The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

Regarding the above I've heard that The Black Eagle in Hockley has changed hands. 

Regular pub of the year, always busy due to fantastic landlord.  I've travelled way out of my way several times to go there in the past as I would guess have hundreds of others. 

New Landlord apparently terrible. Ripped out the handpumps. Music blaring. 

I predict a steady decline and closure. 

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

It just made me reflect, the formula really isn't that difficult. 

Reasonable prices, easy to get beer, good quality beer, different areas offering different things = a busy pub with happy punters and money being made. 

Essentially when pubs close they've got some or all of that wrong.  Good pubs thrive, they don't close. 

I absolutely agree about the formula not being that hard. Most of it is cleaning. Clean pipes/nozzles/optics religeously, clean tables clean toilets, clean glasses, clean cutlery. A subtle blend of friendly, attentive, yet liassez-faire staff. Decent products at fair prices. Genuinely caring is the key. People can tell if you're trying.

Having said that I think what we were chatting about in another thread is that in our lifetimes the formula has also changed a whole lot around those principles remaining the same. What I mean is, if you are a big pub, with a car park in a nice location that does food well (basically the harvester/carvery model) there's still expendable income out there and a nice living to be made. There are still a handful of lifestyle business type boozers that don't do food that can earn the person living there and running it every day 20-30k a year. I think the rise of the old retail unit craft beer bars is testament to this. Low overheads, high turnover of low profit items. We've seen the drinking culture change before our eyes and I suppose I'd argue that good pubs but in the wrong location or without decent car parking have closed. I'd argue good pubs surrounded by wetherspoons/punch etc in city centres have closed as less and less trade gets shared between less and less pubs. But also customers have changed. The idea of being in a city or big town having to throw coked up morons out of my pub does not appeal.

The one thing I still ponder to this day is about swearing in the pub. Where is the line?

No one wants to sit and eat sunday lunch with their kids with all effing and jeffing going on, but at the same time when people are drunk.... you know... standards can slip. Was always a fine line. I recently ended up in the local con club (hey it was a funeral) and one of my friends after a few pints, just couldn't stop swearing no matter how many times the bar staff asked him. I mean we found it funny, as a bunch of 40 somethings. But being al things to all people is tricky.

The Pride of Spitalfields, found it the East End while waiting to get home because of delayed flights. One of those un-findable places if not for google maps

The Brewers Gold was very good.

ELC-13858-144079-pride-of-spitalfields-s

pride-.jpg?crop=8:5,smart&quality=75&aut

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any recommendations down the bottom end of the M42? The MiL is over from the states and we want to take her somewhere nice for dinner that also has a proper British pub feel. We normally end up in the Barnt Green Inn. Hoping to find something similar but a bit less corporate. 

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Any recommendations down the bottom end of the M42? The MiL is over from the states and we want to take her somewhere nice for dinner that also has a proper British pub feel. We normally end up in the Barnt Green Inn. Hoping to find something similar but a bit less corporate. 

Depends how far you want to travel. 

We like The Red Lion in Earlswood or The Bulls Head in Earlswood. 

Further still The Red Lion in Claverdon is really nice with great views and you get to drive through Henley in Arden which is going to impress any American. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, choffer said:

Whats your local spoonys? Can't get anything more British than that ;) 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Xela said:

Whats your local spoonys? Can't get anything more British than that ;) 

I'd say The Black Horse in Northfield. A particularly special example of even a Wetherspoons. 

• Like 1

I know its been mentioned many times on here, but The Old Joint Stock, what a great pub :) 

Was rammed after work last night... I guess its most people's last day in the office for the week, with a lot of people WFH on a Friday. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know its been mentioned many times on here, but The Old Joint Stock, what a great pub :) 

Was rammed after work last night... I guess its most people's last day in the office for the week, with a lot of people WFH on a Friday. 

Always a good solid pub if a little expensive. 

• Like 1

On 05/11/2023 at 13:57, choffer said:

Fluer de Leys - Lowsonford 

Durham Ox - Shrewley

Tom O Wood - Rowington

Bulls Head - Earlswood 

then a little more corporate as a chain, The Farm Shirley 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sidcow said:

We ruled The Sly Old Fox last night. 

Forgot it had a jukebox, monopolised it and got the pub singing to some awesome tunes. 

Have they refurbished that? I haven't been there since Scottish Cafu ruled.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

We ruled The Sly Old Fox last night. 

Forgot it had a jukebox, monopolised it and got the pub singing to some awesome tunes. 

There is only so many Blancmange songs you can put on.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2023 at 23:08, Spoony said:

Visiting brum soon. Help me plan a night out please. 3 lads in their 30s but might as well be in their late 50s, none single, like a drink, will have just come from the footie, won’t want any form of dancing or loud music, want a nice meal before pints and a late one in a relatively lively setting. Live music would be a bonus. A DJ playing Mr Brightside will result in a very fast escape from the midlands. 

Need this around central-ish London next week. Islington area.

Help me those who know the big smoke.

On 21/10/2023 at 08:51, VILLAMARV said:

I absolutely agree about the formula not being that hard. Most of it is cleaning. Clean pipes/nozzles/optics religeously, clean tables clean toilets, clean glasses, clean cutlery. 

This. The bitter drinkers in the pub I worked in could tell uncleaned pipes a mile off. Also they would use the same glass all night, as it tasted better after a couple of pints.

• Like 2

Â