The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Is the whole 'experience of the Championship' overplayed for requirements when it comes to management? I mean, Karanka and Clement didn't have that much experience of Championship management and seem to be doing OK...

• Like 1

I still think it's too early to judge what this guy could be ultimately capable of, though in the same time span with similar results my mind was made up with Sherwood.

I do think though, if I was forced to pass judgement I'd say Garde has been shit - and probably put him down as failure.  And if I could forsee what I've seen now, and asked whether I wanted him to come in the first place - then I would probably say no.

6 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

Is the whole 'experience of the Championship' overplayed for requirements when it comes to management? I mean, Karanka and Clement didn't have that much experience of Championship management and seem to be doing OK...

I think experience in any league is overplayed. If your good you'll be good, if your sh*t you'll be sh*t. 

Remi has proven he is good in another country, and may prove to be good is this country once he has rid the squad of all the crap and built his own team. 

10 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

I see what you are saying but why take the risk?

22 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm pretty sure Sherwood signed off on the players too.

and the thing is at the time we were all very excited at the players we were signing, I know this is a simplification but I genuinely think the reason we are heading for relegation is the fact we didn't replace Benteke, we failed to sign howling mad Adebeyor or have any plan B for that.

All season long we have lacked any attacking focus, so even if we get through the clown school defending we have never looked like scoring aside from some noteworthy performances from Ayew and the occasional unlikely cameo from the fringes.

the new french league signings were always going to take the time they have to settle, Richards tanked in Italy and wasn't really proven as a centre back in the Premiership yet we put a lot of eggs in that basket. Gestede was a worthy gamble, but only ever a plan B to a plan A that never happened.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think I'd probably disagree on this basis - notwithstanding anything in any of your paragraphs, we're not going to stay up, these players aren't good enough. If he is anything, it is a slow burn and we've got plenty of time. To an extent you can say we don't have a league match that matters for eight months.

The big question mark for me is how much losing puts on him, how much players start to associate him with losing and the extent to which the manager becomes the scapegoat they can use rather than deal with their own shortcomings. I don't mean that as a knock against our players in particular, I mean top level footballers as a whole - you'll struggle to find one that says "It's my fault" and means it. If the players we have now (and our future players) associate him with losing, then he's in trouble. If he loses the fanbase through losing games; then he's in trouble. 

Not losing is going to be difficult, we aren't a very good side, and it might well be that if we play this badly until the end of the season (and there's nothing to say we won't) then he might have to be sacrificed to the footballing Gods in the summer in order to get us a clean slate and a chance at a bounce.

Winning a few games in the remainder of the season is very unlikely to keep us in the division, in some ways, a few wins in the next eighteen is more important for him than it is for us. I think we're the perfect project for a slow burn manager - a big club waiting for a blueprint, for a character to be overlaid on our structure - but surviving long enough without scars is going to be very difficult. i'm not sure he'll manage it, I hope he does.

I can't disagree with any of this really.

I guess its just that while there is still a chance left to stay up, however implausible, I'd chance it if it were me. And the only chance I see is the one I outlined.

Also I very much agree with your second paragraph, and feel this may have already happened.....in which case, as you point out, be may end up being sacrificed anyway, for the reasons you say, which, harsh though it would be, are usually reality. Of course, it could also be argued that way for Pearson. If HE came in and we STILL bumped along the bottom, HE would then be sacrificed !!!

Which all goes to show what a mess it is !

I guess for me he gives us one chance, and is less likely ( maybe) to go as badly, and wouldn't be too bad for coming back.

And I'm not sure whether the Garde blueprint, which I think I see and understand, is necessarily best for us given our perceived toothlessness, spinelessness, aristocratic " not getting my hands dirty" ' culture'.......maybe we need a few yearsof the grittier more aggressive approach. ? I mean to boil it right down, do we look like we need to be more street fighter, or more artisan ? I'd say, with regret, its the former. Although football has and is changing I think some Clubs, like ours, need toughening up, even though the trend is the other way.

A little like Moyes did with Everton, make us rougher, duller, tougher, more resilient. Maybe by luck that's what they did, Moyes followed by  Martinez rather than the other way round.

But I'd agree its almost 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Flippin' miserable mess it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

At the moment I can't blame Garde. In general he has for the most picked decent line ups(bar Norwich) that very many have agreed with. He has dealt with the nonsense of Grealish, Gabby, dropped every player that has underperformed when picked previously, although I say it loosely as they are pretty much all shocking. I just don't see what more he could do with this bunch as the majority of the senior players are the most culpable for our plight. Those you would expect as a manager to hold it together on the pitch and drive the team on are without doubt our biggest problem. It's a lose lose situation for Garde at the moment imo and something that will take longer than 6 months to remedy.

For the first time today I saw him very very animated and angry on the touch line. I think he is as frustrated at the stupidity of the players as much as the rest of us tbh and would replace them all given the chance.

Know doubt we have had a couple of managers who have underacheived over the last few years but we have a squad with senior players in it that should not be wearing the claret and blue of Aston Villa. An owner that hasn't got the foggiest and a commercial dude running the whole shabang?! Which sums it all up imo.

