The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

There has to be total division in the camp between those who wanted Sherwood to stay and those who are happy to embrace the Remi way of life. There are a lot of noses out of joint that Sherwood got the boot, and it shows. Remi is playing with a divided dressing room I reckon, and even though he has cleared Gabby out of the picture, he's still texting the players, telling them Garde doesn't have a clue, and that Sherwood was undermined from before the summer. 

Sherwood was happy to be the superman with a team that wasn't his. He didn't sign any of the players, so if it goes wrong it's not his fault. This season though, the team was assembled by him, so he was more responsible for results, so he passed the buck. Telling his mates Gabby and Grealish that these players were signed behind his back, and that they're all rubbish. And then when he got the kick, maybe because Fox had had enough of him going around telling lies about how he was treated by the hierarchy to try to protect his reputation, it confirmed for a lot of people what he'd been telling them, that he was a patsy. Especially because they then brought in a French manager, with an Arsenal connection.

Hmmm, maybe I could see his point. Either way, that's what going through the heads of the players, especially those who were best mates with Tim. Tim was hunted out of the club in favour of an Arsenal man, and now the club are getting their comeuppance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Yeah, it's interesting that despite all this talk about our summer signings (some of which were pretty poor of course) it's probably the senior players who have been the worst of all. Funnily enough, for all the stick the overseas signings have gotten most of them have been our best performing players, although that isn't saying much. I wonder why they seemed to have copped an unfair amount of stick? A bit of xenophobia perhaps.

There's definitely something toxic in the dressing room.

what senior players do we have long term. gabby hasnt started a game under manager yet, Guzan is garbage and after that Clark and Westwood are bit part players under him

we are crappest squad in league and said it before that when we go down nobody will want any of our players. maybe Ayew and a fit Amavi is what will go

I'm not saying Garde is at fault here, well, not completely, as the players weren't good enough before...however...against Leicester, before we capitulated, we looked good and we didn't look as hopeless in games as we do now. Maybe it's down to lack of confidence within the players and accepting that they aren't up to the requirements, but I don't understand where people are getting the idea that Remi Garde is the man to bring the club back up. What has he shown since he got here? Have I missed it? We seem to somehow have got worse. He hasn't managed to cut out the unforced errors, he hasn't managed to organise the defence, they're terrible, but they're not even organised when they're being terrible. He hasn't managed to address the issues over fitness, even though he's had a few months now. The main thin F he hasn't done though is made this team look like they had a chance of winning a game at any point. 

I dont blame Garde for where we are, but he's shown me nothing at all to think he was the right man for the job he was given or the right man for the job he now faces.

Edited by AVFCAM

The issue at hand here is that this isn't Garde's team - he didn't assemble it, he didn't sign anyone and he has to deal with the situation at hand. 

If he's backed in the transfer window and we see what he can do, then we are in a position to really judge the guy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The issue at hand here is that this isn't Garde's team - he didn't assemble it, he didn't sign anyone and he has to deal with the situation at hand. 

If he's backed in the transfer window and we see what he can do, then we are in a position to really judge the guy. 

Correct it's not his team, but how many managers take over and get nothing at all out their new players...you'd at least expect something from a manager of Premier League standard. An F1 driver may not be familiar with a different true of racing car, but he'd be able to wrestle some kind of decent performance from it. (Not a brilliant analogy there)

also, I don't want him backed in the window, we'd be much better building for next season and using this next few months to get the squad playing. That's what BrawnGP did, wrote off that season, worked on next seasons car and then won the championship as they'd spent so much time working on it.

(I'm not an F1 fan...I just know those bits)

Edited by AVFCAM

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I think that's a dreadfully poor excuse

• Like 3

It wasn't MON's team and he instantly made us better. 

It wasn't Sherwood's team and he took only a short time to improve things. 

Look a Pulis and Pardew at palace. 

There's plenty of examples of managers having an impact on teams that aren't built by themselves. So far Garde has had no impact. He has to show something as to why he deserves the opportunity to build his own team here. We can't just rely on something he did in France a few years ago. 

• Like 4

Without a doubt there is a dressing room divide.

I would suggest that Richards gabby and grealish really dislike Garde.

unfortunately they are probably the most vocal three in the camp aswell.

its just guess work but I cannot see a situation where Gabby is left out of the squad for the first time in 8 or so years and he just sits back and takes it.

Some players will be in his corner. .our **** captain for one.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

I totally agree, I despair at the amount of "can't blame garde" posts.

He might not be to blame for what we were, but he is surely part of the problem of where we are now and rightly apportions part of the blame.

Even for our lousy set of players, there is a a good fitting manager...right guy for the right circumstances and all.  At the minute he's not looking like the guy, but I think more time is required than knee jerk firing.

I just can't have these posts saying he can't be blamed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yeah, it's interesting that despite all this talk about our summer signings (some of which were pretty poor of course) it's probably the senior players who have been the worst of all. Funnily enough, for all the stick the overseas signings have gotten most of them have been our best performing players, although that isn't saying much. I wonder why they seemed to have copped an unfair amount of stick? A bit of xenophobia perhaps.

There's definitely something toxic in the dressing room.

I think this is ridiculous. Xenophobia? Utter nonsense. 

Our summer signings on the whole have not been good enough and the remaining players have been just as shit. Regardless of where they're from a lot of players have deservedly been criticised this season for their contribution to our relegation. The English lads we have are Richards, lescott, westwood, gabby and Grealish and all have been criticised to a similar level to the over seas players we've signed. 

