The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

So why does sherwood deserve abuse?

With the benefit of hindsight I think even Sherwood is not as bad a manager as he appeared. I don't think he's anywhere near a decent one though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Unfortunately he's a poor manager. Appears to have no motivation skills and his tactics are also poor, far too conservative and no ambition. Today was his McLeish moment, 5 defenders and defensively minded players in midfield. 

He really will not be much of a loss.

Agree. He's obviously not got it easy, to put it mildly, but this shouldn't be a complete blanket excuse for the piss poor job he's doing. Some league 1 sides look more organised, dangerous and at least have a clear game plan.

9 minutes ago, bose said:

With the benefit of hindsight I think even Sherwood is not as bad a manager as he appeared. I don't think he's anywhere near a decent one though. 

But the fact that we need hindsight to see that shows football fans focus on the failings of the wrong people. Until we get 11 non arsehole players who actually try, just for 90 minutes a week (it really isnt a lot nor is it something that should need motivation from others) then I refuse to blame anyone or anything else.

We're not bottom of the league because of Lerner, Fox etc. We're not bottom of the league because of managers like tim and remi. We're bottom of the league because the players don't try hard enough and the only thing that is more unforgiveable than that is that the footballing world let's them get away with it, time and time and time again. 

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

But the fact that we need hindsight to see that shows football fans focus on the failings of the wrong people. Until we get 11 non arsehole players who actually try, just for 90 minutes a week (it really isnt a lot nor is it something that should need motivation from others) then I refuse to blame anyone or anything else.

We're not bottom of the league because of Lerner, Fox etc. We're not bottom of the league because of managers like tim and remi. We're bottom of the league because the players don't try hard enough and the only thing that is more unforgiveable than that is that the footballing world let's them get away with it, time and time and time again. 

But it can't be a coincidence that we somehow constantly have 11 poor players who don't give a shit and are dreadful? Then a player like Albrighton goes to a team like Leicester and is a key player in a title challenging side? Lerner isn't the only problem but he's the one that has hired people like Fox, Almstadt, Reilly and that new chairman or whatever he is and is the source of our troubles. The players shouldn't be excused at all but they are not the root of our problems they are just a symptom IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Still defending this piece of shit?

Not at all....just think the players are shite.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Until we get 11 non arsehole players who actually try, just for 90 minutes a week (it really isnt a lot nor is it something that should need motivation from others) then I refuse to blame anyone or anything else.

We seem to have been saying this for years, its clear that the culture at the club is terrible. I understand that it's not practical to simply get rid of everyone (though it would be nice) but a large portion of this squad need to be shown the door in order for that culture to change. 

I've said this many times in this thread, but this is probably the one reason I hope Remi sticks around. From the little bits he has given away in interviews I think he realises a massive overhaul is needed and would probably like to bin everyone of them if he had the backing. 

I don't know why but I think the board hired him for the long term so he won't be sacked, if he leaves it will be of his own choosing subject the extent of the backing the board are prepared to give him. They stitched him up in January however, so sadly I can't see him getting the assurances he will be looking for. 

27 minutes ago, bose said:

it's not to say Sherwood was right for us.....but the distinctions that are drawn with Garde are ridiculous.

They both had their hands tied.....and both had/have unenviable tasks.

This job is for a well experienced hard nosed manager who is well versed with the English league.

a modern day....Graham Taylor.

38 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

So why does sherwood deserve abuse?

i never said he did, so perhaps ask the ones dishing it out?

but id guess people feel tim had an opportunity to sign his own players and had a whole pre-season to get it right. garde inherited a shambles and werent allowed to sign a single player.

Edited by tomaspg
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I was kinda waiting for that penny to drop......well said.

Edited by TRO

Got this one horribly wrong.

• Dropped Okore for Richards
  • Left the ineffective Bacuna in midfield
  • 5 at the back at home (which, incidentally, gave us some width for crosses. Shame we had Agbonlahor as the target, then.)

I know he's searching for something different - but 5 in defense at home with 2 defensive midfielders for a game we absolutely positively had to win? Baffling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomaspg said:

but id guess people feel tim had an opportunity to sign his own players and had a whole pre-season to get it right. garde inherited a shambles and werent allowed to sign a single player.

But by the time Remi got them.....they had more game time acclimatising to the Prem.

so there are many swings and roundabouts.

I just don't think it's as clear cut as some allude to.

Some of the abuse in this thread is pretty poor stuff.

That being said, I hate 5-3-2 and I can't think of any good reason for it. It more or less guarantees that you lose the game the minute the opposition score. I know he's choosing between different varieties of crud, but that formation is garbage. 

• Like 1

Have to say that changing your managers regularly is usually a recipe for disaster but I am now starting to doubt that Garde is the right man to significantly change the culture of the team etc.  There were glimpses after Christmas (especially after Wycombe) that he may have finally got his philosophy and ideas across but we generally look as clueless now as we did last year.  Can fully understand if Okore cannot play three games in a week but why then revert to three at the back? Midfield huff and puff but create nothing and we have a forward line that is just toothless!  I just don't see how we are trying to play?  Also, I hadn't realised until a bloke behind me said tonight that we had finally got our first corner in three games!!  

Now i'm sure Garde knows most of the players are simply not good enough but surely we should now see improvements across the pitch and a pattern of play to take us forward next season?  We have to question the training methods and are the players simply not getting the approach suggested or do they not want to hear it from Garde?  Sorry for the rant here guys but I am just fed up of coming away from a game so annoyed at our short comings.  Most weeks, including tonight I feel the opposition arn't even that great either but they simply find a way of scoring two/three goals against us.  I have fully accepted that we are going down but now worry that Garde is not the man to bring us back! 

34 minutes ago, tomaspg said:

Except Timmy didn't sign his own players he signed paddy and almstad's players I'm sure if he'd of got what he wanted Tim would of done a better job... IMO

Edited by Uppernorthstander
  • Like 1

Â