Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

No. It definitely wasn't as good as a loss. Not at all. I'm not convinced we can stay up but if we do then that equaliser could very well be the catalyst. 

On another note, our fans were great today and made a lot of noise. Big respect to the Geordies too, drank with them all day and they gave us nothing but the upmost respect. Cracking away day.

UTV

Obviously I understand one point is better than zero points, but we needed to win, not only would that have given us two extra points, but also denied Newcastle a point. We are so many points behind now, and other teams are picking up so many points, that drawing matches is leaving us in relative decline.

Our players (Ayew) did well to drag us back into a position where we could possibly win it, and given our hopeless situation I feel the gamble of putting one attacking player on with ten minutes to go would have been worth it. None of us know what the outcome of the sub would have been - it could have resulted in a gut-wrenching loss or a goal that catalysed our charge to safety.

Respect to you for making the trip up there in such atrocious conditions. 

• Like 1

The team was set up for a draw and it got it. Like the Southampton game, a couple of absolutely terrible misses are the main reason we left with 1 point. 

Not the approach I'd hoped to see from Garde but he 100% deserves a lot more time to try and change things. 

I just don't see us winning a game until we start to be more positive. And while the squad he has are clearly not good enough for the league, he could still show a positive approach to the game.

We didn't lose, but with a 10 point gap to safety there's really little to be so pleased about with this performance and result. 

• Like 1

I just read this in the during match thread :-

5 hours ago, Neil said:

Draw is better than a loss and we need to stop the rot somewhere

We're not losing.

And all I want to reply is "I know...."

Baffled

First of all, I thought jordan ayew was outstanding. Really carried us.

And when gestede came on, at least he put himself about a bit.

However, despite the clear improvement in the 2nd half, it's just the same old too little too late. To put in a first half performance like that which resembled subbuteo players in a graveyard is nothing short of discusting. Just so bad. Meek, no desire or determination and certainly very little skill.

I just can't congratulate the team on the 2nd half improvement - the 1st was THAT bad.

The overall feeling I took from the game (including the 2nd half) was one of severe boredom.

Until we start playing with the mentality of "we're here to win" (not just talk about it on the OS) and actually turn up for 90+ minutes, we'll just continue to draw and lose. 

Yesterday was pretty much like every other game we've played in this season: The team is setup for a draw, play really crap for an entire half, play decent for 15/20 minutes, concede soft goal(s), opposition misses sitters, we shoot from light years out. 

I see other teams battling it out from start to finish, playing with no fear, going at teams, winning back to back games. I've seen none of that from us so far this season. The worst part is, those players in those teams are about the same quality as ours, maybe worse.

The Wet Spam game will be no different, unless the other eight outfield players (who play) dramatically up their game, can you see that happening? I'm not going to lie, I can't.

• Like 1

Speaking generally......Until I see most of our team winning their individual physical battles, I can't commit to saying we are playing better.....I simply don't see that.

We all want to talk things up, its the thing to do.

I have to be honest with myself.

Ps The only player that I see that looks confident of beating a man is Ayew......so many of our players come second on one on one's

• Like 4

12 hours ago, dounavilla said:

If we play like we did in the second half I'd say we may stand a chance in getting promoted next season.

Do you not notice that we only play like that when we're losing? The day we kick off playing with that desire and aggression is the day I will give Garde a modicum of 'credit' for what he is 'doing' here. 

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Do you not notice that we only play like that when we're losing? The day we kick off playing with that desire and aggression is the day I will give Garde a modicum of 'credit' for what he is 'doing' here. 

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't be so hard on him yet.Chelsea have proved you can have the best manager in the world, but if a number of them don't want to listen to him and carry out the instructions, you are stuffed.

Where i share your point is, there are area's I want to see improvement and until it changes, I don't see much progression.

But I think he is addressing the issues like Gabby, Grealish and N'Zogbia......He is also encouraging good attitude like Lyden.....These things take much time.

Hopefully he brings some new signings in,in Jan with " good attitude"

On 20/12/2015 at 00:32, DCJonah said:

The team was set up for a draw and it got it. Like the Southampton game, a couple of absolutely terrible misses are the main reason we left with 1 point. 

Not the approach I'd hoped to see from Garde but he 100% deserves a lot more time to try and change things. 

I just don't see us winning a game until we start to be more positive. And while the squad he has are clearly not good enough for the league, he could still show a positive approach to the game.

We didn't lose, but with a 10 point gap to safety there's really little to be so pleased about with this performance and result. 

I think this is really harsh. First half there was nothing in it, second half we were much the better team - although Newcastle did have chances.

I think he will play a diamond in the next couple of games with Gestede and Ayew up front, and I think we will get at least 2 wins in the next 3 games.

This was a big point for us.

First half they scored and mitrovic missed a great chance. I don't think we crested one decent chance. 

Second half they still had the much better chances and a truly unbelievable miss, is the only reason the games wasn't dead and buried. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

First half they scored and mitrovic missed a great chance. I don't think we crested one decent chance. 

Second half they still had the much better chances and a truly unbelievable miss, is the only reason the games wasn't dead and buried. 

De Jong's was a shocking miss, BUT, the flag should have gone up just before as when the move started the guy in the middle was way offside.