The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I genuinely believe that all of the following players could leave us and become good players in the Premier League, as part of a different team that plays as a team:

Ayew, Gil, Amavi, Richards, Gana, Traore, Lescott, Cissokho, Bacuna, Guzan, Bunn & . Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Our issue is that, too often, we don't play 'as a team', and that has a number of contributing factors - too many new players, too many foreign players, too many old/uninterested players, changes in management and playing style etc

If you were to throw Gana into the current West Ham side, for example, he could be quality for them.

You could throw Gil into the current Stoke side, and he'd be good for them.

You could throw Amavi or Ayew into half the teams in the league, and they would show their true worth.

Just because we're bottom of the league, doesn't mean all of our players are 'bottom of the league' players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I genuinely believe that all of the following players could leave us and become good players in the Premier League, as part of a different team that plays as a team:

Ayew, Gil, Amavi, Richards, Gana, Traore, Lescott, Cissokho, Bacuna, Guzan, Bunn & . Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Our issue is that, too often, we don't play 'as a team', and that has a number of contributing factors - too many new players, too many foreign players, too many old/uninterested players, changes in management and playing style etc

If you were to throw Gana into the current West Ham side, for example, he could be quality for them.

You could throw Amavi or Ayew into half the teams in the league, and they would show their true worth.

Just because we're bottom of the league, doesn't mean all of our players are 'bottom of the league' players.

Most players benefit from being put in a better team.

Can't see more than 4 or 5 that would get in a PL-team not involved in the relegation battle

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Absolutely spot on.

It think it's wrong to say that none of our current players wouldn't get into any PL 11's, which is the implication that is being made here.

Just now, AndyGray1985 said:

Most players benefit from being put in a better team.

Can't see more than 4 or 5 that would get in a PL-team not involved in the relegation battle

Decent logic this.

So they'd get into mid table teams because they have better players but not teams in a relegation battle?

got you :detect:

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Haha. On what basis. I thought I was presenting facts?

Well you just seemed to point out that some of them had been injured as the only plausible excuse for them being shite when on the field.

Take amavi for example. Sure there were one or two games where he looked good. He's now injured. People seem to forget that there was some games where he was awful. So awful that quite a few ppl after the chelsea game Said that sherwood was right to bring richardson in.

20 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

No I'm not being drawn into a different argument

You agreed that Ayew was our best player but stated that he wasn't good enough for the premier league

By implication this means that you believe that none of our players are good enough for the premier league

I think we have a dozen players or more who would be good enough to feature in the line-ups of most mid and lower half teams

No I said Ayew is our best player but on the whole hasn't played well enough at premier league level this season. The implication is that none of our new players have done this, hence our position. They may well be good enough in the future but this season has shown they are not at the required level right now to perform on a consistent basis. 

Like I said, who has performed at a decent premier league level on a consistent basis for us this season?

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Decent logic this.

So they'd get into mid table teams because they have better players but not teams in a relegation battle?

got you :detect:

This was what I was replying to: 

"I genuinely believe that all of the following players could leave us and become good players in the Premier League, as part of a different team that plays as a team" Which is saying they would do better in a better team. Which is hardly surprising.

In a team like Sunderland I doubt any of the mentioned players would make much of an impact, as they are as disorganised as Villa, and none og these players are leaders.

I can see 4, maybe 5 players that could play a role in "a team that plays like a team" to use your phrase.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I like Ayew but since the start of the season, his very good games have been in the minority. I think he will continue to get better and become a better player but for this season on the whole he's not been good enough. Same with all our players. Veretout and gana have had moments but have also looked well off the pace. Amavi for all his good work going forward still looked weak at times in defence. 

I think these players have the potential to be good solid premier league players but they're not at that standard yet and have shown it this season.

Our new players haven't been up to scratch and our existing players continue to decline. It's that mix that sees us as the worst team in the league. 

You're taking a very simplistic view. The real situation is much more complicated.

You initially argued that Ayew "was not premier league standard".  By implication that means that he is not good enough to play regualrly for a team in the premier league. Let's ignore Newcastle and Sunderland as they are in the other relegation spots and concentrate on others.  Your arguments is that Ayew is not good enough to play for Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea, WBA, Palace, Watford.  Really? You really think that at the moment Ayew is Championship level at best.

