Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Richardson gets torched because he's shite

. . . is a statement of the obvious. But given that our cup doth not overflow with quality left-backs, Richardson is likely to feature quite a lot this season. So then the question becomes, how do we mitigate the fact that he's 'shite'?

• Like 1

Cole looked completely disinterested with Roma, not entirely sure that would be a stroke of genius. Rather we spent money on a young left back with talent that will be good at Championship level to help us back up quickly

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Cole looked completely disinterested with Roma, not entirely sure that would be a stroke of genius. Rather we spent money on a young left back with talent that will be good at Championship level to help us back up quickly

That'll be Jordan Amavi then

• Like 4

I see silly season is here from the daily star 

• Manchester United sent scouts to watch Anderlecht’s midfield prodigy Youri Tielemans, who was also watched by representatives from Everton and Aston Villa (Daily Star)

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/480720/Manchester-United-Youri-Tielemans-Anderlecht-Scouting-Signing-Rumour-Gossip-Latest

Starsport understands Manchester United will have to fend off competition from arch-rivals Manchester City who are willing to splash £30m to secure his services.

I know it's the star but they state the source is Anderlecht online. Still it's worth a laugh 

Edit: we were probably looking at Praet not Tielemans and the press don't know shit. 

Edited by thabucks

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think the club are about to answer that with the purchase of Ashley Cole for five months

Woo hoo, another uninterested footballer to join the ranks. You really couldn't make it up could you. Ashley Cole who is a multi millionaire and who has won everything and who had his last contract terminated because he was utter gash and could not be arsed. Probably won't be match fit until March either!

Just when you though Aston Villa's recruitment policy couldn't get any more embarrassing.........

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/villa-boss-garde-confirms-interest-in-signing-ashley-cole

I know the press don't usually know shit but I'm clinging to the hope this once they do and Randy has given Remi extensive funds to help our chances. 

Garde is also targeting other signings, including a goalkeeper, striker and a creative midfielder, and will offload players to raise further funds.

13 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

As opposed to no one? In our desperate situation is say he's about the best we could hope for.

Well, no, obviously not opposed to no-one.  If the choice was "no-one" or "Steven Naismith", I'd go for Naismith. I just don't think that sort of signing is a priority.

I have no idea about Ashley Cole either.  He'll be 35 in 9 days (apparently).  Is he good enough to jump straight into our first team?  Will he represent decent value too?  Hmmmm.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Well, no, obviously not opposed to no-one.  If the choice was "no-one" or "Steven Naismith", I'd go for Naismith. I just don't think that sort of signing is a priority.

I have no idea about Ashley Cole either.  He'll be 35 in 9 days (apparently).  Is he good enough to jump straight into our first team?  Will he represent decent value too?  Hmmmm.

I don't think Cole would be great value (although he'd have no transfer fee so could be offset that way). I also don't think he'd be amazing.

But I do think he's good enough to jump straight into our team. Because our left backs are poop.

Similar to your Naismith opinion, I'd take Cole over nothing. But I'm not sure he's the best we could get.

Difficult one really. I'd take Cole purely based on experience but i'd also like to see us try and get Cissoko back as well. 

Would Cole take a 6 month deal?

January is going to be interesting. I suggested a few months back that Randy would likely panic and splash a few pennies but I just can't see who would come to us unless by some miracle we have a blinder between now and January and aren't rock bottom.

Not that I've seen. I don't think it is IMO. I'm sure Porto will have paid a fee to take him on loan so the only way I could imagine him being allowed to come back would be if we gave them some money back in return.

Doesn't really fit into Randolph's policy.

5 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Difficult one really. I'd take Cole purely based on experience but i'd also like to see us try and get Cissoko back as well. 

Would Cole take a 6 month deal?

January is going to be interesting. I suggested a few months back that Randy would likely panic and splash a few pennies but I just can't see who would come to us unless by some miracle we have a blinder between now and January and aren't rock bottom.

I don't understand the "who would come to us?!" line.  Loads of footballers would.  Tons of them!  I read somewhere last season that Burnley are richer than Ajax - that's the level of investment the Premier League has had.

Now, I'm not suggesting we can therefore just purchase anyone from anywhere, but I can't see why we'd struggle to recruit.  Players love the dolla.

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't understand the "who would come to us?!" line.  Loads of footballers would.  Tons of them!  I read somewhere last season that Burnley are richer than Ajax - that's the level of investment the Premier League has had.

Now, I'm not suggesting we can therefore just purchase anyone from anywhere, but I can't see why we'd struggle to recruit.  Players love the dolla.

They do but the ones we need are likely to want to play at the highest level for more than 6 months.

I think Ashley Cole would be an absolutely brilliant signing. If he's lost a little bit of pace he'll still be faster than most options available to us, he's won the champions league and has proved he can perform under the highest pressure, is calm, intelligent, and at his prime was described by many as the best left back in the world. I also imagine he could be a calming, positive influence on Clark or Okore if he gets to play left of centre.

If we are really turning our noses up to him, who else are we going to sign?