The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I don't think it's fair or reasonable to pass judgement on Garde just yet, for the simple reason that he had nothing to do with choosing the players he currently has at his disposal.

Take the case of Liverpool and Chelsea, Rodgers and Mourinho were fired as the teams were under performing, considering the players those squads have. Garde, unlike Klopp and Hiddink, did not inherit a squad that is performing below par, he inherited a squad where the consensus by most football experts is that many of our players are simply not good enough for the Premier League, so expecting him to miraculously change results overnight is a little unreasonable. 

Until Garde has had a chance to get his own players in and actually have the team play with his own tactics and style (rather than being forced into playing a system that accommodates players from someone else's ideology) it's in my opinion, not fair to call him a good or bad appointment right now.

• Like 3

yawn, are we really doing this again?

As painful as it is to watch, I believe we have to do it until all 38 have been played. Blame the FA.

If it means we have to debate foreign vs local players after each and every one of them then I'm outta here. See you in the Championship

im convinced RG was brought in was a three tier option

french.. a major key part as the squad has a lot of french players,

its plain as day the club feel that they no longer want to buy & pay for quality players that play in the Premier League hence players are being bought from the unknowns & RG may know of the odd player in the french leagues

RG wont demand /rock the boat better players or he will walk as mon did, the rest of the managers post mon have all toed the line with cost cutting etc, when we get relegated RG as we all know will get 1st crack to get promoted,

i dont trust any one at the club as the combinations of 5 years of miss managment from top to bottom,on the field & off leaves me thinking you really deserve to get relegated & miss out on the one single thing RL wants...£100m tv £££££££££££££

Aston Villa: Remi Garde will not quit if relegated

Remi Garde wants to remain Aston Villa manager even if they are relegated from the Premier League.

The former Lyon boss signed a three-and-a-half-year contract in November, succeeding Tim Sherwood.

Villa have failed to win any of his eight matches in charge and are bottom of the table, 11 points from safety at the halfway stage of the season.

When asked if he would stay if the club were relegated for the first time since 1987, Garde said: "Yes."

Villa have won just once in the league this season, on the opening day at Bournemouth, and have lost 13 of the following 18 games.

"Of course I thought we would have won earlier, but I knew when you come to a club that has played 11 and lost nine you don't expect to find everything going well," he added.

"If they are, you do not get the call to come in. I knew it would be difficult but now I am full of confidence for what we can achieve in this club."

Villa play second-bottom Sunderland on Saturday. They are four points adrift of their relegation rivals but Garde does not believe defeat will mean relegation will follow.

"It's a very important game but this is not the last chance we will have," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35211325

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

While encouraging to see statements like this, it wasn't long ago that the media were reporting Delph was staying and had no intention of leaving us (We all know what happened there the rocket polisher). I'd take this with a pinch of salt right now, anything can happen between now and May.

• Like 1

Don't know.

As you would see if you actually read my post, I didn't mention foreign players. [emoji4]

Okay let's play semantics, what's the issue with 'guys that don't know the PL'? 

Sigh.

It's not "semantics", it's about realism.

People who don't know the Premier League come with a high risk that they will take time to settle in, however talented. Even a 5 game settling in period for the new recruits accompanied by poor results would leave us hopelessly adrift. Loic Remy is a better bet because he knows the Premier League (despite being a foreign player, just to clear up any remaining confusion in your mind) and I think Garde should go for proven campaigners who could hit the ground running.

If he can persuade any to come here...

I don't think 'knowing the premier league' really has that much to do with a players success (and the immediacy of it) 

It's a combination of attitude, class, and fitness. Fitness being the important one for immediate impact.

And this is something that you have to rely on scouting to judge

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Calm down IMO he wasn't the right man for the job and still hasn't shown me anything so far to change my mind.

No I don't want him sacked that would now be pointless (no pun intended)

I want an owner who wants to own the club and be 100% committed , and most importantly a board who understand how to run a football club and make the correct appointments and sound footballing decisions!

it would also be nice to win a game!! 

Fella, I was just asking for your opinion. I am as calm as Remi Garde having a massage, listening to whale music on a ship sailing on the sea of tranquillity! :P

Edited by Barney_avfc

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The fact he keeps talking about staying if we're relegated really makes me think he's accepted it. 

I think it was probably discussed pre-appointment. Now the press are asking him the question and that's his honest answer. 

Garde is just a quiet "yes" man

I have seen absolutely nothing to confirm this. I have seen absolutely nothing to refute it.

But hey, the lad's not calling everyone a 'slaaaag' like the last guy so it must be true.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The fact he keeps talking about staying if we're relegated really makes me think he's accepted it. 

He'd sound pretty stupid if he hadn't accepted it as a possibility wouldn't he?

Every press conference he gives he says he believes we can still get out of it. So he's not accepting relegation. But if he sat there and said "we won't get relegated" the it would be Tim Sherwood levels of idiocy.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd sound pretty stupid if he hadn't accepted it as a possibility wouldn't he?

Every press conference he gives he says he believes we can still get out of it. So he's not accepting relegation. But if he sat there and said "we won't get relegated" the it would be Tim Sherwood levels of idiocy.

I wouldn't disagree. I don't expect him to say much different to what he has.

I just think he's accepted it and is more than happy to be our manager next season. I think that acceptance has dictated his approach so far. He's not interested in high risk/high reward because he's happy to do the long term building here. More interested in making relegation as respectable as it could possibly be. 

I think long term he will do something decent here but I'm very disappointed with what I've seen. 

I may have it all wrong but then I'd be concerned that he believes this approach is the best way to get us safe this season. 

2 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

I don't think it's fair or reasonable to pass judgement on Garde just yet, for the simple reason that he had nothing to do with choosing the players he currently has at his disposal.

Take the case of Liverpool and Chelsea, Rodgers and Mourinho were fired as the teams were under performing, considering the players those squads have. Garde, unlike Klopp and Hiddink, did not inherit a squad that is performing below par, he inherited a squad where the consensus by most football experts is that many of our players are simply not good enough for the Premier League, so expecting him to miraculously change results overnight is a little unreasonable. 

Until Garde has had a chance to get his own players in and actually have the team play with his own tactics and style (rather than being forced into playing a system that accommodates players from someone else's ideology) it's in my opinion, not fair to call him a good or bad appointment right now.

yes but you say that yet he continues to play SInclair which sinks his stock in my book. Id rather play a 15 year old youth player than that waste of space

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

I think it's more than fair to judge him thus far, he's had enough games for us to see how he likes to set the team up, how he makes decisions during matches and to observe what ever 'motivational' effects he can have on players. 

What we haven't seen yet, as you point out, is how he will operate in transfer windows. However I think we've seen enough to form a reasonable opinion of him, maybe not a complete opinion, but one that's not too far off.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It makes me think that when he signed it was a mutual understanding that this was a long term appointment regardless of what happens

• Like 1

remi should of got a win by now, a few games have been a possible win, but has insisted on playing players out of position, playing players of lessability than what hes had on the bench and more importantly keeping some players on the starting 11 when they should of been dropped.

Â