Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I read that Southampton might be looking to replace Victor Wanyama in January.

Anyone take him if they did? Would he come here?

Probably because he is off to Arsenal or somewhere. No chance of him coming to Villa.

People were mulling over whether Charlie Austin would be the right man for us last summer. When we go down, attracting Austin to us when we go down would be like attracting say Lukaku, Payet, Bolasie etc whilst still in the Premier League. Look at Brighton at the clubs at the top end of the Championship. Brighton have the likes of Zamora and Hemed up front, Middlesboro have Stuani & Fabbrini, Martin & Bent, Hull have Hernandez & Akpom. Look at Burnley lying in 5th place and their top signing cost a club record  - believed to be around £6m.

When we go down, we will not be seeing marquee signings of the past like Bent was. We need to get used to the fact that attracting players of a certain quality was difficult in the PL, in the Championship it will be almost impossible. We will be shopping around players that are going to make a lot of fans cringe.

Right now, in January, I would target Gray from Burnley. He has already scored 9 goals in 14 games for them this season. He scored 18 in 40+ for Brentford last season so he's already proven at that level. I would pay whatever it takes to bring him here in January in the hope that he can score straight away safe in the knowledge that, if he doesn't and we go down, we will have a proven goalscorer for that league who is already settled in at the club. I would seriously plan for buying the better players, in positions that we need to strengthen, from the Championship so that they are settled before the start of the season and have had some PL experience too. I think that would give us a stronger chance of coming back at the first attempt and, at coming back stronger.

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't say no to Naismith. Not exactly an amazing player but scores goals and, possibly more importantly, is a workhorse and is good at defending from the front.

Think he is a clever player as well and can lead the line on his own while having more mobility than Gestede or KOzak

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Naismith would be such a disappointing signing.

we are bottom of the table. I hope your not expecting a world class player or a wonderful prospect. We be lucky to sign West Brom reserves in our position

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Naismith would be such a disappointing signing.

Then I imagine you're in for a disappoint January window, because he's exactly the kind of player we'll be signing, imo.

• Like 2

Charley musonda from Chelsea seems to be available on loan. He needs games before the euros, we need a talented midfielder.? Could take Joe coles squad place. The kid is highly rated and could walk straight into our team. Benteke could hav a word. 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/09/report-aston-villa-everton-to-watch-genks-laurent-depoitre-in-ch/

According to the Daily Mail, a host of Premier League scouts, including those from Aston Villa and Everton, will watch Gent in Champions League action tonight as they assess Laurent Depoitre.

Depoitre, 26, is something of a late bloomer in Belgium, having risen from the likes of Tournai, Peruwelz, Eendracht Aalst and Oostende to eventually get his big move to Gent in 2014.

With 14 goals last season, the burly target man has certainly made an impression with Gent, whilst he has also found the net seven times this season.

His exploits with Gent handed him his first call up to the Belgian national team, and he marked it in style with a debut goal against Andorra, capping off a sensational start to the season.

Since then though, Depoitre has found life much tougher in front of goal, and he is now on a ten-game goal drought - but that isn't stopping Premier League clubs from pursuing his signature.

The Daily Mail report that, with Gent set to face Zenit St. Petersburg in the Champions League this evening, a host of Premier League scouts are set to watch the giant 6ft 3in target man in action.

It's stated that Aston Villa and Everton are interested in Depoitre and will assess his performance, whilst Crystal Palace, Leicester, Southampton, Tottenham and West Brom will also be scouting him tonight.

With Villa struggling for goals this season, Depoitre could be seen as the solution to Remi Garde's problems, whilst Everton may look for more cover for Depoitre's international team-mate Romelu Lukaku, who has been in stunning form this season

he'd fit right in with our lot: 

Since then though, Depoitre has found life much tougher in front of goal, and he is now on a ten-game goal drought - but that isn't stopping Premier League clubs from pursuing his signature.

I'm more concerned by " whilst Crystal Palace, Leicester, Southampton, Tottenham and West Brom will also be scouting him tonight "  no chance we can compete with any of them clubs not a prayer

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

To be fair you never hear much from villa full stop, I actually like the way we go about our transfer  business in a quiet and discrete fashion. The first your usually hear is when the we are close to a deal.

I just hope that we are on the verge of doing some sort of transfer business along the lines suggested below: 

3 hours ago, Richard said:

You know why I think that is John.  I think because the high ups at the club are waiting to see what kind of a position we are in come january to determine investment and thus targets.

If we have picked up points and sit just a few behind and with a better chance of retaining status they may invest in a certain type of player and be able to attract a certain type of player

If we have slipped further behind with little chance of staying up and it is a case of looking to next year and a promotion push then another route will be taken

If we are in a similar state to now with it not clear either way then god knows what they do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

we are bottom of the table. I hope your not expecting a world class player or a wonderful prospect. We be lucky to sign West Brom reserves in our position

Of course not - but Naismith is incredibly limited.

He works very hard off the ball but that really isn't what we need right now.  We need goals.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Of course not - but Naismith is incredibly limited.

He works very hard off the ball but that really isn't what we need right now.  We need goals.

On the contrary, I think that's something that we absolutely do need.
Obviously we need goals too, but our lack of ability to win the ball high up the pitch is awful, so a player like Naismith could be valuable.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

On the contrary, I think that's something that we absolutely do need.
Obviously we need goals too, but our lack of ability to win the ball high up the pitch is awful, so a player like Naismith could be valuable.

Completely disagree.  Where does he fit in our team in any case?  Do you play 2 up top and revert to a 4-4-2... which we're also not set up for?

I'd rather not shape the team around Steven Naismith.

Naismith hasnt played in 6 games and he still has as many goals as our top scorer. We be stupid for turning him away but I know some people on here would take him if he was called Stefano Naismaithino and never saw him play

• Like 1