As for Garde if he starts ridding the club of the likes of Gabby, Nzog, Richardson, Hutton, Guzan, Sinclair or any other player that is unwilling to fight for the shirt they should be begging to wear, then I'm on side because we cannot go on like this.

This is exactly what I think. My disappointment is that we havnt won any games or had the new manager bounce. I don't really have much complaint with 99% of his actions.

Aside from results, I think most people are happy with how he has dealt with tricky situations - Grealish, Gabby, Nzogbia....

I think he won't accept we are down until it is a mathematical certainty, which while its seems ridiculous to us, is probably a good sign of his character, if not the players. When we are down for sure, I think he can win the support of the fans by getting rid of the deadwood and playing the youngsters.

Edited by GeordieVillan

53 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Fortunately I didn't.

I find it funny though that someone who backed so firmly a manager that continually showed a lack of nuts and mismanaged the club previously as far as staff and players go, that you now question Gardes spine. Quite ironic that!

If anything I think it is the least questionable thing about him imo. Whether or not he is making the correct decisions is up for debate, but spine?!

Perhaps you should do, you might actually learn something. It may help you understand why it's not as ironic as you think or that funny. It may help you in your obvious confusion. 

41 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

I do agree but they also inherited two of the strongest squads in the league and been given a ton of money each to build on them. Garde has had neither of those luxuries and his lack of adventure is not filling me with an awful lot of confidence. 

Don't care who's the manager now. Just get rid of the board, get rid of any players who don't want to be here, watch the overly-negative fans lose interest and not turn-up to Villa Park, get a proper party going on in the Holte every week, and we can bounceback. All of those need to happen though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am struggling to get my head around the supporters saying that they think Garde should be in charge next season. I am not saying he shouldn't by the way, I'll decide on that further down the line, I am just wondering what he has done since he has been here, and what he did in his limited management career prior to joining us, to warrant being guaranteed to be our manager in 8 months time.

Not Sherwood is the main qualification 

• Like 1

Could you see Remi going into that dressing room demanding blood and guts for the cause, fight till you drop, run till your legs drop off. To nice for me and mugged by a useless overpaid staff that see an easy living and no return style of life, football is not for nice guys its about results. Imagine if you got paid by worth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, onmeedson said:

Could you see Remi going into that dressing room demanding blood and guts for the cause, fight till you drop, run till your legs drop off. To nice for me and mugged by a useless overpaid staff that see an easy living and no return style of life, football is not for nice guys its about results. Imagine if you got paid by worth.

Exactly. No spine 

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not Sherwood is the main qualification 

I think this is what it has become.

I keep telling my self it's too early to judge, but I think this is what it may have been all along...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Perhaps you should do, you might actually learn something. It may help you understand why it's not as ironic as you think or that funny. It may help you in your obvious confusion. 

Sorry to disappoint you but I read enough of your pro Lambert posts to realise there was nothing of real substance in what you write. As for my confusion, there is none, I am confident I wont learn anything from worth knowing from you. Each to their own though and we'll leave it there!

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am struggling to get my head around the supporters saying that they think Garde should be in charge next season. I am not saying he shouldn't by the way, I'll decide on that further down the line, I am just wondering what he has done since he has been here, and what he did in his limited management career prior to joining us, to warrant being guaranteed to be our manager in 8 months time.

Agree, I also am just not sure. At 1-1 today I didn't see Garde or his coaching team on the touch line pushing us for a winner but what I did see was Fat Sam pushing his team! Not saying Garde is a bad manager just think he maybe the wrong manager at the wrong time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Agree, I also am just not sure. At 1-1 today I didn't see Garde or his coaching team on the touch line pushing us for a winner but what I did see was Fat Sam pushing his team! Not saying Garde is a bad manager just think he maybe the wrong manager at the wrong time. 

I know it's petty to read into these things too much, but that is pretty unforgivable.

I'm just thinking "Remi Garde" is going to be the answer to a lot of pub quiz questions later down the line, and not for very good reasons...

On the evidence so far, I certainly wouldn't give Garde too much money to spend in the January window. There's no sense at all he has a clue how to get us out of this so let's save the available money for a Championship-ready rebuild in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

What he say? 

Big Sam spoke quite warmly of Villa after the game.

Proud Midlander Sam Allardyce admits it is a crying shame to see "super, super club" Aston Villa in such a mess.

Allardyce piled more misery on Villa when his Sunderland strugglers beat Remi Garde's relegation favourites 3-1 at the Stadium of Light.

The Dudley-born boss insists the Black Cats are obviously his priority, but he is upset by the demise of the claret and blues.

Asked about Villa he replied: "It's nothing to do with me.

"Aston Villa are where they are. They're a fantastic club, I'm a Midlands lad.

"Super super club with fantastic history. I used to play against Brian Little (who was in the pressroom at Sunderland for Allardyce's press conference) and he caused me a few problems.

"It's a shame to see that club - if you come from the Midlands like I do - but from my point of view it's Sunderland that I have to improve."

Allardyce admits Sunderland are still in trouble despite putting daylight between themselves and Villa.

Asked how he views their situation now, he added: "Dire. Still.

"Don't worry about that - we're a long way from getting safe and we're still very much a relegation-threatened side.

"This will give us a little bit of relief but we must be resilient in terms of picking up wins from here on in."

Â