Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

16 minutes ago, weedman said:

We don't have a head start though. There's less players willing to join us now than there will be in the summer.

At the moment a player will join anyone in the PL over us and more so any player vaguely in that Championship promotion mix won't want to join either just in case they go up, so we're looking at mid table Championship or lower, providing no one in the promotion mix or PL is interested, hardly a big pool of quality players. Next season we will arguably be the biggest name down there, and the chance of promotion should mean we can cherry pick anyone the PL overlooks.

If our plan is to "prepare for the Championship" then our best bet is to sign no one this window, and rebuild (where necessary) in the summer

Have to disagree mate. Norwich, Bournemouth, Sunderland and Newcastle are all having no problem signing players. Do you honestly think Afobe would have chosen Bournemouth over us had we matched their bid?

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Have to disagree mate. Norwich, Bournemouth, Sunderland and Newcastle are all having no problem signing players. Do you honestly think Afobe would have chosen Bournemouth over us had we matched their bid?

Inclined to agree...

We may be in an absolutely disgraceful position, but people have long memories when it comes to pedigree - and we just have more than those others...

• Like 3

Didn't know where else to post this, not sure if it has already appeared. If this is Nixon's 'big thing' as well, I think I might kill myself:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-owner-randy-lerner-7234447

Unless he's an 18 y.o. wonder kid who no one else has heard of, then he can do one. 

I couldnt imagine us becoming more of an f-ing laughing stock: what was that Randy? You can?! Of course...

We already have a head start. The fact our name is aston villa gives us a huge head start. Loan a centre forward for the rest of the season if its possible and ha e a go that way. Keep any money we have for the summer and use the fact were "Aston villa" and get the best we can to get us out if the championship

Is Santos on?

NEC Nijmegen manager Ernest Faber has admitted to De Gelderlander that he expects star forward Christian Santos to leave the club this winter amid reports linking the Venezuela international with a move to Aston Villa.

Santos originally joined NEC in the summer of 2014 following an injury-ravaged spell with Belgian side Waasland-Beveren and went on to help the club seal promotion to the Eredivisie in his first season in the Netherlands with 23 goals in 34 Eerste Divisie games.

The 27-year-old attacker, who moved with his family to Germany from his native Venezuela at the age of five, has since had few problems adapting to the Dutch top-flight, netting 12 times in 19 league appearances to keep his side in contention for a Europa League spot.

However, having witnessed his goalscoring exploits attract reported interest from a host of clubs across Europe over the first half of the season, it now remains to be seen whether the former Arminia Bielefeld product will see out the rest of the campaign at the Goffertstadion.

HITC recently reported that Championship trio Brentford, Brighton and Hull City are all keeping close tabs on the left-footed speedster, while De Gelderlander claimed earlier this month that Premier League strugglers Villa are also weighing up a move for his signature after netting a division-low 18 goals in 23 games.

Santos himself even revealed to Fox Sports last weekend following his side’s 1-0 home win over Willem II that his contract contains a release clause allowing him to join a top-flight club sitting below fourth-place in their league for just £230,000, before later reaffirming the details in a since-deleted tweet.

The pacey goal-getter, who can play on either wing or through the middle, only has five months left on his deal regardless, and NEC boss Faber has conceded that his star man is ready for a new challenge.

“I think Christian is ready for something different,” he told De Gelderlander ahead of last night’s 0-0 draw at FC Groningen. “But everything is up to Christian. I'd like to keep him. He trains well and shoot all the balls in there. But he also has his own choices and interests.”

Full article.....

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/23/nec-nijmegen-boss-ernest-faber-admits-defeat-in-battle-to-keep-r/

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Didn't know where else to post this, not sure if it has already appeared. If this is Nixon's 'big thing' as well, I think I might kill myself:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-owner-randy-lerner-7234447

Unless he's an 18 y.o. wonder kid who no one else has heard of, then he can do one. 

I couldnt imagine us becoming more of an f-ing laughing stock: what was that Randy? You can?! Of course...

