Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

7 hours ago, KSV said:

He's a little better than Guzan. Thought the whole point was to make the squad smaller. Bunn and Steer are more than capable back ups in the championship. No need to waste wages and squad space on him. Just crazy. 

Bunn is probably the worst keeper I've seen and hopefully will leave.  I'd be happy with Steer as back up but maybe after a year as first choice at Huddersfield he wants to move on.  If we are signing Panitillimon for £2m then perhaps it means we are looking to bring in more players than we thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We aren't doing enough to secure the better young talent from Championship and League One. I really think players like Rico Henry, Che Adams and Zach Clough ought to be on our radar.

But.. Rico Henry is on our radar...

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

You spend all that time writing your list of new names, then come up with a midfield four of Joe Bennett, Liam Bridcutt, Geoff Thomas and Leandro Bacuna?

May god have mercy on us all.

And just where did I mention Geoff Thomas?

Or do you mean George Thorne?

I've tried to give choices of players who we stand a realistic chance of getting in. Player choices who I think would blend together and we'd have two fighting for each position, based on the manager's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

If you would bother reading the post properly, you would see that at no time did I suggest both Bridcutt and Thorne being bought. The words 'either' and 'or' should really be giving you the clue.

I don't mind, in fact, I look forward to and enjoy the debate criticism can bring, as long as it is constructive criticism that comes with realistic, viable alternatives.

So Don_Simon, lets hear your thoughts on who you would let go and who you would bring in.. 

56 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We aren't doing enough to secure the better young talent from Championship and League One. I really think players like Rico Henry, Che Adams and Zach Clough ought to be on our radar.

SHA had a 2m bid turned down for Adams the other day. 2-3m would secure these players I think.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A steal for £3m, has lots of pace, power and an eye for a goal.

He's got a good reputation for those two goals v Spurs a while ago but he's a lot more inconsistent on a weekly basis in league one, looking at the Sheffield forum confirms this.

Not saying he won't be a good player in near future but would be looking for a more proven championship striker like Bamford.

Zach Clough is excellent though, played well in a car crash Bolton team. Very surprised he's still there given their financial troubles.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's got a good reputation for those two goals v Spurs a while ago but he's a lot more inconsistent on a weekly basis in league one, looking at the Sheffield forum confirms this.

Not saying he won't be a good player in near future but would be looking for a more proven championship striker like Bamford.

Zach Clough is excellent though, played well in a car crash Bolton team. Very surprised he's still there given their financial troubles.

Adams isn't really a striker though more of an attacking midfielder. If £3m is all it will take then we absolutely should sign him, not saying he should be a starter but would be a very good squad player. Plus he has only just turned 20 so lots of time on his side. 

Clough definitely needs to be signed as well. I don't see this as a trade off, no reason why we can't sign someone like Bamford and Che Adams/ Zac Clough. Shouldn't be an issue give our 'apparent' funds for this season.

@1958Villan Fair enough if that's your opinion, and I think it's realistic in the sense that those players you mentioned would fight tooth and nail to play for this great club, I just think some people question some of your choices for one reason or another.

For me personally, I question these players because Tony has claimed we're aiming to buy players not just to get us out of the Championship, but with PL potential too. I'm not sure the players you mentioned have that but I'm no scout so I'll leave that up to our scouting network. If I had to choose though, I'd err on the side that says most of who you suggested do not have that potential, but time will tell I suppose.

I do, however, strongly question the wisdom of playing a fullback in midfield and Bacuna anywhere. He shouldn't even be on the bench for me.

I like your choices for RB but don't agree they're realistic as they could doubtless play for another PL team or elsewhere in a top league in another country. Likewise I don't think it's realistic that we'll ship out four CBs (or even if such wholesale changes are wise) and I don't see Sané or Chester coming here, nor Wilson either but perhaps he might with enough cash thrown at him. I also don't want our CB pairing to be a player who's been here five minutes in Elphick and a young loanee thrust into a very physical league like the Championship.

I doubt we'll move all three of Westwood, Sanchez and Veretout, but Bridcutt and Thorne would be decent shouts.

However, the thought of Hoilett being Bacuna's competition makes me feel ill and whereas Green has looked promising in pre-season, having an inexperienced youth player back up a left back playing left wing is uninspiring and I think we'd be very weak in the wide areas like we are already. These are key positions for me to be filled with a bit of quality. I can't honestly think of specific individuals, but there has to be better options. An actual left winger with some experience of the league must exist.

Hoolahan is a fine shout and might come with the right incentive, Grealish is a no-brainer and has to be involved. Doubt we'll shift three forwards but hopefully two of them and I'd like us to show real ambition by spending big bucks on a quality striker, someone more exciting than those you've suggested. Again, these players exist but I'm no scout.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

I guess your not a football fan in the broader sense then VILLAMARV, more a Villa supporter.

For right back I can come up with three names, of players we could get who would be comfortable playing wingback. DeLaet of Leicester. Gunter of Reading and Yedlin of Spurs. I'd move Bacuna to right midfield and Bennet to left midfield.

At centre back, I'd get rid of Lescott, Richards, Clark and Okore. I'd bring in either Paddy McNair of Man U or, Tomas Kalas of Chelsea on loan. I'd buy Lamine Sane of Bordeaux or, James Chester of WBA or, Marc Wilson of Stoke.

I'd move Westwood, Sanchez and Veretout on and get either Bridcutt of Sunderland, who is excellent in the Championship or, George Thorne of Derby, who I think is still injured, as holding/defensive midfielders. 

I'd get Junior Hoilet, who is unattached to be Bacuna's competition on the right of midfield and Andre Green could be Bennetts on the left.

As the middle man to teach Grealish I'd try for Wes Hoolahan from Norwich.

That leaves forwards. I'd get rid of Agbonlahor, Kozak and Gestede and get two of Chris Martin of Derby or, Scott Hogan of Brentford or, Lee Gregory of Millwall. 

Martin o'neill type of boring signings. Gregory and hogan are nowhere near good enough for strikers.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I agree they should be players of interest but for all we know they might be players of interest.

32 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Alan Nixon thinks we're in for Kodjia for £10m but Bristol City want £13m. 

Just pay it and get him in!

Pressing like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like.....get it done!

50 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Alan Nixon thinks we're in for Kodjia for £10m but Bristol City want £13m. 

Just pay it and get him in!

If we really are in for him, I think we will get him, I would be very happy with this signing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1958Villan said:

And just where did I mention Geoff Thomas?

Or do you mean George Thorne?

I've tried to give choices of players who we stand a realistic chance of getting in. Player choices who I think would blend together and we'd have two fighting for each position, based on the manager's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

If you would bother reading the post properly, you would see that at no time did I suggest both Bridcutt and Thorne being bought. The words 'either' and 'or' should really be giving you the clue.

I don't mind, in fact, I look forward to and enjoy the debate criticism can bring, as long as it is constructive criticism that comes with realistic, viable alternatives.

So Don_Simon, lets hear your thoughts on who you would let go and who you would bring in.. 

In all fairness I would prefer Geoff Thomas to any of the names on that list.

34 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I've read that Newcastle have had a £6m bid turned down for Knockaert. That is someone who I'd like us to be in for. 

Yes, very good player who can score goals and create chances, very good technically, would be an upgrade on someone like Veretout.