ago, she was full of life, her mind and mischievous wit as sharp as ever. She was quoting Thomas More and setting me straight on Tudor history. We have lost a great writer, a great friend and a beacon of integrity."

More than can be said for this slimy **** prick.

There's a reason that "Go Set a Watchman" wasn't published until after the death of Harper Lee's sister. Her mind and mischievous wit wasn't as sharp as ever, this scumbag  and the rocket polishers at Harper Collins helped take advantage of an elderly woman who wasn't in her right mind.

I guess that not many here will have heard of this man but David Duffield has passed away. Anyone who has watched cycling on Eurosport, probably more in the 90's and 00's will have heard his commentary. He was considered by some to be, shall I say 'eccentric' but he was passionate about cycling and pretty well informed. He also came from the Birmingham area and was a member of a big Birmingham cycling club called the Beacon Road Club . He was a former racing cyclist which is more than can be said of the current commentators on Eurosport - with the obvious exception of Sean Kelly. Think he lived in Bromsgrove.

• Like 1

Thanks to IMDB:

Father Ted Crilly: Now Jack, today we're going to have a few elocution lessons. 
Father Jack Hackett: [tossing an empty bottle aside] DRINK! 
Father Ted Crilly: Now, you can't be saying that all the time when the bishops are here. 
Father Jack Hackett: FECK! 
Father Ted Crilly: No, not that one either. 
Father Jack Hackett: GIRLS! 
Father Ted Crilly: Let's go back to "drink" for the time being. 
Father Jack Hackett: DRINK! 
Father Ted Crilly: Now, try to read the first word. 
[Ted indicates a blackboard, which reads "That would be an ecumenical matter" and "Yes"] 
Father Ted Crilly: No... That. 
Father Ted Crilly: THAT! 
Father Ted Crilly: Come on now, Father... if you do it, there'll be a little drink in it for you. 
Father Jack Hackett: Drink?... Th... th... thaa... thaa... DRINK! 
Father Ted Crilly: Nearly, Father! You almost had it. Try again! 
Father Jack Hackett: Th... th... thAT! THAT! 
Father Ted Crilly: Yes! Now, come on, Father, let's keep it going! Would! 
Father Jack Hackett: wo... wo... wo... DRINK!

RIP Frank

Edited by trekka