Who do you think has come in for unfair stick compared to other players?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think this is ridiculous. Xenophobia? Utter nonsense. 

Our summer signings on the whole have not been good enough and the remaining players have been just as shit. Regardless of where they're from a lot of players have deservedly been criticised this season for their contribution to our relegation. The English lads we have are Richards, lescott, westwood, gabby and Grealish and all have been criticised to a similar level to the over seas players we've signed. 

Who do you think has come in for unfair stick compared to other players?

All names that have been ripped to pieces, rightly so...but still, like you say this fantasy xenophobia is laughable.  Any excuse?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

Without a doubt there is a dressing room divide.

I would suggest that Richards gabby and grealish really dislike Garde.

unfortunately they are probably the most vocal three in the camp aswell.

its just guess work but I cannot see a situation where Gabby is left out of the squad for the first time in 8 or so years and he just sits back and takes it.

Some players will be in his corner. .our **** captain for one.

I'm not sure how much I buy this. Those three were all shit under Sherwood this season as well.

We won't see the best of Garde until he's allowed to bring in his own players who will have a full preseason with a proper fitness coach the task to keep us up this season is nothing more than rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic

This season is a right off because of the previous clown manager and the players we have are simply not good enough that's why were going down and not because of Garde

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, av1 said:

At first it was because GH was out of touch, then because AM was just crap, PL was boring, TS was a tosser, now apparently Remi is don't cut the mustard. You just get to the stage when realise our problems are much much more than the Manager.

I take a little problem with this, in pointing out that those are all pretty much true.  For a long time now, we've taken bargain basement managers that nobody else has shown any interest in - who haven't really achieved anything worthy of note.  To put it bluntly, for a shit as the team has been - we've taken just as shit managers.

Again, so many love to discount all manner of experience when experience is our best measure of success.  Long term experience shows us consistency, and chances of success at repeating what those experiences have been.

We've really gambled on some crap along the lines, Mcleish was best known for relegating blues twice and the rest is just managing a few scotish teams.  Tim Sherwood, his managerial experience is all of half a season at spurs - that's it.  Anything else Sherwood did was not as a manager, it was the wrong appointment at the time but actually turned out okay as he kept  us up but since then the walls came crashing down.

Now our latest manager is really just a guy who managed a French team for a few seasons and spectacularly kept them run of the mill...wowzers.  There is really nothing else, because that is the full extent of his managerial experience, to give good indication that he's likely to be a success here.

All of them have been largely unknowns, none of our managers have gone on to leave the Villa and achieve anything of note for some 10 years or so.  Most of the managers we've picked up have been out of work with good reason I would suspect...

Someone said that even the best manager in the world couldn't get this team playing, how can anyone say that when we haven't even had one close.  Let's just be honest, our team is shite but we haven't done ourselves any favors in the management recruitment either.

And to put that into context, people have pinned hopes on the Leicester blue print.  They went out and got a manager with bags of experience that spans over years, and he has some great plaudits to boot in improving teams performances (as well as some not so successful tenures).

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Don't agree Richard; It is undoubtedly a 'reason' rather than an 'excuse' and that it isn't his team is beyond argument. Whether any manager could have made this 'team' perform better is open to question - I have never known Villa have so many misfits at one time in the squad. Garde accepted a poisoned chalice when he took on the role and the danger  is that he becomes just another scapegoat for the rocket polisher who owns the club. Personally I would give him the opportunity to try to rebuild from the championship. As always I may be wrong but I believe he has potential and the right nous to change our clubs direction if given time. 

Many wanted us to go for Allardyce and despite yesterday there is still huge doubts that he can help Sunderland survive and for me he would not have done any better for Villa in the short term and offered nothing for the long term. What were the other alternatives? Pearson? Just a younger version of Allardyce for me. 

The fans are rightly angry and hugely down but imho Garde can make a positive difference over the longer term. That we are going down is ****** tragedy but I think it was inevitable given the way the club has been run into the ground. Getting rid of Garde will do nothing now other than slake the anger of some fans. 

• Like 1

Klopp is regarded as one of best managers in world yet he has only mirrored or got worse results than Rodgers coming in at Similar time to Garde

So I don't think it's that easy to turn things around especially when the fundamentals I.e the players are not there.

That said the playing of Richards for example when Okore and Lescott where looking more solid is bewildering .Also the longer we go with no win the harder it will be for him to turn it around.We need to start next season on the up to get back up straight away if this form carries on I see him like the players now In such a downturn it's not possible to turn around without replacing him

9 hours ago, av1 said:

Great post mate. What I wanted to say but you articulated it better. 

The summer signings (particularly the French lads) have had varying degrees of success, but what you can't knock with any of them is effort. Its the senior players that really need to have a look at themselves, these guys are the reason that we have battled relegation for the last 5yrs. 

For some, like Hutton, its simply a case of quality rather than application, but others have carried an attitude that is quite frankly shameful. When GH came to the club there were stories that he was unhappy with the professionalism and attitude of the squad, and that some had rebelled against his hard line stance, now he obviously fell ill so its impossible to predict how that would have panned out.  

I've got a feeling that Garde may be cut from the same clothe, he seems utterly bewildered at the shambles he has inherited and has shown with his treatment of Grealish and Gabby that he won't suffer fools.  Relegation may make it easier for him to rip the squad to pieces and start again. 

I hope he gets the chance to do so.

This post and the post it refers to (where the hell has it gone?) perfectly sum up the situation for me.

• Like 1

Â