The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Oh sure. We all know about the protected buildings that lay empty for decades rotting, bring vandalised until torched. 

The Red Lion in Handsworth has been empty over a decade. Thats a similar fantastic building. 

I found the food in the Barton Arms overrated to be honest. It was good, but there are/were better Thai restaurants in Brum.

Hope the pub itself is preserved though, it's amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

I remember someone, or quite a few actually, mentioning Butty Bach ale.

Well I sampled my first one the other week.........and can confirm it is indeed a fine drop.

Oh it really is. 

I also like a sip of Butcombe every so often. Be careful how you order it though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Owners of the Crooked House have been ordered to rebuild it 👏

Good result. Lets hope they do it. Similar to the Carlton Tavern in Kilburn.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Good result. Lets hope they do it. Similar to the Carlton Tavern in Kilburn.

Yeah, and hopefully they can get past the company which will liquidate and straight at the Directors personal wealth. I'm bloody glad I don't arrange their D&O insurance. Going to be some awkward conversations. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Interesting day in that there London today. 

First stop was The Famous Cock (KW) traditional London Boozer next to Highbury and Islington station. 

It was OK. Only had Doom Bar on though so I had a couple of lagers. 

Surprisingly quiet, I thought there might have been some Villa in there as its an obvious change station on the way to West Ammm. 

Then onto Hackney Wick for some undercover drinking in trendy bars. First up Crate Brewery and Pizzeria https://www.cratebrewery.com

Then Howling Hops Brewery and Tank Bar. https://www.howlinghops.co.uk/

Superb Smashed burger, why it's smashed and not just a burger I've no idea. 

Anyway all very hip and trendy with every building in the area coated in graffiti. Obviously craft Ales only unfortunately. 

Very Digbethy vibe in the area. 

Was an interesting day but I'm sad Cask Ales just seem to be dying out altogether. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I don’t think it’s been mentioned on here but the red lion in the jewellery quarter has been bought by Joules.

Last time I was there it did feel like it wasn’t quite reaching its potential. Pleased that Joules have a spot in the area, nice to have another good option.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think it’s been mentioned on here but the red lion in the jewellery quarter has been bought by Joules.

Last time I was there it did feel like it wasn’t quite reaching its potential. Pleased that Joules have a spot in the area, nice to have another good option.

Nice one. So we can expect some nice yummy mummy clothing lines in there in future? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Highbury and Islington station.

Was up there last night. Needed to go a way up the Holloway Rd. Ended up at the Landseer Arms. Nice place, but not one to be described as a must visit.

A fun one around there is the Hammerton Brewery tap room.

IMG_20190831_171633-1024x768-3517831441.jpg.a500b287ff08209082117c8c6ab42999.jpg

They do great beer and their signature strong chocolate bar stouts. There's a pizza oven too.

It's west of Highbury & Islington. They also have a pub to the north. Both are walking distance from the tube.

• Like 1

Titanic Brewery are in talks to take on the Pig in Lichfield - so with the Quill and Scholar (formally the Crown) due to open this month we will be back to a full house of open pubs on Tamworth Street 👌

Edited by Walmley_Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Wooooo! Although the building being saved doesn't automatically translate to it being brought back to life. But fingers crossed!!!

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

Wooooo! Although the building being saved doesn't automatically translate to it being brought back to life. But fingers crossed!!!

Just sitting here waiting for the fire. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Golden Lion in Brixham has had a mural painted on the side of the building.

There's a time lapse video of it being done on FB here https://www.facebook.com/reel/1438227343752453

and here's a picture of the finished article. Looks really cool.

The pub was closed for a while and has been taken over with new owners giving it a good go.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Planning a Pub crawl in Stirchley on Friday:

Attic Brew Co

Birmingham Brewing Company 

The British Oak 

Wildcat Tap

The Bournbrook Inn

Either Cork and Cage or back to The British Oak depending on how many of our party of 30 remains 

Â