If true it wouldn't surprise me. There was no way Lerner was going to take a back seat without having a pair of eyes around the club. He's an absolute word removed and a dictator.

We don't have a head start though. There's less players willing to join us now than there will be in the summer.

At the moment a player will join anyone in the PL over us and more so any player vaguely in that Championship promotion mix won't want to join either just in case they go up, so we're looking at mid table Championship or lower, providing no one in the promotion mix or PL is interested, hardly a big pool of quality players. Next season we will arguably be the biggest name down there, and the chance of promotion should mean we can cherry pick anyone the PL overlooks.

If our plan is to "prepare for the Championship" then our best bet is to sign no one this window, and rebuild (where necessary) in the summer

Yes I think he would have. We are 9 points cut adrift and barring a miracle we're getting relegated. Any player with aspirations to play in the PL would chose them over us. Again, that may be different in the summer, we may be able to beat some PL teams to signings simply due to our pedigree and the fact that we should be able to sell our ambitions to players where long term we're probably a safer bet to be in the PL than someone like Bournemouth but players don't give a damn about that now. Taking the claret and blue specs off, if I were a player wanted by Villa and any other Prem team I'd chose another prem team. Newcastle have a far greater pedigree than say Stoke, but they'd really struggle to sign a player if Stoke also wanted them at the moment. We have more pedigree than Leicester, or half the teams in the PL, but those players still won't choose us because we are as near to relegation certainties as you can get in January.

Taking off the claret and blue specs, if I were a player (say mid table Championship player) and was wanted by Villa and Middlesbrough, I'd probably choose Boro, simply because they look very likely to go up, whereas we are more likely to go down. Go to Villa, and have a few months of demoralising football before getting relegated and ending up right back where I started, or go to Boro, have a few months of winning matches and actually enjoying football followed by a season in the Prem then reassess the following season? Sounds like a no brainer to me. It could backfire spectacularly of course, but playing the odds they have a far better chance of being in the PL next season than we do.

I personally think we do have a chance, albeit a very slight chance, and therefore should be looking for some short term deals, loans or players with equal value "get out clauses" following relegation or large bonuses if we stay up. If we are buying for the future it'll be better done in the summer, but if we are buying for the right now then forget potential and buy/loan/whatever the players who are best right now, whether they are 19 or 39. Obviously it's not gonna be easy getting players to sign, and that is why I think (hope) we'll see more movement towards the end of the window when players realise there are no better offers

Wouldn't mind Santos, I think he'd be worth the gamble - clearly wants to try and make the step up to another level, good in the air, very good finisher. Of course the Eredivisie quality is not close to the Premier League, but we need that sort of striker who just gets into the right places. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Probably.

He wants to move to the Premier League. I assume he's been sold that Bournemouth will stay there with his help.

That would be a very hard sell for us to make. He'd more than likely think he'd end up back in the championship next season. In which case he may as well stay where he is.

As ridiculous as it sounds, does anyone else think we won't sign anyone at all this window? Apparently we have been working on signings before the window even opened, yet none have arrived. 1 week left to get a striker and keeper. 

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Failure to sign Austin in the summer has relegated us, with him, we wouldn't be this far adrift. Great going transfer committee. 

sign Austin and we are mid-table its as simple as that. even Adebayor and we out of trouble. we lost so many games by the odd goal that it was crazy not buy a striker

7 hours ago, av1 said:

I would honestly cry. Stuart Pearce would be the worst possible "football man" we could hope for. 

This has Lerner written all over it. (Or Hollis/fox, whoever the bloody hell is pulling the strings these days)

last game of season need to stay up and we throw Guzan up front, the Stuart Pearce tactic

It's gotten so desperate I'd take Gayle or Adebayor even. Christian Santos surely is worth a punt & I see that Sebastian Haller hasn't joined Norwich and is being linked again with us and Swansea. 2 out of those 4 surely are doable. 

We were going to buy Kalinic, that is quite clear. So there must be some money there for the right player in the right position. I just fear our league placing rules out anyone useful - regardless of the tight-fisted board.