Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Even if we go down I think we should be signing players who can grow into a team ready for the Prem.

We need to sign, mostly, players who are good enough to get us out of the Championship. That's all that matters in the short term. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was a very good point made there's hardly anyone vocal in our team and no leaders. It's a problem we've had since the MON years when the team was full of them so surely we can find 1-2 players capable of this a division lower.

It was so apparent on Saturday it was untrue, partly down to current confidence levels as well I'm sure. A Parker, Barton, Nolan type figure would work wonders on the squad I'm sure of it.  Often I am told by my Celtic supporting relatives that Scott Brown may not be the best player in their division but is such an influence on a match day. I truly believe we need one or two like this as it can make such a difference!

Players such as Grealish, Ayew, maybe even Westwood and Bacuna (low wages) will get picked off by other teams fairly easily.

Most of the players that do a job no matter how unspectacular will find a place abroad or with newly promoted clubs. Ayew has proven himself Premiership quality. Someone will gamble on Traore even if it's a overseas club. Guzan, Hutton, Lescott have places booked already at Lampton's Donkey Sanctuary.

You might get a show of loyalty from players like Okore or those who haven't quite delivered and want to prove themselves like Gana or Vertout. Amavi if only to prove his fitness. Gestede back at the level he can play at, Baker, Clark clearly at that level already. 

Then maybe the ones that get cut loose or forced out, who Garde doesn't want to take with him to the Championship.

Not sure why there is a transfer summit, as i can't see us even spending more than 3-4 million on new players and wages. I wouldn't be surprised if we sell more players than we buy.

we should be buying the best championship players out there now, rather than wait till we are relegated and find it harder to attract them, but since when did this club ever do anything sensible???

Besides we're not down yet and that's official, we should be doing everything we can to keep it that. Worry about the Championship once we're relegated. But if we do go down it's imperative that we start building a squad for the long term.

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We need to sign, mostly, players who are good enough to get us out of the Championship. That's all that matters in the short term. 

To be honest, we need a good mixture of experience and players with good 'upside' - i,e, proven at championship level but young/talented enough to potentially become premier league players. We need to be signing the next Afobe's and Andre Gray's of this world.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Some of them sure.

However targeting younger players who are doing well with their clubs should be the remit. Cresswell going to West Ham and doing so well, he has clearly shown he is better than the championship for example.

What we need to do is get these players i.e Byram who has potential to make the step up but can also immediately do very well for us in the championship.

Forget what we did before with targeting younger players, they weren't even doing that well with their clubs at the time.

There will always be exceptions of course, Delph was one, but he took 3 seasons to some good. I seem to remember Bennett, Bowery and Westwood being promising young lower division talent but they haven't assisted our cause. I reckon that's a plan that will assure us a long stay in the championship. Problem is with young players they are inconsistent, look at Jack, he hasn't turned up since the FA cup semi. You win nothing with kids ;-)

i reckon Lerner will have to have one last roll of the dice, leverage the brand/heritage while we still have one, and try and get in more top level foreigners with his parachute money in a shit or bust last hurrah.

Perhaps a good signing in this or the next window could be a coach/back room staff member that the fans can actually relate to and the players actually respect (ie a Laursen type figure)? Petrov could have been that man but was perhaps not well enough. Obviously they would have to have some coaching ability but I for one would like to see this.

There is no shame in starting to recruit these type of players now.

Lewis Cook at Leeds. Would easily walk into our midfield. I'm confident he would come if we were interested.

Fans will immediately give these players more time than the dross we have currently.

Doing nothing isn't an option and short term loans really at this point are pretty useless.

These type of players won't come cheap that is the sticking point unfortunately which is why I think we will go the short term cheap option.

seem to remember Bennett, Bowery and Westwood being promising young lower division talent but they haven't assisted our cause.

That's the problem, they weren't. They weren't even the best at their club. We shouldn't be clouded in our judgement by championship players, I'm not saying every player in the championship will make the step up but there a few who would which we need to start to target.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supernova26 said:

Going by the names in this thread I don't think we should make any signings. Sounds like a list of players who had a good showing on MOTD between the years of 2008-2012.

like who? Demba Ba