To extend your argument, you agreed that Ayew had been our best player so by implication the rest must be worse

Okore? Amavi? Lescott? Gil? Veretout?, Gana? Richards? none of them could get a game for Norwich? Bournemouth? WBA?

Sinclair, Westwood, Clark, Lescott would all get games at the clubs mentioned

My opinion is that we are a GK, CB and Striker away from a mid-table side.

Collectively we are the worst team in the league (although at this exact moment in time I don't actually think we are the worst) but this is down to much more than players ability alone. Confidence, tactics and squad balance make up a massive part.

Are Leicesters players the best in the league becuase they are top? Is Huth the PL best CB - obviously not

We are made up of players of differing abilities - some are not good enough Gestede, Hutton, Guzan. Some would look like world beaters if they had good players around them

The eleven worst players in the league - I don't think so

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

There is literally nothing to support these wild claims rob? Nothing at all. You are right in saying that just because we are bottom of the league it doesn't mean we have bottom of the league players. However, we can only go on what we know and what we know is that they have all more often than not been shite.

Gil, Gana would not get into those sides you're suggesting. That tells you everything you need to know. 

38 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

Everton has been following him for a long while, according to Bryan King.

I just did some calculations. 

Average goals conceded per game with Okore in the team (2014-15 & 2015-16): 1.38

Average goals conceded per game without Okore (same time period): 1.65

And that includes those games at the end of last season (eg. the 6 conceded against Southampton) when Okore is widely acknowledged to have been injured. Our defence is much much better with him in the team, I'm not surprised other clubs have noticed. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

so way I see it we have players that could get into good teams and have seen one poster post 9 outfield players yet they cant string a pass together when playing for us

That's just not true though is it

Our defence was very poor at the start of the season and we can't score goals. We're not having any trouble "stringing passes together"

26 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

so if we had a starting 11 consisting of this line-up we wouldnt be in this mess?

Guzan/Bunn

Amavi Richards Lescott Cissokho

Gana Bacuna

Traore Gil  Ayew 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hypothesis 1: Bigger clubs do not, in fact, generally struggle in the Championship. In fact, bigger clubs do better than smaller clubs in the Championship. 

Hypothesis 2: Stadium capacity is a reasonable proxy for 'size of club', accepting that there are bigger clubs with smaller stadia (QPR) and vice versa (Coventry) but that these generally even out. 

Hypothesis 3: Generally speaking in the Championship, teams with bigger stadia finish higher in the league table.

Results:

2007/08

Promoted Av: 26,725

Top Half Av: 26,231

Bottom Half Av: 23,867

Relegated Av: 17,200

2008/09

Promoted Av: 27,706

Top Half Av: 26,627

Bottom Half Av: 25,364

Relegated Av: 28,875

2009/10

Promoted Av: 31,979

Top Half Av: 27,793

Bottom Half Av: 24,218

Relegated Av: 24,517

2010/11

Promoted Av: 22,136

Top Half Av: 27,360

Bottom Half Av: 23,386

Relegated Av: 21,764

2011/12

Promoted Av: 30,670

Top Half Av: 29,233

Bottom Half Av: 23,845

Relegated Av: 22,810

2012/13

Promoted Av: 27,980

Top Half Av: 28,327

Bottom Half Av: 26,624

Relegated Av: 19,811

2013/14

Promoted Av: 24,067

Top Half Av: 27,019

Bottom Half Av: 24,654

Relegated Av: 15,968

2014/15

Promoted Av: 19,991

Top Half Av: 27,075

Bottom Half Av: 26,460

Relegated Av: 20,640

Analysis:

• Teams that finished in the top half have bigger stadia than those in the bottom half, every season. 
  • Because of much smaller samples, promoted teams have a smaller average fairly regularly - being a small club is not a barrier to promotion (see Burnley / QPR / Bournemouth)
  • Really small clubs get relegated, generally quite quickly (Scunthorpe / Colchester / Yeovil)
  • The data doesn't support the idea that the Championship is harder for bigger clubs

can we put some extra chairs in the aisles?

Â