Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

8 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Wow,  it's only just dawned on me we're in the Championship. 

I think it's quite humbling.

The past few years treading water have been thoroughly miserable. I would much rather we have a solid plan to return to the Prem and be fighting for Europe again. Part of that plan is trusting the people running the club to make wise choices.

So far we have been getting the house in order at a governance and management level, the operational point will be pulled into order once their ability has been assessed, which is now happening. We will have a solid squad come the close of the window, maybe not what we want as fans but a viable squad. 

37 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I think it's quite humbling.

The past few years treading water have been thoroughly miserable. I would much rather we have a solid plan to return to the Prem and be fighting for Europe again. Part of that plan is trusting the people running the club to make wise choices.

So far we have been getting the house in order at a governance and management level, the operational point will be pulled into order once their ability has been assessed, which is now happening. We will have a solid squad come the close of the window, maybe not what we want as fans but a viable squad. 

IMO part of that plan isn't signing 25-30 year old championship level players on 4 year contracts who sure will get us out of this league but then not be good enough to make that step up when we do leaving us with more players on the books that we can't shift

not saying Ross McCormack is that player but he's what 29? Will score goals and get us promoted...then what do we do with him? Been a goal scorer for a long time and no prem team has gambled on him, might not be good enough to make that step, we could be stuck with him

its a minefield, not as simple as saying lets go buy 6 players for £50m and get out of this league, that would be like we've learnt nothing 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not saying Ross McCormack is that player but he's what 29? Will score goals and get us promoted...then what do we do with him? 

If we are promoted sell him for a loss or free transfer of let him be a squad player for 3 years. . The money in the PL is so obscene now Ross McCormack wouldn't even cause a ripple. . It's not like having Charlie boy on £80k a week or whatever we did when he signed. 

The only worry is if we DON'T get promoted. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

IMO part of that plan isn't signing 25-30 year old championship level players on 4 year contracts who sure will get us out of this league but then not be good enough to make that step up when we do leaving us with more players on the books that we can't shift

not saying Ross McCormack is that player but he's what 29? Will score goals and get us promoted...then what do we do with him? Been a goal scorer for a long time and no prem team has gambled on him, might not be good enough to make that step, we could be stuck with him

its a minefield, not as simple as saying lets go buy 6 players for £50m and get out of this league, that would be like we've learnt nothing 

Agreed. Don't think McCormack is the answer, I hope we build for longer term. 

Surely someone will take a punt on Richards before the window shuts. Guzan, Gana and Sinclair all look like they have one foot out the door already, Veretout and Sanchez seem to have a few suitors if nothing else. But Gabby and Lescott? Im left wondering who in their right minds would want either of them.

2 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Wow,  it's only just dawned on me we're in the Championship. 

did my fantasy premier league team and was confused then sad when couldnt find Villa under team I supported 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I agree with you. However I think it's worth getting promoted and then worrying about it. If we don't go up this season then the likes of Ayew, Amavi, Traore etc will all be gone and we'll be an even harder sell to new players. Then we will be stuck down there in the shit.

• Like 2

Just had a great idea... surely someone will have a go at putting Gabby & Balotelli together, mega PR and something something. Maybe Hull/Palace???

:rolleyes:

Edited by villakram

21 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I agree with you. However I think it's worth getting promoted and then worrying about it. If we don't go up this season then the likes of Ayew, Amavi, Traore etc will all be gone and we'll be an even harder sell to new players. Then we will be stuck down there in the shit.

This is the problem we have not getting promoted first up. Quite a few of our better players like Okore Grealish Traore Amavi Ayew etc.. if they all stay.. it will be a one off to see if we can come up. Otherwise we will lose them. We dont have patience to 'build'. We need a quick fix to get into the Premier League but at the same time if we can buy a younger version of McCormack.. then do it. Kodjia? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sne said:

Mourinho has (according to reports...) told (Bastian Schweinsteiger)  Adnan Januzaj, Tim Fosu-Mensah, Paddy McNair, Tyler Blackett, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Andreas Pereira, Will Keane and James Wilson o find new clubs. Either permanent or on loan.

Anyone worth scavenging? 

Everyone bar Blackett who is just total trash and Will Keane who is talented and has an eye for goal but at this point he needs to be playing regularly for his own good and he just likely wouldn't get at you guys. McNair is alright, if you could get him on a permanent he has the potential to be a solid Premier League player but I wouldn't really bother loaning him if I were you, unless with a view to sign. The rest are top young players with the ability to be stars in the Championship.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Fosu-Mensah was excellent end of last season for them. Right back isn't he...an athletic forward thinking option there would give our defence a very decent look.

Much more of a CB or CM, still unsure of where I prefer him. Personally want him to play CM but that is more because we also have WIlliams, Axel Tuanzebe, Poole, and Tyrell Warren who are also very talented CBs, especially Williams and Axel. He is a physical beast, can get caught out of position a bit, especially at RB as he is inexperienced there but his strength and pace often makes up for it. He can look a bit reckless and aggressive in his tackling but that is just his style he is actually a very good and successful tackler. Quite good on the ball and great at driving the ball through the middle. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

What is a 'fat man's carehome'?

Am I missing out on something I'm entitled to?

Sorry, it's just a purpose-built home for Gabby, stretching 10000 miles long and wide to contain all of his flab.

It still doesn't fit...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tommybread said:

Everyone bar Blackett who is just total trash and Will Keane who is talented and has an eye for goal but at this point he needs to be playing regularly for his own good and he just likely wouldn't get at you guys. McNair is alright, if you could get him on a permanent he has the potential to be a solid Premier League player but I wouldn't really bother loaning him if I were you, unless with a view to sign. The rest are top young players with the ability to be stars in the Championship.

Much more of a CB or CM, still unsure of where I prefer him. Personally want him to play CM but that is more because we also have WIlliams, Axel Tuanzebe, Poole, and Tyrell Warren who are also very talented CBs, especially Williams and Axel. He is a physical beast, can get caught out of position a bit, especially at RB as he is inexperienced there but his strength and pace often makes up for it. He can look a bit reckless and aggressive in his tackling but that is just his style he is actually a very good and successful tackler. Quite good on the ball and great at driving the ball through the middle. 

Thanks for this tommybread. One quick question, if you wouldn't mind: are you disappointed Mourinho is letting all of these players go? Basically the only thing I thought LVG did right was trusting in youngsters. A lot of these players got minutes last season. 

I've not been keeping in touch with things this summer so not sure if this is old news but heard from a reliable source this morning that Ricki Lambert and Patrick Bamford are lined up, plus an unnamed creative midfielder? Also said Guzan, Gana, Ayew and Sinclair all left/leaving. Just passing it on for what its worth